No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read Gone to See the River Man and enjoyed it. Made me move up A Cold Place for Dying on my TBR.

I'm reading Midas by Tyler Jones and I'm really liking it. Different book than I would normally read (it's set in 1859 and deals with an old map and a mystery) but I love coming back to it.

Comment

Just finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Kristopher Triana's "A Cold Place for Dying".  Really enjoyed this one, but I personally consider it slightly lesser Triana in the sense that it didn't have that jaw-dropping holy crap moment.  It was just a really well written, really strong story.  Felt like kind of a cross between a Jack Ketchum & Richard Matheson story.  The human emotion in this one feels very real, and it has a kick-ass premise that you could totally buy as a reader.  I also loved the bonus "Love Nest" story at the end.  Again, nothing earthshattering, just a really fun and creepy horror story, king of his version of a totally messed-up Lovecraft story.  After reading each of these stories back-to-back, you can also see where he came up with one of his newest books, A Fine Evening in Hell, which feels like it was pulled from the best parts of each of the aforementioned stories.  Overall, I am very happy to add this book to ever expanding Triana collection and would give it a solid C+ to B- grade.

Am now reading the Thunderstorm LE of Sam W. Anderson's "The Money Run".  This was a complete impulse buy and I have no idea what to expect, but the premise sounds up my alley and I trust Thunderstorm's author line-up; so, fingers crossed!  

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

It’s been 25 years or so since I’ve read it, but I do remember really liking The Damnation Game.

I think it was his first novel & was more of a horror novel than his later books, which tended to be more fantasy in nature.

I‘ve never read The Great and Secret Show, though I have heard good things about it. Have it in my TBR pile somewhere.

B
        Brlesh, thank for the reply...sorry took so long to respond, I come here infrequently (unfortunately). Thanks for that opinion, I will try to check the book out. I agree, Barker definitely went the fantasy route soon enough (the only one I would be interested in perhaps is Weaveworld).

Comment

I’m about 2/3 of the way through Animal Farm by George Orwell. First read AF in high school, and then several times after. It never gets old. In fact, with the current issues with totalitarian regimes in Russia, China, Iran and NK, AF is as relevant today as it was 75 years ago. With AF & 1984, Orwell was a truly visionary author

B

Comment

Originally posted by JJ123 View Post

Brlesh, thank for the reply...sorry took so long to respond, I come here infrequently (unfortunately). Thanks for that opinion, I will try to check the book out. I agree, Barker definitely went the fantasy route soon enough (the only one I would be interested in perhaps is Weaveworld).
            Another one of Barker’s novels that I liked, though it does seem to divide his readers, was Sacrament. At the time it was published, he claimed it was his most autobiographical novel to date.

B

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Another one of Barker’s novels that I liked, though it does seem to divide his readers, was Sacrament. At the time it was published, he claimed it was his most autobiographical novel to date.

B
              I liked Sacrament quite a bit. And I like it more the more I reflect on it. 

Comment

Finished reading the Thunderstorm LE of Sam W. Anderson's "The Money Run". While a solid read, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. The book kind of had a Joe Lansdale lite feeling to it, but I can also see why the Tarantino mentions have been made in reviews. There were some laugh out loud moments and lots of interesting characters; however, the author never quite leaned into the depravity of the situations and stories like I was expecting (with one or two exceptions). Overall, I would probably give it a C- to C grade.

Am now reading the Suntup AGE of William Peter Blatty's "Legion", a first time read for me.

Comment

Took a break from On the Hierophant Road by James Chambers (half way through & so-so at this point).

Started Schindler’s List by Thomas Keneally. Half way through at this point.

It’s an incredible historical account (both positive & negative).

As a reading experience, it’s rather bland.

One step above reading a text book, though the story has picked up about 1/3 of the way through.

B

Comment

Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of William Peter Blatty's "Legion", a first time read for me (also never seen the movie). While it shows its' age in places, I really enjoyed this one. Loved the philosophy of the book and the Kinderman character in general. Had never heard of the Angel theory the book posits. The book also had some really gruesome scenes. Also loved the way that the author tied the book to the Exorcist without going overboard. I'm very glad that I finally got around to giving this "Exorcist" sequel a read. It definitely stands on its own. Overall, I would give it a solid B- grade.

Am now reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal", another first time read for me. Have read the preceding Lecter books, just not this one or its sequel, which I also have on deck!

Comment

Finally getting around to reading Christopher Buehlman's THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER via a used tpb I found a while back, see if that rather enticing S/L HC from Midworld Press is something I need or not.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It's a good read -- though takes a slow-burn, character-building approach so that things only start happening around halfway through, which kind of tried my patience -- but is not one that I need a $100 limited of. Reminds me somewhat of his other one I read, THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB. That one actually started off great, with a vivid, exciting scene...and then, like this one, slowed down and built character to the point where it felt the story took a bit of a backseat to the construct of those populating it -- though THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER takes it to an even greater degree. Buehlman is clearly a talented writer with much to offer, but his style appears to generally not be to my current taste, based on my two reads. I enjoy a slow-burn as much as the next reader who came of novel-reading age in the '80s, but a balance between character and plot, of narrative forward-motion, is key for me these days, and THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER definitely tilted the scales.
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Suicide Motor Club and Rovers, I enjoyed both of them!

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          Suicide Motor Club and Rovers, I enjoyed both of them!
                          ROVERS was actually by Richard Lange, not Buehlman, and I agree, that one I enjoyed. Not overly original (ala Steinbeck's OF MICE AND MEN, King's BLAZE, etc.), but very well done.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I thought they both had the same kind of feel though. I know you're not a big fantasy fan Ron, But I thought Buehlman's Black Tongued Thief as great. He is writing a sequel/pre-sequel.

Comment

About halfway through my first re-read of Hugh Howey's Shift. Shift is the first sequel to Wool.

I read this (and the third book, Dust) years ago, and I have such a vague recollection of what happened.

Decided on this re-read because we've been watching AppleTV's adaptation of Wool (they call it Silo) and we've been enjoying it immensely. I think I posted some of my observations on another thread so I won't repeat myself.

Right before Shift, I read the first collection of Bendis's Daredevil and damn that was good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                                Finally getting around to reading Christopher Buehlman's THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER via a used tpb I found a while back, see if that rather enticing S/L HC from Midworld Press is something I need or not.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It's a good read -- though takes a slow-burn, character-building approach so that things only start happening around halfway through, which kind of tried my patience -- but is not one that I need a $100 limited of. Reminds me somewhat of his other one I read, THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB. That one actually started off great, with a vivid, exciting scene...and then, like this one, slowed down and built character to the point where it felt the story took a bit of a backseat to the construct of those populating it -- though THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER takes it to an even greater degree. Buehlman is clearly a talented writer with much to offer, but his style appears to generally not be to my current taste, based on my two reads. I enjoy a slow-burn as much as the next reader who came of novel-reading age in the '80s, but a balance between character and plot, of narrative forward-motion, is key for me these days, and THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER definitely tilted the scales.
                                Those Across the River was definitely a slow burn of a book, but still one that I quite enjoyed.

While slow moving, it definitely built a sense of unease and had a genuine creepy feel to it.

Kind of surprised that TATR doesn’t get mentioned more in discussions of werewolf novels.

My biggest complaint with the story was with the ending.

Buehlman puts three times the action in the last 80 pages compared to the first 250 pages.

It just made the ending feel rushed, almost to the extent that I was reading a different story (or one written by a different author).

The ending turned what would have been a great read for me into a just a good read.

B

Comment

Working...
                                X