No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Forum by James Newman: A decent story revolving around a serial killer online forum. Nothing earth-shaking, but not a bad way to spend an hour or so. I did see the ending coming though.

The Gunslinger: The Dark Tower Book I by Stephen King: Please tell me that this series gets better. I've had a friend bothering me to read this series for a while now and recently decided to give it a shot after reading "The Little Sisters of Eluria", which I thought was good. This wavered from good (the events in Tull and the flashbacks to Roland's youth) to pretty tedious (everything else). Though I'm not the world's biggest Stephen King fan, I do enjoy most of his work (I couldn't put Lisey's Story or Duma Key down). This one pretty much left me cold.

Comment

While I loved the DT series. Gunslinger, to me, is sort of dry and fragmented. Drawing of the Three is great! Press on.

Comment

LOL
        I read Drawing of the Three first because I couldn't find a copy of Gunslinger before Drawing came out. I loved Drawing and when Gunslinger later came out in paperback I was bored by it. I reread it again early last year and it made more sense and has a lot in it that pertains to events later in the series. King later updated the text for Gunslinger so it flowed better and so it was more consistent with the other books in the series. Don't give up on it, at least get through Drawing before you decide to stop, that one is my favorite.

Edit: I should add, if you read it, make sure it's the revised version published in 2003 so you get the changes King made to it.
        Last edited by subie09lega; 01-02-2014, 06:21 PM. Reason: Updated

Comment

Yes. My favorite would be a tie between Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass.

Comment

Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
            LOL
            I read Drawing of the Three first because I couldn't find a copy of Gunslinger before Drawing came out. I loved Drawing and when Gunslinger later came out in paperback I was bored by it. I reread it again early last year and it made more sense and has a lot in it that pertains to events later in the series. King later updated the text for Gunslinger so it flowed better and so it was more consistent with the other books in the series. Don't give up on it, at least get through Drawing before you decide to stop, that one is my favorite.

Edit: I should add, if you read it, make sure it's the revised version published in 2003 so you get the changes King made to it.
            Good to hear that I'm not the only one that had issues with this book. I'm equally as glad to hear it gets better. I did read the revised edition so I'm happy on I'm the right track at least! I'll give the next book a shot before I make up my mind whether to stop or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              Yes. My favorite would be a tie between Drawing of the Three and Wizard and Glass.
              So Book 2 and Book 4 are your favorite, which gives me hope. If everyone was like "Book 1 is great, but it's all downhill from there..." I might throw in the towel.

Comment

It gets better. The fist story is probably the weakest.
                Last edited by Martin; 01-09-2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                  I like to change up what I read, as far as genre goes. Usually it's a mix of horror, sci-fi. I decided to start a courtroom drama type (Grisham's Sycamore Row), as it was a gift for Christmas, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised how much I am into it. It flows good, chapters are short (which I like), characters seem to be well developed, and the story up until now, is quite "real". Would I jump into this genre more...... hard to say. It's the only book like this I own, and with so many "to read" that I have on my bookshelf.

Again though, it is nice to broaden my horizons in terms of the kind of books.
                  Michael Connely's Mickey Haller (The Lincoln Lawyer) series is pretty good.

Comment

It's 3 degrees out and we are having a blizzard. So I am reading Chills by Rick Hautala.

Comment

Hey Sock, I didn't mind the first but I get what you mean. Drawing of the Three is probably my fav of the series. Wastelands is fine/par, Wizard and Glass can be tedious (love or hate relationship) but I think its the second best book of the series. I struggled with Wolves of the Calla and somewhat with Song of Susannah however I got through the final book in relatively good speed despite the size of the book.

Comment

I started Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman yesterday.

Comment

Super book. Enjoy.
                          Originally posted by Highbury View Post
                          I started Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman yesterday.

Comment

Just finished China Marine: An Infantryman's Life after WW II by E.B. Sledge. Nice little companion piece to his more famous book With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa. His regiment was sent to North China right after the shooting stopped in the Pacific. Really interesting, communists, Bandits, Nationalists, Japanese still running around, some working with the US, others not. Very well written. Working my way through George MacDonald Fraser's, of Flashman fame, Quartered Safe Out Here: A Harrowing Tale of World War II. The book is about his participation in the Burma Campaign. The Dialect is great. Hard to read at times, but great. I'm really enjoying it.

Comment

Starting Looking For Mr. Goodbar

Comment

I did it!!! I made it through Justine, Philosophy in the Bedroom & Other Writings by the Marquis de Sade. I don't have quite the sense of accomplishment I had when I finished War and Peace or Don Quixote, but that's one more thing off my bucket TBR.

Started David Copperfield.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Working...
                                X