X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I adore LOR, but there has always been something about Dune that has caused me to avoid it. I've always wondered how much I am missing out as it's obviously a very famous title. Your review makes me feel a bit better for not reading it yet. Perhaps on day...
    I remember I tried Dune because a couple of my friends loved it and really thought I would. I did not share their love of the book. I believe I read the first Lord of the Rings shortly after, abased on the recommendations of the same people. I believe I finished it but it was a slog. The result is I determined the Science Fiction was not for me and avoided it for several years after. Although I have never fully embraced Science Fiction I have learned that it can be very good.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Tried to read many years ago. That and Lord of the Rings made me avoid Science Fiction for a long time. Maybe made it 200 pages into Dune before I determined my time was worth more than the story. I rarely DNF a book but I had to walk away from that one.Â
    I adore LOR, but there has always been something about Dune that has caused me to avoid it. I've always wondered how much I am missing out as it's obviously a very famous title. Your review makes me feel a bit better for not reading it yet. Perhaps on day...

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

So DUNE isn't your cup of tea?
    Tried to read many years ago. That and Lord of the Rings made me avoid Science Fiction for a long time. Maybe made it 200 pages into Dune before I determined my time was worth more than the story. I rarely DNF a book but I had to walk away from that one. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I'm SLOGGING through Dune now. Then I have Spinal Remains by Chad Lutzke, Grim Portraits by Kealan Patrick Burke, and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. THEN I think The Cipher will be on top.
    So DUNE isn't your cup of tea?

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

Don't know what your TBR stack is like, but you should definitely move this one to the top! I'm still kicking myself for having waited so long to read my copy. Hope you like it as much as I did whenever you get around to it!
    I'm SLOGGING through Dune now. Then I have Spinal Remains by Chad Lutzke, Grim Portraits by Kealan Patrick Burke, and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. THEN I think The Cipher will be on top.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

AHHH I have this book and your review really makes me want to put it at the top of my TBR. I don't understand when people complain about unlikable characters. Sometimes, that's the point.
    Don't know what your TBR stack is like, but you should definitely move this one to the top!  I'm still kicking myself for having waited so long to read my copy.  Hope you like it as much as I did whenever you get around to it!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Kathe Koja's "The Cipher", a first time read and author for me. Had no idea what to expect with this book other than the basic premise and that it has a somewhat famous reputation. After completing the book, I'm happy to write that IMO, the reputation is well deserved. This book completely exceeded my expectations in every way. To start with, the prose was amazing. Usually, I can fly through books pretty quickly, but the prose here forces you to slow down and really invest in the author's words and meanings. I also adored the characterization in this one. These people felt so real and so messed-up. I swear that I've known people like this. I've seen reviews where people complain the book doesn't have characters you can root for, but I feel like that misses the point. It's kind of a goofy comparison, but the main characters relationship reminded me a lot of the relationship between the Narrator and Marla's characters in Palahniuk's Fight Club. I also loved the ending of the book. It completely worked for me. Who knew that a story this messed up would have an ending with so much heart. Overall, I'm so glad that I took a chance on this book, especially the gorgeous Centipede LE, and am finally glad to have read something by this author. I would give this one an A grade for sure!

I will be reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman" next. Haven't read this edition of the book yet, and wanted to give the story a reread before the sequel is released this week.
    AHHH I have this book and your review really makes me want to put it at the top of my TBR. I don't understand when people complain about unlikable characters. Sometimes, that's the point.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Kathe Koja's "The Cipher", a first time read and author for me. Had no idea what to expect with this book other than the basic premise and that it has a somewhat famous reputation. After completing the book, I'm happy to write that IMO, the reputation is well deserved. This book completely exceeded my expectations in every way. To start with, the prose was amazing. Usually, I can fly through books pretty quickly, but the prose here forces you to slow down and really invest in the author's words and meanings. I also adored the characterization in this one. These people felt so real and so messed-up. I swear that I've known people like this. I've seen reviews where people complain the book doesn't have characters you can root for, but I feel like that misses the point. It's kind of a goofy comparison, but the main characters relationship reminded me a lot of the relationship between the Narrator and Marla's characters in Palahniuk's Fight Club. I also loved the ending of the book. It completely worked for me. Who knew that a story this messed up would have an ending with so much heart. Overall, I'm so glad that I took a chance on this book, especially the gorgeous Centipede LE, and am finally glad to have read something by this author. I would give this one an A grade for sure!

I will be reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman" next. Haven't read this edition of the book yet, and wanted to give the story a reread before the sequel is released this week.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Started October’s End, a three novella collection of Halloween horror stories by Kevin Lucia, Jason Parent, & Jeremy Bates.

Almost finished with the first story, ‘Daughters of the Mist’ by Kevin Lucia, and really liking it so far.

It has a great small town horror story feel to it, and Lucia’s love for the classic black & white horror movies shines through.

B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied

If you enjoyed The Girl with All the Gifts, you should definitely check out the (pre)sequel The Boy on the Bridge as it's a pretty good read as well.
    Finished up The Boy on the Bridge the other night and really enjoyed it, perhaps even more than The Girl With All the Gifts.

Really enjoyed the overall story arc between the two books, especially the way the end of TBOTB was tied into TGWATG.

B

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Lividian LE of Robert McCammon's "Gone South". It's been years since I first read Gone South and I enjoyed it just as much this time around. This book has such strong characters. I especially loved Pelvis Eisley. How McCammon was able to make him both absurd and real was amazing. Side note- I just finished watching the Walking Dead recently and couldn't help but fancast Josh McDermott as the Pelvis character in my head during the read. I'm a huge McCammon fan and have read all of his stuff. This book has always felt like an outlier to me. There's just something different feeling about it compared to his other work. After reading his introduction to this edition and hearing about what he was going through professionally at the time, to me, it's easy to see that the book's about despair and acceptance. So happy that Lividian finally gave this book the limited-edition treatment that it deserves. Now we just need them or someone else to do LE's for Mine & Mystery Walk! Overall, I would give this book a B rating.

I will be reading Kathe Koja's "The Cipher" next, a first time read and author for me. Hopefully, it will live up to its rep!

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Thoroughly enjoyed Holly, my largest concern going in with King is usually will he manage to stick the ending. Happy to say this novel starts fast and ends with a solid finish. I would recommend anyone considering reading it to take the comments of sholloman81 above into consideration as many will not like this for the reasons he states above. I give it 4 stars!

Now almost 100 pages into Starter Villian by John Scalzi and it is exactly what I expect from Scalzi!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied

If you enjoyed The Girl with All the Gifts, you should definitely check out the (pre)sequel The Boy on the Bridge as it's a pretty good read as well.
    Started The Boy on the Bridge today!

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Just finished reading Stephen King's "Holly". No spoilers! I really enjoyed this one, but I'm also one of those King fans who has never had an issue with the Holly character & books, especially after seeing Justine Lupe's portrayal in the Mr. Mercedes series which helped cement Holly as a top-notch character for me. In terms of the book itself, I found the story very interesting and filled with the usual fleshed out characters that King excels at writing. It was especially nice seeing the multiple elderly characters and the way King wrote them. As a lot of the reviews point out, this book does take place within the last couple of years and has lots of nods to Covid and currents events/politics. A lot of reviewers seem to have issue with that, but it didn't bother me at all. In fact, to me, it actually fit the Holly character and her quirks quite well. Overall, I would give this book a solid B to B- rating. it's always bittersweet finishing a King book as I look forward to them so much.

I will finally be getting around to reading my Lividian LE of Robert McCammon's "Gone South" next. Looking forward to this one as McCammon is one of my favorite authors!
    I am on track to finish Holly tonight and greatly agree with your review. Tommorrow I hope to begin Starter Villian.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading Stephen King's "Holly". No spoilers! I really enjoyed this one, but I'm also one of those King fans who has never had an issue with the Holly character & books, especially after seeing Justine Lupe's portrayal in the Mr. Mercedes series which helped cement Holly as a top-notch character for me. In terms of the book itself, I found the story very interesting and filled with the usual fleshed out characters that King excels at writing. It was especially nice seeing the multiple elderly characters and the way King wrote them. As a lot of the reviews point out, this book does take place within the last couple of years and has lots of nods to Covid and currents events/politics. A lot of reviewers seem to have issue with that, but it didn't bother me at all. In fact, to me, it actually fit the Holly character and her quirks quite well. Overall, I would give this book a solid B to B- rating. it's always bittersweet finishing a King book as I look forward to them so much.

I will finally be getting around to reading my Lividian LE of Robert McCammon's "Gone South" next. Looking forward to this one as McCammon is one of my favorite authors!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X