What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
    Being part of this board exposes me to many authors and books I would never have read otherwise. I'm currently reading The Rising by Brian Keene and liking it a lot. I am also listening to Old Man's War by John Scalzi, which I think is fantastic.
    My TBR list is enormous.
    Thanks for all the recommendations.
    Been on a bit of a Scalzi kick recently. Old Man's War is great. You should check out Collapsing Empire also.

Comment

Thanks Martin,

I intend to read the lot.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
        Thanks Martin,

I intend to read the lot.
        Cool, I am about 3/4 through the Old Man's War series. Mr. Scalzi is appearing in Portland to promote the second book in the Collapsing Empire series. Me an a friend who also likes his writing are planning to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Cool, I am about 3/4 through the Old Man's War series. Mr. Scalzi is appearing in Portland to promote the second book in the Collapsing Empire series. Me an a friend who also likes his writing are planning to attend.
          I enjoyed Old Man's War - never read any of the follow-ups, and the only other Scalzi stuff I read were shorts that I got from various Sub Press Humble Bumbles. I've been on a bit of a sci-fi kick lately, but have tried to give myself a break (although Ken Liu's Paper Menagerie could be considered sci-fi by some . . .) but one day I'd like to read some of his stuff.

And it's kind of funny - you always mention authors - so I assume Powells - and I always think it's easier for me to get to Powell's than it is for me to get to say Elliot Bay or Third Place up in the Seattle area. Which makes no sense. Maybe it's because a trip to Portland is a TRIP - days off and food and plans - whereas a trip to Seattle is something I have to do after work, which means I've been up since 4;15, I won't get home until midnight and have to get back up again at 4:15 the following morning. I'm exhausted just thinking about that.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
            I enjoyed Old Man's War - never read any of the follow-ups, and the only other Scalzi stuff I read were shorts that I got from various Sub Press Humble Bumbles. I've been on a bit of a sci-fi kick lately, but have tried to give myself a break (although Ken Liu's Paper Menagerie could be considered sci-fi by some . . .) but one day I'd like to read some of his stuff.

And it's kind of funny - you always mention authors - so I assume Powells - and I always think it's easier for me to get to Powell's than it is for me to get to say Elliot Bay or Third Place up in the Seattle area. Which makes no sense. Maybe it's because a trip to Portland is a TRIP - days off and food and plans - whereas a trip to Seattle is something I have to do after work, which means I've been up since 4;15, I won't get home until midnight and have to get back up again at 4:15 the following morning. I'm exhausted just thinking about that.
            Mr. Scalzi's appearance will actually be at the Clackamas Town Center Barnes & Noble rather than Powell's. I would prefer Powell's as they have dedicated space.

Comment

Mr. Scalzi's appearance will actually be at the Clackamas Town Center Barnes & Noble rather than Powell's. I would prefer Powell's as they have dedicated space.
              Clackamas definitely isn't as prestigious as Powell's.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                Clackamas definitely isn't as prestigious as Powell's.
                Similar drive, don't have to pay to park and a plethora of places to eat before the event so it has advantages but no dedicated space could be problematic if it is a popular appearance.

Comment

Finally got around to reading Gone Girl. Fantastic story!

Comment

Finally got around to reading Gone Girl. Fantastic story!
                    My wife read it and loved it. I waited for CD’s limited to come out so I could read it, but just haven’t gotten to it. Really want to, though. I really enjoyed Sharp Objects.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      My wife read it and loved it. I waited for CD’s limited to come out so I could read it, but just haven’t gotten to it. Really want to, though. I really enjoyed Sharp Objects.
                      I read the CD limited. It sat on my shelf for way too long before I read it. I have Sharp Objects on order but may not wait for the CD release to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                        I'm not familiar with those.
                        Sorry I missed this Dan. Written by David Weber, The Series kicks off On Basilisk Station and has sort of morphed into a space opera cottage industry. I've enjoyed all of them. Having said that some are certainly better than others. Give them a try if you like C.S. Forester swash buckling type of sci-fi space opera.

Comment

I just finished the second book in James A. Moore's Seven Forges series. I have mixed feeling about things so far, but I am mostly intrigued, so I will push on to book three, City of Wonders. I have high hopes!!

Comment

I'm still reading Japan in the Second World War in Color by David Batty. I finished The Complete Max Collins/Rick Fletcher #2 Who Shot Pat Patton? Now, I'm into The Transfiguration Of Mister Punch by Charles Schneider, D. P. Watt and Cate Gardner. The first section is by Charles Schneider and it's slow going.

Cap
                            Last edited by c marvel; 11-24-2018, 05:03 AM.
                            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Reading The Chalk Man by C.J.Tudor. Half way through it and it's really good.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                                Reading The Chalk Man by C.J.Tudor. Half way through it and it's really good.
                                good to hear! I preordered the SubPress edition based on William Schafer's raving praise!

Comment

Working...
                                X