No announcement yet.

Subterranean Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too rich for my blood right now. Lots of other books coming my way and while I would have pulled the trigger on an $80 edition, $175 is just too much right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Yep. That is what someone else said. I rarely buy things from Sub Press but I thought $175.00 for a 256 page book seemed a bit much. Again, I will state, I am having trouble coming to terms with the new price point of collectable books. If this becomes the norm my collecting days will be basically over.

Prices are getting really steep. $175 and up used to be lettered edition level. Not anymore. I love some of the editions we are getting, but I’m afraid that these prices are going to fragment the market more and more. Instead of supporting multiple publishers, buyers either have to become more and more selective of wager they buy or become more focused on buying from one or two publishers.

The prices being asked in the market don’t seem sustainable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Yep. That is what someone else said. I rarely buy things from Sub Press but I thought $175.00 for a 256 page book seemed a bit much. Again, I will state, I am having trouble coming to terms with the new price point of collectable books. If this becomes the norm my collecting days will be basically over.

Have never read anything by this author and the blurb didn't really grab me. That being said, I probably would have still given it a go to try out a new author; however, not at that $175 price-point. Much like everyone else, I'm speculating that the price must be due to the popularity of the HBO series (which I believe was canceled after a single season anyway). An easy pass for me!

Comment

What grabbed me was the artist. I love his work. But then I saw the price. LOL!

Obviously the price didn't bother a number of folks. These went pretty fast.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Have never read anything by this author and the blurb didn't really grab me. That being said, I probably would have still given it a go to try out a new author; however, not at that $175 price-point. Much like everyone else, I'm speculating that the price must be due to the popularity of the HBO series (which I believe was canceled after a single season anyway). An easy pass for me!
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Had one in my cart and I can't believe it, but, I did the right thing- for me, right now anyway, and gave it up. Hey, I must be growing up or something. It's just too rich for me right now, but- this is going to be a really nice Subpress book- and that's saying a lot. Congrats to all who picked up a copy. It's a really fun read, and these specs looks amazing to me. I'm sure I'll add a copy to my shelf one day down the road as I'd love to read it again in this nicer package.

Comment

I don't think the price has anything to do with the HBO series - this seems to be the general price of books with (substantial) illustrations from SubPress going forward. I also get the impression that, at least for now, Bill is more interested in releasing books with illustrations as they have generally held and increased in value much better than all but the most popular non-illustrated releases (think NYT bestsellers), and that's an added value to the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                I don't think the price has anything to do with the HBO series - this seems to be the general price of books with (substantial) illustrations from SubPress going forward. I also get the impression that, at least for now, Bill is more interested in releasing books with illustrations as they have generally held and increased in value much better than all but the most popular non-illustrated releases (think NYT bestsellers), and that's an added value to the customer.
                The formatting of the title could have also added to the costs and price. It's being printed in two colors and with two columns of text per page.

Comment

Just received my copies of Ambergris. This one turned out amazing. Love the cover art for each volume. My only wish is that this set would have come with a slipcase as I feel like it would have worked well due to the size of the main volume and appendix. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and cannot wait to reread all of the Ambergris stories at one time!

Comment

From today's newsletter sounds like the second printing of THE GARDENS OF THE MOON is a mess. Sub Press previously mentioned they've have additional copies to sell, but there would be damage including dustjackets not properly sized and gilding issues, but now they've found books bound upside down. Sounds like LOTS of issues with the printer. I hope that Sub Press can sort it all out.

Comment

Received my copy of Jeff Vandermeer's "Hummingbird Salamander". It turned out fantastic. Really love the use of color in this volume. Bonus section rocks as well. Can't wait to finally dig into this one!

Comment

I don't buy much from Subterranean, but I was all over today's announcement of a new Felix Castor novella by Mike Carey. I'm not a big fan of series fiction, but the Felix Castor novels hit a sweet spot for me. I'm hoping this means we'll see more in the series come our way via Sub Press.

Comment

SubPress had an Other Publisher's sale for a few items this morning. Was able to snag a new AGE of Suntup's "The Butcher's Boy" for $50. Super excited as I was hoping to one day pick this up on the aftermarket. Now I have a new copy at a fraction of the price! Wish I would have been able to snag a copy of the Outsiders too, but it looks like it sold out before I read the SubPress newsletter today. Oh well. Still super excited for Butcher's Boy!

Comment

SubPress had an Other Publisher's sale for a few items this morning. Was able to snag a new AGE of Suntup's "The Butcher's Boy" for $50. Super excited as I was hoping to one day pick this up on the aftermarket. Now I have a new copy at a fraction of the price! Wish I would have been able to snag a copy of the Outsiders too, but it looks like it sold out before I read the SubPress newsletter today. Oh well. Still super excited for Butcher's Boy!
                            I was super-tempted by those prices. If The Collector hadn't sold out before I got to the website, I would've had to buy a copy. I really want the Centipede edition, but at $50, I just wouldn't be able to pass it up. I wound up buying nothing, which made my wallet sigh a little bit in relief.

Congrats on being able to get a copy of The Butcher Boy because that is one heck of a price!

Comment

I really wanted THE COLLECTOR & THE OUTSIDERS at those great prices, too, and sprinted from my email over to the site before my first sip of coffee early this morning, but- thwarted once again by Subpress's frustrating (for us PT Zone-dwellers) email policy. Eh', no big, and it's cool that they blew those books out at those prices. Some folks got great deals, indeed.

Comment

Received my copy of Butcher's Boy from SubPress. Suntup knocked the production out of the park. Really dig the slipcase. Artwork and end-papers are very cool as well. Don't know much about the story or author; so, I'll be flying blind when I eventually pull it from the TBR stack.

Comment

Working...
                                X