No announcement yet.

Post Your Latest Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really sure what I bought however it intrigued me. Probably post this over on the KPB thread and ask him, assuming he still checks in, what this item was all about.

Attached Files
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

^^^^ Looks like a signed ARC to me. Medium Rare Books was around for a short while, then — as I recall — shut down, leaving behind some grumblings (about matters I no longer recall).
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

The first shipment of books from the Taschen sale arrived today. They were sold with warnings that they could have shelf wear from being displayed, etc, but these were all shrink wrapped and brand new. I would definitely buy their sale books again.

T1_s.JPGT3_s.JPGT2_s.JPG

Comment

Ordered this and it arrived today. Nice looking book and happy to have added it to my collection. Thanks for the nudge on it.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Folio’s edition of Charles Portis’ TRUE GRIT is the one I keep going back to...have come close to pulling the trigger on it at least a dozen times, and for some reason continue to hold off. Reportedly THE modern Great American Novel, I’ve never read it, though have seen the movie. But the book with its unreliable narrator is supposed to be far richer, nuanced, and more complex than the film, obviously, and deals with themes of coming-of-age, revenge, growing old and obsolescence, etc.…really need to get my hands on this one.

If anyone’s interested in seeing pics of this attractive volume:

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/true-grit.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            Ordered this and it arrived today. Nice looking book and happy to have added it to my collection. Thanks for the nudge on it.

I ordered it as well, sometime after my earlier post, and it arrived a week or so ago. There were some production issues with it, though, so had to request a replacement. That replacement is due to arrive tomorrow (Folio expedited the shipping). Look for the bad copy on eBay shortly.

I did feature pics of it on Twitter a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...991876103?s=21

Comment

Do you mind stating what issue's you saw? I hadn't noted anything obvious.

I ordered it as well, sometime after my earlier post, and it arrived a week or so ago. There were some production issues with it, though, so had to request a replacement. That replacement is due to arrive tomorrow (Folio expedited the shipping). Look for the bad copy on eBay shortly.

I did feature pics of it on Twitter a few days ago:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...991876103?s=21

Comment

Do you mind stating what issue's you saw? I hadn't noted anything obvious.

The bottom board stuck out farther from the page block than the front board, about twice as much, making the spine a bit off-center, and the rear endpaper was misglued to the rear board about 1.5” high.

Very disappointing for my first direct order from Folio. I have another Folio book and it’s fine, but you sure hope for better when you order direct. I will say their customer service to remedy the situation was top-notch. Hopefully the replacement will be okay.

Comment

Yikes. Those sound like very obvious errors. Glad they are correcting their error.

This was my my first direct purchase from them as well. I will probably be a repeat customer however I would like the prices to be a little lower.

The bottom board stuck out farther from the page block than the front board, about twice as much, making the spine a bit off-center, and the rear endpaper was misglued to the rear board about 1.5” high.

Very disappointing for my first direct order from Folio. I have another Folio book and it’s fine, but you sure hope for better when you order direct. I will say their customer service to remedy the situation was top-notch. Hopefully the replacement will be okay.

Comment

Yikes. Those sound like very obvious errors. Glad they are correcting their error.

This was my my first direct purchase from them as well. I will probably be a repeat customer however I would like the prices to be a little lower.

Glad your copy was a good one...(my) problems aside, it’s a beautiful volume.

Comment

My replacement arrived today -- the original one took a month to arrive, but the replacement was here in a week w/ the int'l expedited shipping they used -- and it looks perfect.

If anyone is interested in the original one, I have it listed on eBay (with defects disclosed both in text and pics). If you're from here and you buy it, let me know and I'll throw in a free tpb copy for reading, so you can keep the deluxe Folio HC pristine and free of unsightly fingerprints.

Comment

I just picked up a book that I’ve been looking for for a long time. I’m super excited to get it in hand. It should arrive this week and I’ll post pics when it does.

Comment

I have been trying to get back into eating healthy food rather than whatever I can get delivered. Cooking with fresh ingredients while cooking for one has led to throwing out a lot of fresh produce as I just can't use it fast enough. i tried buying a live live Basil plant and planting it in a pot in my kitchen. It died quicker than a bag of basil would have lasted in my fridge. So I decided to buy a self watering raised bed garden. Assembled it last week and planted two varieties of local strawberries, Dill , Parsley and two Basil plants. It also comes with a greenhouse cover which will stay in place while I still have freezing nights. The cover also protected the plants from the heavy rains and hail we had the day after I set it up. Filled it with water and did not even look at it again until today. Everything looks like it did great with the exception of the Basil, which did not fair well but is still alive. The local nursery had tomato plants in so I added a cherry tomato plant today. The lady at the nursery was sure to warn me that it needed frost protection. When I explained what I had she said it should work perfect for this plant. I have room for one more plant and it will be either Bell Pepper or Anaheim Peppers. When the frost threat passes the vinyl topper will be replaced by an insect cover. That should protect the plant from pests and rain. Looking forward to just snipping off herbs as needed.
                          Garden.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                            I have been trying to get back into eating healthy food rather than whatever I can get delivered. Cooking with fresh ingredients while cooking for one has led to throwing out a lot of fresh produce as I just can't use it fast enough. i tried buying a live live Basil plant and planting it in a pot in my kitchen. It died quicker than a bag of basil would have lasted in my fridge. So I decided to buy a self watering raised bed garden. Assembled it last week and planted two varieties of local strawberries, Dill , Parsley and two Basil plants. It also comes with a greenhouse cover which will stay in place while I still have freezing nights. The cover also protected the plants from the heavy rains and hail we had the day after I set it up. Filled it with water and did not even look at it again until today. Everything looks like it did great with the exception of the Basil, which did not fair well but is still alive. The local nursery had tomato plants in so I added a cherry tomato plant today. The lady at the nursery was sure to warn me that it needed frost protection. When I explained what I had she said it should work perfect for this plant. I have room for one more plant and it will be either Bell Pepper or Anaheim Peppers. When the frost threat passes the vinyl topper will be replaced by an insect cover. That should protect the plant from pests and rain. Looking forward to just snipping off herbs as needed.
                            Garden.jpeg
                            Very cool Martin! I'll post some photos of our cold frame later.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

Very cool Martin! I'll post some photos of our cold frame later.
                              Will do.

Comment

A few oldies but goodies I’ve picked up recently. The copies are available and fairly inexpensive, several of these were signed by multiple contributors. I became interested in picking these up after reading several of Kevin Lucia’s Cemetery Dance columns https://www.cemeterydance.com/extras/tag/kevin-lucia/

Whipers 1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X