X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, love me some Garth.

Comment

Originally posted by Xiabei View Post
      There was a great cd from '91 called "I'm Your Fan - The Songs of Leonard Cohen" done by bands and singers that, at the time, were considered "alternative" - R.E.M., Pixies, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Lloyd Cole, Ian McCulloch, et al. Definitely worth looking into. I'm happy I still have my copy.
      I've got that one too. "Tower of Song" had the likes of Elton John, Billy Joel, Don Henley, Peter Gabriel...
      "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

"We cower in our shelters
        With our hands over our ears
        Lloyd-Webber's awful stuff
        runs for years and years and years and years
        An earthquake hits the theater
        But the operetta lingers
        Then the piano lid comes down
        And breaks his fucking fingers
        It's a miracle" - Roger Waters, "It's a Miracle"
        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

The band is just fantastic
          that is really what I think,
          Oh by the way... which one's 'Pink'?

Comment

Pink was the one played by Bob Geldof in the movie. I love how they hearkened back to that specific line, and also the scene where (as a schoolboy) he was writing "Money".

Comment

Waters and Gilmour fought over who was "pink" for a long time, didn't they?
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

"Walking down the gutter wondering how the hell am I today,
                Well I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way."

Jethro Tull from, 'Baker Street Muse', Album, Minstrel in the Gallery

Comment

"And its too late to lose the weight
                  You used to need to throw around." - Pink Floyd, "Dogs"

Comment

There's a whole lotta places that I aint been
                    A whole lotta things that I aint seen
                    A whole lotta things I'll never be
                    The generation that would change the world is still looking for it's car keys...

---The Rainmakers, "Drinkin' on the Job"

voted best rock lyric of the 80s constitently in polls for 30 years! (Rolling Stone, Spin, etc...)
                    Last edited by srboone; 03-30-2012, 02:24 PM.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

"Yeah, Ali McGraw got mad with you
                      For giving head to Steve McQueen
                      You and me we make a pretty pair
                      Falling through the silver screen

Honey I'm open to anything
                      I don't know where to draw the line
                      Yes, I'm makin' bets that you gonna get
                      John Wayne before he dies" - The Rolling Stones, "Star Star"

I've called this song the filthiest Chuck Berry song, that Chuck Berry didn't write.

Comment

You and I do NOT have the same definition of Filthy

Comment

You have to listen to the rest of the song, especially the chorus. And I am quite a conservative prude, too, so I find everything dirty.

Comment

"Well I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
                            When I hear that train a-rollin', I hang my head an cry." - Johnny Cash, "Folsum Prison Blues"

That first line is one of the coldest in music history. And it's amazing how the two lines completely encapsulate the character of the narrator of that song. A steely cold murderer who wants his freedom so badly that it hurts, especially knowing that freedom is never coming.

Comment

Nah, it's a generation thing Terry, filthy and dirty aren't the same (apparently) although my knowledge is restricted to Eminem and Christina Aguilera lyrics (probably not the most reliable of sources, cross-pollination wise, either of them) - perhaps Teri can eludicate???

Comment

I'm just mellowing out at work, listenin to clasic country station; A song i hadn't heard in nearly 30 years came on and got me misty-eyed.

How old do you think I am he said I said well I didn't know
                                He said I turned sixty five about eleven months ago
                                I was sittin' in Miami pourin' blended whiskey down
                                When this old grey black gentleman was cleanin' up the lounge
                                There wasn't anyone around 'cept this old man and me
                                The guy who ran the bar was watching Ironsides on TV
                                Uninvited he sat down and opened up his mind
                                On old dogs and children and watermelon wine
                                Ever had a drink of watermelon wine he asked
                                He told me all about it though I didn't answer back
                                Ain't but three things in this world that's worth a solitary dime
                                But old dogs and children and watermelon wine
                                He said women think about theyselves when menfolk ain't around
                                And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down
                                He said I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime
                                Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine
                                Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes
                                God bless little children while they're still too young to hate
                                When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line
                                'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine

[ harmonica ]

I had to catch a plane up to Atlanta that next day
                                As I left for my room I saw him pickin' up my change
                                That night I dreamed in peaceful sleep of shady summertime
                                Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine

Watermelon Wine--Tom T Hall.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X