Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through Winterset Hollow by Johnathan Edward Durham. I hadn't ever heard of this book before, but someone mentioned here that it might be one of Suntup's next releases (debut novel, a book about a book, etc.)

So far I'm really enjoying it. The twist that occurred in the beginning really through me for a loop and I can't wait to see where it goes.

My next book may be the new Silvia Moreno-Garcia novel that just came today - Silver Nitrate. I really enjoyed Mexican Gothic and this one sounds really good.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I'm glad your shark wasn't feeling hungry, TD!
    Luckily this species (six-gill shark) isn't known to be aggressive.

The BEST part is immediately after not being dead, I was able to get three pictures of a shark pup. At the time, I was the only known diver to have seen a shark pup, AND I had photographs to prove it too.

Leave a comment:

• JeremyM
    replied
    Just wrapped up 'Roadside Picnic' - the new FS version illustrated by Dave McKean. I really enjoyed it, though the ending felt a little abrupt. It reminded me a little of Gibson's short story 'The Hinterlands', which is also an alien encounter story without the aliens. Was surprised to learn that AMC had commissioned a TV series based on the novel that got as far as a pilot but failed to go to full production - trailer for the pilot can be found on the internet. Arguably 'Tales from the Loop' also owes a bit to 'Roadside Picnic' as well, though that certainly has a more optimistic worldview to go along with the uncertainty of discovery.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Feel like I am on a string of bad luck with my recent reads.  I tried completing my Suntup AGE of Patrick McCabe's "The Butcher Boy" but could not do it.  Just could not connect to the story or characters no matter how much I tried.  This is the first book that I have DNF'd in forever and I feel like crap for doing it.  Luckily, this was a random buy during one of Suntup's dinged sales so I didn't pay full-price.  

After this one, I decided to read my Suntup AGE of David Seltzer's "The Omen".  This was a first time read for me.  I found it to be very underwhelming.  Not a bad book by any means, but nothing really special either.  I just could not connect to the main characters, especially the husband Jermey Thorn, which I think took a lot of the air out of the story for me.  I also think it took way too long for the scary bits to kick-in.  Once they finally did, in the last quarter of the book, I had pretty much checked-out which is too bad as there were some genuinely scary parts by that point, especially the dog attack in the cemetery.  As a side note, I have never seen the movie and wonder if I would have more affinity for this book if I had.  Overall, I would give this a D+ to C- rating.

I am now reading my Suntup AGE of Blake Crouch's "Dark Matter".  This is a first time read for me as well and I have very high hopes as I loved his Pines trilogy!     

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy121070
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    That's terrifying. If that happened to me, I think that would be the last time I ever went near a body of water!
    That DID happen to me, and that WAS the last time I went in any non-pool body of water, lol.

I'm glad your shark wasn't feeling hungry, TD!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    That's terrifying. If that happened to me, I think that would be the last time I ever went near a body of water!

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I lost the video over the years which is a bummer - it was a great video in the style of Blair Witch - shaky cam, darkness, flashlight flashing, and a SHARK!

This isn't the one that knocked me over, but it was the one I saw right before I saw the one that knocked me over.

IMAG0010.jpg

This is the one did knock me over:
    IMAG0015.jpg
    (I always thought that these pics were of different sharks - I may have been mistake by looking at them now, regardless of what my notes may say.)

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I once had a 14-foot shark run into me and knock me over underwater - they're not easily avoided.

Well, maybe if you avoid the water? I still think she was out to get me.
    AHHHHH that's terrifying! Of course sharks are only easily avoided once you are out of the water. You're never going to bump into one at the movie theater, for example. hahahahaha but if your lifestyle includes lots of splashing it's a threat.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I loved Jaws. Lots of themes and things to unpack from that story. Seems everyone (including the shark) is out of place. And that discord brings violence. I'm in a very small minority on this, but I never. understood what was so special about the movie. A shark is an easily avoidable danger. At least in the book, there are compelling reasons the shark remains a threat. It actually highlights how bad countless decisions and human drama feed that shark.
    I once had a 14-foot shark run into me and knock me over underwater - they're not easily avoided.

Well, maybe if you avoid the water? I still think she was out to get me.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished up On the Hierophant Road by James Chambers. Â An OK read.
    Started Jaws by Peter Benchley. Â It’s probably been 45 years since I first read Jaws. Â
    At the time I didn’t care for the book. Â Loved the he movie, and was probably too young to appreciate the novel. Â
    Right now I’m 130 pages in and it is the most compelling & readable thing I’ve read in months.
    Easy to see why Jaws was a best seller nearly 50 years ago.
    Maybe this is the book that breaks me out of my months long reading slump.
    B
    I loved Jaws. Lots of themes and things to unpack from that story. Seems everyone (including the shark) is out of place. And that discord brings violence. I'm in a very small minority on this, but I never. understood what was so special about the movie. A shark is an easily avoidable danger. At least in the book, there are compelling reasons the shark remains a threat. It actually highlights how bad countless decisions and human drama feed that shark.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up On the Hierophant Road by James Chambers.  An OK read.
    Started Jaws by Peter Benchley.  It’s probably been 45 years since I first read Jaws.  
    At the time I didn’t care for the book.  Loved the he movie, and was probably too young to appreciate the novel.  
    Right now I’m 130 pages in and it is the most compelling & readable thing I’ve read in months.
    Easy to see why Jaws was a best seller nearly 50 years ago.
    Maybe this is the book that breaks me out of my months long reading slump.
    B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising", a first time read. Had always avoided this novel as I had heard nothing but bad things. Am glad I finally got around to it as it is much better than the reviews would lead you to believe. I think most people were just hung up on the plot and wanting a continuation of the Lecter/Starling story. Instead, the author chose to look back at Lecter's youth and at how his monster was made. I didn't mind that at all. The book does have its flaws as you can tell the author didn't quite give it his all as he did in the previous books, but it's pretty understandable once you learn some of the background as to how and why the book was written in the first place. Most of the issues are small for the most part and easily overlooked. You can also tell that the author had a lot of fun bringing elements from some of his favorite books into this one. Overall, I would give this book a solid C average (and may have rated it higher if it wasn't part of a superior series).

Reading the Suntup AGE of Patrick McCabe's "The Butcher Boy" next, another first time read. No idea what to expect. Am trying to get through my pending stack of Suntup AGEs.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Travel By Bullet fell flat for me. In part I think I was just done with the premise, really liked book one, thought book two was ok but I did not need more. I will say I am really excited about Starter Villian!
    I agree — very much a trilogy (thus far) of diminishing returns.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I skipped the two last Suntup Hannibal volumes for precisely those reviews and the consistent issues that they cited...after reading those and -- if true in their context -- agreeing with their take, I've skipped the two latter books ever since, and the Suntup offerings, while enticing (especially since I had the first two), didn't change my mind. I have some regrets, more so now after reading your trusted take, but too late now.

Currently reading Scalzi's new and third DISPATCHER novella, TRAVEL BY BULLET. It's okay, though much more mystery-procedural than the first two (and not the better for it). TRAVEL BY BULLET reminds me a bit of the LOCK IN and HEAD ON duo, which I didn't care for...he takes an interesting plot device / concept and wraps it in a prosaic whodunnit guise. It's still generally entertaining and I'll finish it, but I could've passed on it and been perfectly satisfied with just reading the earlier two DISPATCHER novellas.
    Travel By Bullet fell flat for me. In part I think I was just done with the premise, really liked book one, thought book two was ok but I did not need more. I will say I am really excited about Starter Villian!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal", a first time read for me. I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this one. It was much better than I was expecting. Had seen a lot a reviews trashing the book, especially the ending, but I had no problem with it. I personally think that those people were just hoping for the more traditional ending with the big showdown. I like that you can debate Clarice's fate either way, is she truly happy or just heavily conditioned. Overall, I would give this a solid B+. It doesn't reach the levels of the two previous Lecter books, few do; however, it's still a very good read.

Am reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising" next, another first time read. I have heard nothing but horrendous things about this book; so, my expectations are extremely low; however, the completist in me wants to see Lecter's tale through until the end and to judge the book for myself. Luckily, it looks to be about half the size of Hannibal.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Hannibal. Hannibal Rising was just ok for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X