Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Wide Carnivorous Sky by John Langan. I found it to be a mixed bag. It definitely had its high points and its low(er) points.

Half way through Later by Stephen King. So far, so good.

B

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I haven't ready P Deji Clark yet - I do have a novella from him that I must have gotten from Tor as a freebie - The Haunting of Trans Car 015.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished P. Deji Clark's new novel "A Master of Djinn". Not my typical sort of read, but, I really loved his previous novella "Ring Shout" and thought that I would give his first novel a shot. Am glad I did as I really liked it. The book was a good mix of alt history, steampunk, fantasy, middle eastern folklore, & middle eastern culture. Really enjoyed the main characters a lot in this one. Clark has a way of writing strong, interesting, & well developed female characters. He also finds a way to speak on things like racism, sexism, & class without it ever seeming preachy. Really hope that he considers making this book into a series as I would love to revisit these characters and setting. Overall, a recommended read!

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Am really hoping SubPress does a limited for the prequel. I had never heard of Sea of Rust until I picked it up via one of the SubPress sales. Am very glad that I did as I really enjoyed that book. Didn't know that there was a prequel until recently. Think I will hold off on a trade copy and keep my fingers crossed for a limited edition being announced.
    Sub Press is indeed doing the limited of the prequel, which is nice since they did SEA OF RUST (which I agree with you, was a great read...in fact, I enjoyed it more than the other recent Artificial Intelligence (AI) novel I read, MURDERBOT DIARIES) and should make for a nice two-volume set. Here's the tweet where Cargill indicates the publisher is Sub Press and posts the great wrap-around cover art:

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status...007981057?s=20

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Really looking forward to the prequel, DAY ZERO, that's due out in two days (in trade, anyhow...while Cargill let it slip via a cover reveal on Twitter, the S/L hasn't yet been announced).
    Am really hoping SubPress does a limited for the prequel. I had never heard of Sea of Rust until I picked it up via one of the SubPress sales. Am very glad that I did as I really enjoyed that book. Didn't know that there was a prequel until recently. Think I will hold off on a trade copy and keep my fingers crossed for a limited edition being announced.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

I still need to read Sea of Rust. It's on the shelf at least.
    Really looking forward to the prequel, DAY ZERO, that's due out in two days (in trade, anyhow...while Cargill let it slip via a cover reveal on Twitter, the S/L hasn't yet been announced).

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Just finished Martha Wells' "The Murderbot Diaries". I know that some people on the forum didn't dig this book; however, I really enjoyed it. Loved the characterization for Murderbot. Also loved the way that Murderbot interacts with humans and other bots. May shelve this one next to " Sea of Rust" as Murderbot and Brittle are probably two of my favorite (recent) robots/AI stories.
    I know I said it elsewhere, but I loved the novellas - didn't care for the novel as much. I think I'm only good with Murderbot in ~100 page chunks.

I still need to read Sea of Rust. It's on the shelf at least.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just finished the new Murderbot novella, "Fugitive Telemetry." More of a murder mystery than the previous novellas. If you liked the previous novellas, then you will definitely like this one too. Am thinking of reading P. Deji Clark's new novel "A Master of Djin" next. I really loved his previous book/novella "Ring Shout" and have been hoping to read more by him. Really hoping that this book is a strong as "Ring Shout" was. It is his first full-length novel; so, my fingers are crossed.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Neal Asher Lockdown Tales! A collection of Novella's conceived, written or Completed during COVID. I've been a huge Asher fan for years, it's always clear that the trails and tribulations of his life inform his writing. The polity universe is a beautiful, joyful, dreadful place. Beware Penny Royal!!

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished The Darkest Lullaby by Jonathan Janz.

Liked it, although I did find several things in the story to be very similar to some other novels by Janz, namely The Siren & the Specter and House of Skin.

Lullaby was written in Janz's usual fast paced style and with his appreciation of the horror genre that preceded him.

Currently about half way through The Wide Carnivorous Sky & Other Monstrous Geographies by John Langan and really liking this one so far.

The stories tend to be on the longish side, as Langan takes his time to tell a tale, allowing the reader to really sink their teeth into the stories.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Just finished Martha Wells' "The Murderbot Diaries". I know that some people on the forum didn't dig this book; however, I really enjoyed it. Loved the characterization for Murderbot. Also loved the way that Murderbot interacts with humans and other bots. May shelve this one next to " Sea of Rust" as Murderbot and Brittle are probably two of my favorite (recent) robots/AI stories.
    I am one who did not care for the first two books. In all fairness to the stories though I am not a big Sci Fi person.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Finally getting around to King’s LATER. Am about 2/3 of the way through.

Leave a comment:

• brlesh
    replied
    Finished Chiral Mad 4 yesterday, an anthology of stories that were all collaborations (either co-authors or author / artist).

I found the stories tended to be interesting & engaging, but with lack luster conclusions.

Started The Darkest Lullabye by Jonathan Janz last night.

As with just about everything else I've read by Janz, the story flows and is very readable, but at nearly 1/3 of the way through, The Darkest Lullabye is VERY similar to the last Janz book I read (and the novel he published before this one), House of Skin.

B

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Not quite a quarter of the way into "Project Hail Mary" and loving it so far! Also reading "On Juneteenth" and it is interesting so far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X