Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe315
    replied
    I'm a sucker for all those types of thrillers with some obscure historical fact as the basis. His are more realistic in that the main character isn't plowing through historical sites.

What is your background if you don't mid me asking?

Leave a comment:

• TJCams
    replied
    Joe - it's cool to find an author who has a certain background, that fits into personal interests. My wife really likes Robin Cook for example, and has an interest in certain aspects of medical, and was taking some basic courses at one time.

I unfortunately haven't really found an author with any particular background or interest similar to some of mine that writes any cool fiction that I know of.

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Sweet additions!

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    I don't think I have posted these before. These are all of my Gibbins books. All signed except Atlantis, which I am happy about anyway since there were only 1,500 hardbacks printed of which 500 went to libraries.

I'll give a quick review in case my awesome photography piques anyones interest in the books.

He is an archaeologist by trade and you can tell that in the writing, meaning that you can tell he writes a lot of journal articles and the like. The history involved and the theories posited by the characters are well researched and plausible. However, he can get very wordy, which can bog down the story. The book that suffered the most because of this was The Tiger Warrior. It just died out at the end. Why do I keep reading them you ask? I love the history behind them, and having an anthropology/archaeology background myself, I find it very interesting and feel like I learn something from every book.

Also, he uses the word "murmur" in some form so much, that at times I want to throw the book at the wall (luckily I am reading on an iPad so I can keep myself from throwing a $400 piece of electronics at the wall).
    Last edited by Joe315; 07-17-2013, 02:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Got these in the mail today. The Orpheus Decent by Tom Harper and Pharaoh by David Gibbins.

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Nice adds.

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Originally posted by TJCams View Post
    I too like that version a lot. Although I haven't had an opportunity to delve into him yet.
    Same here. I have found many examples where the UK art is better than the US art, IMO anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Picked up The Good Suicides today and got The Hooded Man the other day. It is volume 3 in the Afterblight Chronicles omnibi releases, of which Schools Out Forever is the second and posted earlier in my collection thread.

Leave a comment:

• TJCams
    replied
    Originally posted by subie09lega View Post
    I like the NOS4A2 UK cover art a lot more than the US.
    I too like that version a lot. Although I haven't had an opportunity to delve into him yet.

Leave a comment:

• subie09lega
    replied
    I like the NOS4A2 UK cover art a lot more than the US.

Leave a comment:

• rusty23
    replied
    Nice looking book!

Leave a comment:

• srboone
    replied
    Excellent, Joe!

Leave a comment:

• Joe315
    replied
    Picked up and received today.

When checking to see if this had shipped the other day on the Goldsboro website, the status was marked as canceled. Fortunately this was an error and it arrived today.

Leave a comment:

• Theli
    replied
    Nice add!

Leave a comment:

• bookworm 1
    replied
    Great new stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X