What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    They do not need to be read in any particular order, right? They're not connected, I believe.
    No, they are not connected

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
      Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.Fantastic book so far.
      Great book! I haven't read her other two books yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Comment

Reading Crooked House by Joe McKinney right now, which is great so far. Recently finished William Meikle's The Ravine, which was a great read.
        Last edited by RJK1981; 04-16-2014, 03:06 AM. Reason: typo
        WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
        Spoiler!

Comment

Read through Norm Prestiss' The Thing with the Feather chapbook from White Noise Press. Very good. Great grotesque openning; but I have a problem with works that are centered around a more famous work.
          Spoiler!
          It gets a little heavy-handed in the middle section and too literal when it should be left open, but over all it was enjoyable.
          Last edited by srboone; 04-21-2014, 04:28 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Just finished Dr.J's autobiography. I don't usually read autobiographies but c'mon it's DR.J. Now reading White Fire by Preston & Child. Love those guys.

Comment

Just finished "Half A King" by Joe Abercrombie. Whoo!

Comment

I love that guy. I have "Half A King" on order from Amazon. Great to hear it's good.
                Mike

Comment

Just got through a decent list of reads:

The Thing With Feathers was my first Norman Prentiss story and while it was decent, I think that all the positive buzz I've heard about his work built up my expectations too much. Decent story and the chapbook by White Noise is beautiful in its presentation.

I followed up that read with another Prentiss-penned tale that's been on my shelf for a while: The Fleshless Man. This story of two brothers dealing with their mother's terminal illness was fantastic. Creepy, haunting and slightly surreal, I liked this quite a bit. I will say that the mini-hardcover isn't my favorite format.

I also finished the fourth Felix Castor book by Mike Carey, Thicker Than Water. As with all the Castor novels, I found this to be highly entertaining, though not quite as good as the second and third books in the series. I felt this one was more of a set-up for the fifth book, which is already on my bookshelf waiting its turn in the queue. Anybody who hasn't tried Carey's Felix Castor novels should really give them a shot. Tons of fun!

And last but not least is The Buffalo Hunter by Peter Straub. As with most of Straub's work, I find that a second reading always brings more clarity to his work (though Ballard and Sandrine might require three or four readings) and this is no exception. When I first read this novella, I enjoyed it but was underwhelmed. Reading it again, I found myself immersed in poor Bunting's world and was reminded how masterful a storyteller Straub is. A fantastic read!

Comment

Sock Monkey - I too enjoyed The Fleshless Man. Very good story.

I am finishing up Needful Things. Probably at the top of the list of King books I have read for sure.

Comment

I really enjoyed The Fleshless Man as well. I'm with you on the mini-hardcovers though, not really a fan. I think I could only do them with authors I like a lot, like Prentiss. The only other one of Darkfuse's novellas that I have in hardcover was from Kealan Patrick Burke, another of my favorite authors.
                      Spoiler!

Comment

Oh, and I am reading Prophets of the Ghost Ants by Clark Thomas Carlton
                        Spoiler!

Comment

Started Pitfall by Ron Kelly today. Damn, he knows how to spin a good yarn!
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Lisa Morton's Malediction, up for the Stoker this Saturday. Yes, she has to beat NOS4A2, and looming even larger, Doctor Sleep, but this girl can write show-stopping prose. I once saw one of her tales beat the crap out of Bradbury when appearing back-to-back in an anthology. Not quite finished, but this book is highly recommended.

*edit
                            Finished, and yes, highly recommended. For you L.A. natives there's no small amount of our history and folklore involved. The book strikes a cool balance between horror and history, simplicity and richness.
                            Last edited by bugen; 05-09-2014, 03:20 AM.
                            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
                            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

I just finished up Needful Things - really enjoyed it!

Now, onto pb copy of The Shining. I actually just recently saw the movie on TV, and my wife bought my Doctor Sleep. I will admit that I have not read the book, but seen the movie more than a few times, so I am very curious to see the differences.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                                I just finished up Needful Things - really enjoyed it!

Now, onto pb copy of The Shining. I actually just recently saw the movie on TV, and my wife bought my Doctor Sleep. I will admit that I have not read the book, but seen the movie more than a few times, so I am very curious to see the differences.
                                I think you're in for some shocks. Good ones. I think one of the best ways to put it might be: Stephen King's books are about characters and Stanley Kubrick's movies are about images.
                                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Working...
                                X