X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Hermit View Post
    My current read is Spiral by Koji Sazuki. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the third book (Loop) as ive seen reviews its fairly weak compared to the first two books.
    What are your thoughts on the series? I've gone back and forth on picking them up.

Leave a comment:

• Hermit
    replied
    My current read is Spiral by Koji Sazuki. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the third book (Loop) as ive seen reviews its fairly weak compared to the first two books.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman". I really enjoyed the trade hardcover when it was first released and decided to finally read the SST LE that I picked-up. I especially wanted to do that before reading the sequel, "Becoming the Boogeyman" which was just released a few days ago. I enjoyed Chasing the Boogeyman just as much this time around, which was a bit surprising to me considering that I already knew the mystery aspect of it. The characters still feel real, and I really enjoy the small-town feel/community that he gives to Edgewood. Also love the cover art for the SST version of this book. I've always loved the "Baghead" look from Friday the 13th 2 and was very happy to see it appear in this book, (and yes, I know Baghead didn't start with Friday, but that is THE version for me). Overall, I still really enjoyed Chasing the Boogeyman and would still place it in the B grade range.

Am now reading the sequel, Richar Chizmar's "Becoming the Boogeyman". Am only a few chapters into it, but have high hopes!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Started Halloween Beyond, a three story novella collection by Lisa Morton, Lucy Snyder, & Kate Maruyama.
    All the stories are based around a Halloween pop up store / chain called Halloween Beyond.
    Half way through the Morton story and enjoying it so far.
    B

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Horror at Pleasant Brook by Kevin Lucia last night.

Liked this one a lot.

It was a very fun read, though a little preachy at times.

If you’re in the mood for a fast paced, small town horror story with the feel of an 80’s horror movie, THAPB should be right up your alley.

And damn, that ending!

B

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

So DUNE isn't your cup of tea?
    So far, it's not a book I run back to. I'm getting more into it, an interesting moment transpired and I am really liking the tidbits that begin each chapter. A lot of profundities there. But so far, I'm not really attached to any character so I don't care. It's like i'm watching a news report.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I adore LOR, but there has always been something about Dune that has caused me to avoid it. I've always wondered how much I am missing out as it's obviously a very famous title. Your review makes me feel a bit better for not reading it yet. Perhaps on day...
    I remember I tried Dune because a couple of my friends loved it and really thought I would. I did not share their love of the book. I believe I read the first Lord of the Rings shortly after, abased on the recommendations of the same people. I believe I finished it but it was a slog. The result is I determined the Science Fiction was not for me and avoided it for several years after. Although I have never fully embraced Science Fiction I have learned that it can be very good.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Tried to read many years ago. That and Lord of the Rings made me avoid Science Fiction for a long time. Maybe made it 200 pages into Dune before I determined my time was worth more than the story. I rarely DNF a book but I had to walk away from that one.Â
    I adore LOR, but there has always been something about Dune that has caused me to avoid it. I've always wondered how much I am missing out as it's obviously a very famous title. Your review makes me feel a bit better for not reading it yet. Perhaps on day...

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Tried to read many years ago. That and Lord of the Rings made me avoid Science Fiction for a long time. Maybe made it 200 pages into Dune before I determined my time was worth more than the story. I rarely DNF a book but I had to walk away from that one. 

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I'm SLOGGING through Dune now. Then I have Spinal Remains by Chad Lutzke, Grim Portraits by Kealan Patrick Burke, and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. THEN I think The Cipher will be on top.

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied

Don't know what your TBR stack is like, but you should definitely move this one to the top! I'm still kicking myself for having waited so long to read my copy. Hope you like it as much as I did whenever you get around to it!
    I'm SLOGGING through Dune now. Then I have Spinal Remains by Chad Lutzke, Grim Portraits by Kealan Patrick Burke, and The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. THEN I think The Cipher will be on top.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

AHHH I have this book and your review really makes me want to put it at the top of my TBR. I don't understand when people complain about unlikable characters. Sometimes, that's the point.
    Don't know what your TBR stack is like, but you should definitely move this one to the top!  I'm still kicking myself for having waited so long to read my copy.  Hope you like it as much as I did whenever you get around to it!

Leave a comment:

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Kathe Koja's "The Cipher", a first time read and author for me. Had no idea what to expect with this book other than the basic premise and that it has a somewhat famous reputation. After completing the book, I'm happy to write that IMO, the reputation is well deserved. This book completely exceeded my expectations in every way. To start with, the prose was amazing. Usually, I can fly through books pretty quickly, but the prose here forces you to slow down and really invest in the author's words and meanings. I also adored the characterization in this one. These people felt so real and so messed-up. I swear that I've known people like this. I've seen reviews where people complain the book doesn't have characters you can root for, but I feel like that misses the point. It's kind of a goofy comparison, but the main characters relationship reminded me a lot of the relationship between the Narrator and Marla's characters in Palahniuk's Fight Club. I also loved the ending of the book. It completely worked for me. Who knew that a story this messed up would have an ending with so much heart. Overall, I'm so glad that I took a chance on this book, especially the gorgeous Centipede LE, and am finally glad to have read something by this author. I would give this one an A grade for sure!

I will be reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman" next. Haven't read this edition of the book yet, and wanted to give the story a reread before the sequel is released this week.
    AHHH I have this book and your review really makes me want to put it at the top of my TBR. I don't understand when people complain about unlikable characters. Sometimes, that's the point.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished reading the Centipede LE of Kathe Koja's "The Cipher", a first time read and author for me. Had no idea what to expect with this book other than the basic premise and that it has a somewhat famous reputation. After completing the book, I'm happy to write that IMO, the reputation is well deserved. This book completely exceeded my expectations in every way. To start with, the prose was amazing. Usually, I can fly through books pretty quickly, but the prose here forces you to slow down and really invest in the author's words and meanings. I also adored the characterization in this one. These people felt so real and so messed-up. I swear that I've known people like this. I've seen reviews where people complain the book doesn't have characters you can root for, but I feel like that misses the point. It's kind of a goofy comparison, but the main characters relationship reminded me a lot of the relationship between the Narrator and Marla's characters in Palahniuk's Fight Club. I also loved the ending of the book. It completely worked for me. Who knew that a story this messed up would have an ending with so much heart. Overall, I'm so glad that I took a chance on this book, especially the gorgeous Centipede LE, and am finally glad to have read something by this author. I would give this one an A grade for sure!

I will be reading the SST LE of Richard Chizmar's "Chasing the Boogeyman" next. Haven't read this edition of the book yet, and wanted to give the story a reread before the sequel is released this week.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Started October’s End, a three novella collection of Halloween horror stories by Kevin Lucia, Jason Parent, & Jeremy Bates.

Almost finished with the first story, ‘Daughters of the Mist’ by Kevin Lucia, and really liking it so far.

It has a great small town horror story feel to it, and Lucia’s love for the classic black & white horror movies shines through.

B

Leave a comment:

Working...
X