X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post
    Finished up On the Hierophant Road by James Chambers. Â An OK read.
    Started Jaws by Peter Benchley. Â It’s probably been 45 years since I first read Jaws. Â
    At the time I didn’t care for the book. Â Loved the he movie, and was probably too young to appreciate the novel. Â
    Right now I’m 130 pages in and it is the most compelling & readable thing I’ve read in months.
    Easy to see why Jaws was a best seller nearly 50 years ago.
    Maybe this is the book that breaks me out of my months long reading slump.
    B
    I loved Jaws. Lots of themes and things to unpack from that story. Seems everyone (including the shark) is out of place. And that discord brings violence. I'm in a very small minority on this, but I never. understood what was so special about the movie. A shark is an easily avoidable danger. At least in the book, there are compelling reasons the shark remains a threat. It actually highlights how bad countless decisions and human drama feed that shark.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished up On the Hierophant Road by James Chambers.  An OK read.
    Started Jaws by Peter Benchley.  It’s probably been 45 years since I first read Jaws.  
    At the time I didn’t care for the book.  Loved the he movie, and was probably too young to appreciate the novel.  
    Right now I’m 130 pages in and it is the most compelling & readable thing I’ve read in months.
    Easy to see why Jaws was a best seller nearly 50 years ago.
    Maybe this is the book that breaks me out of my months long reading slump.
    B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising", a first time read. Had always avoided this novel as I had heard nothing but bad things. Am glad I finally got around to it as it is much better than the reviews would lead you to believe. I think most people were just hung up on the plot and wanting a continuation of the Lecter/Starling story. Instead, the author chose to look back at Lecter's youth and at how his monster was made. I didn't mind that at all. The book does have its flaws as you can tell the author didn't quite give it his all as he did in the previous books, but it's pretty understandable once you learn some of the background as to how and why the book was written in the first place. Most of the issues are small for the most part and easily overlooked. You can also tell that the author had a lot of fun bringing elements from some of his favorite books into this one. Overall, I would give this book a solid C average (and may have rated it higher if it wasn't part of a superior series).

Reading the Suntup AGE of Patrick McCabe's "The Butcher Boy" next, another first time read. No idea what to expect. Am trying to get through my pending stack of Suntup AGEs.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Travel By Bullet fell flat for me. In part I think I was just done with the premise, really liked book one, thought book two was ok but I did not need more. I will say I am really excited about Starter Villian!
    I agree — very much a trilogy (thus far) of diminishing returns.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I skipped the two last Suntup Hannibal volumes for precisely those reviews and the consistent issues that they cited...after reading those and -- if true in their context -- agreeing with their take, I've skipped the two latter books ever since, and the Suntup offerings, while enticing (especially since I had the first two), didn't change my mind. I have some regrets, more so now after reading your trusted take, but too late now.

Currently reading Scalzi's new and third DISPATCHER novella, TRAVEL BY BULLET. It's okay, though much more mystery-procedural than the first two (and not the better for it). TRAVEL BY BULLET reminds me a bit of the LOCK IN and HEAD ON duo, which I didn't care for...he takes an interesting plot device / concept and wraps it in a prosaic whodunnit guise. It's still generally entertaining and I'll finish it, but I could've passed on it and been perfectly satisfied with just reading the earlier two DISPATCHER novellas.
    Travel By Bullet fell flat for me. In part I think I was just done with the premise, really liked book one, thought book two was ok but I did not need more. I will say I am really excited about Starter Villian!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal", a first time read for me. I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this one. It was much better than I was expecting. Had seen a lot a reviews trashing the book, especially the ending, but I had no problem with it. I personally think that those people were just hoping for the more traditional ending with the big showdown. I like that you can debate Clarice's fate either way, is she truly happy or just heavily conditioned. Overall, I would give this a solid B+. It doesn't reach the levels of the two previous Lecter books, few do; however, it's still a very good read.

Am reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising" next, another first time read. I have heard nothing but horrendous things about this book; so, my expectations are extremely low; however, the completist in me wants to see Lecter's tale through until the end and to judge the book for myself. Luckily, it looks to be about half the size of Hannibal.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Hannibal. Hannibal Rising was just ok for me.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just finished reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal", a first time read for me. I'm glad that I finally got around to reading this one. It was much better than I was expecting. Had seen a lot a reviews trashing the book, especially the ending, but I had no problem with it. I personally think that those people were just hoping for the more traditional ending with the big showdown. I like that you can debate Clarice's fate either way, is she truly happy or just heavily conditioned. Overall, I would give this a solid B+. It doesn't reach the levels of the two previous Lecter books, few do; however, it's still a very good read.

Am reading the Suntup AGE of Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Rising" next, another first time read. I have heard nothing but horrendous things about this book; so, my expectations are extremely low; however, the completist in me wants to see Lecter's tale through until the end and to judge the book for myself. Luckily, it looks to be about half the size of Hannibal.
    I skipped the two last Suntup Hannibal volumes for precisely those reviews and the consistent issues that they cited...after reading those and -- if true in their context -- agreeing with their take, I've skipped the two latter books ever since, and the Suntup offerings, while enticing (especially since I had the first two), didn't change my mind. I have some regrets, more so now after reading your trusted take, but too late now.

Currently reading Scalzi's new and third DISPATCHER novella, TRAVEL BY BULLET. It's okay, though much more mystery-procedural than the first two (and not the better for it). TRAVEL BY BULLET reminds me a bit of the LOCK IN and HEAD ON duo, which I didn't care for...he takes an interesting plot device / concept and wraps it in a prosaic whodunnit guise. It's still generally entertaining and I'll finish it, but I could've passed on it and been perfectly satisfied with just reading the earlier two DISPATCHER novellas.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 07-05-2023, 10:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by brlesh View Post

Those Across the River was definitely a slow burn of a book, but still one that I quite enjoyed.

While slow moving, it definitely built a sense of unease and had a genuine creepy feel to it.

Kind of surprised that TATR doesn’t get mentioned more in discussions of werewolf novels.

My biggest complaint with the story was with the ending.

Buehlman puts three times the action in the last 80 pages compared to the first 250 pages.

It just made the ending feel rushed, almost to the extent that I was reading a different story (or one written by a different author).

The ending turned what would have been a great read for me into a just a good read.

B
    I would agree with that. I ended up enjoying it a bit more than I predicted I would at the halfway mark, though just marginally for the reasons you mention. It was an interesting story that needed a general restructure of its narrative pacing to make it more consistent rather than the structured segmentation it had.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I thought they both had the same kind of feel though. I know you're not a big fantasy fan Ron, But I thought Buehlman's Black Tongued Thief as great. He is writing a sequel/pre-sequel.
    My favorite Buehlman to this point is Between Two Fires, which had the feel of McCammon’s Swan Song set in the dark ages.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
    Finally getting around to reading Christopher Buehlman's THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER via a used tpb I found a while back, see if that rather enticing S/L HC from Midworld Press is something I need or not.

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: It's a good read -- though takes a slow-burn, character-building approach so that things only start happening around halfway through, which kind of tried my patience -- but is not one that I need a $100 limited of. Reminds me somewhat of his other one I read, THE SUICIDE MOTOR CLUB. That one actually started off great, with a vivid, exciting scene...and then, like this one, slowed down and built character to the point where it felt the story took a bit of a backseat to the construct of those populating it -- though THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER takes it to an even greater degree. Buehlman is clearly a talented writer with much to offer, but his style appears to generally not be to my current taste, based on my two reads. I enjoy a slow-burn as much as the next reader who came of novel-reading age in the '80s, but a balance between character and plot, of narrative forward-motion, is key for me these days, and THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER definitely tilted the scales.
    Those Across the River was definitely a slow burn of a book, but still one that I quite enjoyed.

While slow moving, it definitely built a sense of unease and had a genuine creepy feel to it.

Kind of surprised that TATR doesn’t get mentioned more in discussions of werewolf novels.

My biggest complaint with the story was with the ending.

Buehlman puts three times the action in the last 80 pages compared to the first 250 pages.

It just made the ending feel rushed, almost to the extent that I was reading a different story (or one written by a different author).

The ending turned what would have been a great read for me into a just a good read.

B

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    About halfway through my first re-read of Hugh Howey's Shift. Shift is the first sequel to Wool.

I read this (and the third book, Dust) years ago, and I have such a vague recollection of what happened.

Decided on this re-read because we've been watching AppleTV's adaptation of Wool (they call it Silo) and we've been enjoying it immensely. I think I posted some of my observations on another thread so I won't repeat myself.

Right before Shift, I read the first collection of Bendis's Daredevil and damn that was good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I thought they both had the same kind of feel though. I know you're not a big fantasy fan Ron, But I thought Buehlman's Black Tongued Thief as great. He is writing a sequel/pre-sequel.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Suicide Motor Club and Rovers, I enjoyed both of them!
    ROVERS was actually by Richard Lange, not Buehlman, and I agree, that one I enjoyed. Not overly original (ala Steinbeck's OF MICE AND MEN, King's BLAZE, etc.), but very well done.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Suicide Motor Club and Rovers, I enjoyed both of them!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X