What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I'll trade you a James Patterson novel (BCE) and a Danielle Steele (sp?) hard cover missing the dust jacket and we'll call it even!
    Sure but you're overpaying.

Comment

Just finished Joe Hill's STRANGE WEATHER (though disappointedly I'm still waiting on the CD S/L edition of it that I ordered almost exactly two years ago today). Liked it more than reviews I'd read might have suggested...I thought all four novellas were pretty strong, though the acclaim that ALOFT typically gets over the others is deserved. I enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to the four-volume set that CD will be sending me...sometime.

Then I enjoyed THE ART OF RAFAEL DESOTO, a coffee-table-size art book of his art from the pulps, men's adv. mags, and paperback covers that I picked up from Illustrated Press. It (and a coupon from B&N) inspired me to finally pick up the Reginald Heade artbook I'd been putting off for some time.

Now I tackle my TBR pile to see what's next...not sure yet what my mood is, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I make my selection.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
        Finally getting around to reading the SubPress limited of Robert C. Cargill's "Sea of Rust". Am about three -quarters through and am really enjoying it. I'm sure this book drives the hard-sci-fi readers nuts as some of the science is a bit thin, but this is exactly the type of sci-fi reading that I enjoy. Am hoping the author nails the ending and that it isn't overly saccharine. So far, a solid four star read for me.
        Hope you enjoy it...I read the same Sub Press edition you are, and really enjoyed it.

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...736135168?s=20

Like you, I like my sci-fi decidely light, and this one did the trick very nicely. I had read READY PLAYER ONE a short while before, and enjoyed that one as well...same kind of light SF that usually hits me just right. I wish there were more such books (and maybe there are and I'm just not aware of them)...seems like anytime I browse for similar works, I run into title after title of either hard (or medium-baked) SF or epic fantasy, neither of which are for me.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Just finished Joe Hill's STRANGE WEATHER (though disappointedly I'm still waiting on the CD S/L edition of it that I ordered almost exactly two years ago today). Liked it more than reviews I'd read might have suggested...I thought all four novellas were pretty strong, though the acclaim that ALOFT typically gets over the others is deserved. I enjoyed this one, and am looking forward to the four-volume set that CD will be sending me...sometime.

Then I enjoyed THE ART OF RAFAEL DESOTO, a coffee-table-size art book of his art from the pulps, men's adv. mags, and paperback covers that I picked up from Illustrated Press. It (and a coupon from B&N) inspired me to finally pick up the Reginald Heade artbook I'd been putting off for some time.

Now I tackle my TBR pile to see what's next...not sure yet what my mood is, but I guess I'll find out tonight when I make my selection.
          I really enjoyed Strange Weather. Aloft is a great story with Rain being very strong as well.

Comment

I'm currently on a vacation trip home to North Dakota/Minn. I have not yet gone back to The Fredric Brown double novel The Screaming Mimi and I have left Our Lady Of the Shadows by Tony Richards in my car. On this trip I read The Graveyard Reader, 12 short tales, edited by Groff Conklin. Now I'm reading The Case Of The Crumpled Knave by Anthony Boucher.

Cap
            Last edited by c marvel; 09-20-2019, 04:48 PM. Reason: Fix info.
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              I really enjoyed Strange Weather. Aloft is a great story with Rain being very strong as well.
              Aloft was the weakest for me. Just seemed a like a story of some dude
              Spoiler!
              Loaded was the best for me by far. Followed by Snapshot.

Comment

I finished reading The Case Of The Crumpled Knave by Anthony Boucher. It was an okay read. The plot was confusing which I expected from reading the brief description on the book's back cover. I am now reading The Sea Flower by Ruth Moore. I picked up this paperback at a Fargo used bookstore.

Cap
                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Am about half-way through a reread of the SubPress limited of Dan Simmons' "Summer of Night". Loved it when I first read it and love it just as much now! Definitely in my top 5 horror/coming of age books. Will probably be reading James Sallis' "Sarah Jane" next as I picked it up at a book signing of his last night. I love me some James Sallis and cannot understand why he isn't more of a household name. Everything I've ever read of his has been stunning.

Comment

Just started PINES by Blake Crouch and so far loving it.

Comment

Started Brother and have read 100 pages. This book is amazing. I'm very happy that I jumped on the Suntup edition.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        Just started PINES by Blake Crouch and so far loving it.
                        Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                        Started Brother and have read 100 pages. This book is amazing. I'm very happy that I jumped on the Suntup edition.
                        Both fantastic reads!

Comment

Last night I finished THE RIVER by Peter Heller. A little heavy on the exposition and character development, but I get what Heller was trying to do -- really create a character-driven narrative so that you fear for them and feel their plight. Still could have a used a little editing to trim some fat. But all in all, pretty darn good.

I think next will be Bernard Taylor's new short-story collection from Valancourt.

Comment

Just finished Brother and it's definitely now one of my favorite books I've ever read.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                              Just finished Brother and it's definitely now one of my favorite books I've ever read.
                              It was a great read. I will be trying something else by this author.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                                It was a great read. I will be trying something else by this author.
                                I already have another one of her books in my tbr pile. It's a paperback of 2 of her novellas.

Comment

Working...
                                X