Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is an incredible book.

Comment

The rich history behind these books is just grand Squire - you can't buy that from eBay or ABE, truly appreciate your sharing

Comment

Great stuff. It's always cool to have a piece of family history like that.

Comment

Awesome, books like that are a treasure in any collection!

Comment

I must say, Squire, I love your grandma. My dad has an atlas from (I think) 1942 and it's amazing to see how different everything was. Not only do the boundaries show conquests of Germany & Japan during the war, but much of Africa is still European colonies.
            "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I have a 12-book Illustrated Atlas of the World set from 1965 that I've contempplated throwing away several times, but it's a set I've grown up with and just can't seem to do it.
              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I know what that's like. We had a lot of Time/Life series of books when I was growing up and I still remember them very fondly, but I'm sure most of information is so outdated. If I remember right, the 10-12 volume History of America ended with one of the Apollo rockets on the cover, and that was probably one of the final articles.
                "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

I had that set! I recently gave it to my brother (a history buff) for his kids. My favorite was volume 8 with had a civil war painting on the front.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by TerryE View Post
                    I must say, Squire, I love your grandma.
                    Thanks, Terry. But she left me just as much stuff that I don't care about. Fortunately, most of them are paperbacks.

DSCF1155.jpg

DSCF1159.jpg

She told me some of the crap (her word) she read wasn't worth a n HC. Not that all of what she left in paperback is of no interest to me.

DSCF1161.jpg
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Volume 8 was my favorite, too. I was always a huge Civil War buff, even from preschool days. We drove from the east coast to Las Vegas over Easter vacation the year that I turned 6 and the highlight of that trip for me was visiting Abe Lincoln's house and tomb in Springfield, IL.

Comment

Dammit, Terry, you're making me think I made a mistake giving them away!
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

No regrets allowed, buddy. You gave them to a relative, so at least they're still accessible.

Comment

...yeah...
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I see E Pluribus Unicorn by Ted Sturgeon in there. That was one of my favorite books by one of my favorite authors while I was in high school.

John

Comment

I also have paperbacks by Asimov, Heinlien, Vance and a whole lot of others well on my shelves.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X