Subterranean Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subterranean Press

I didn't see a dedicated thread to Subterranean Press, so I figured I'd start one. If there is one already, Dan can lump this with the other one.

Did anyone jump on either of Monday's announcements: A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie or Exhalation by Ted Chiang?

I went with a A Little Hatred as I've been meaning to check out Abercrombie's work and didn't want to miss out on another limited edition as I'll never be able to afford the going rates for The First Law books. Sub Press's description kinda sucked me in as well: "With A Little Hatred, we’re creating a new flagship limited edition series for Subterranean Press, and have kicked the production up well beyond the expected. This novel is one for the ages, and we want our efforts to reflect that."

I'm interested in the Chiang book as well, but I only have so much money to go around at this time.

I didn't expect it to happen that fast. I did not have time to buy. Exhalation is sold out.

Comment

I love Sub Press, their quality control and design sensibility is top-notch. But while the Chiang book piqued my interest a bit, I'm not familiar enough with his work nor enough of a fan of sci-fi to go in @ $150 blindly.

I do have quite a number of their books, but these two won't be among them.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I grabbed Exhalation awhile back - secret preorder because I bought his other collection a few years ago.

I’ve loved almost everything I’ve read from Chiang and while the collection was a bit pricey, I couldn’t say no.

Comment

I really hate Sub Press for managing to release so many titles that I'm interested in. My wallet hurts and will never stop hurting until they stop releasing so many damn good titles. I have no self-control...

I really want to get A Little Hatred, but it isn't at the top of my list currently. Perhaps if I owned more of their Abercrombie titles (I only own Sharp Objects), I'd jump on it. But for now, it's one of those "maybe if it's still available when I have some money to spend" titles.

Pass on Chiang. I'm sure it'll be great and I loved his previous collection (though I do not own the Sub Press edition), but not enough for my interest.

Comment

I bailed on Abercrombie after Half a King - I had to sell all the titles up to that point to raise some funds quickly - and seeing how quickly the pricing has increased makes me more comfortable in that decision. If I recall correctly, the First Law trilogy was $75 a pop, and then the Shattered Sea books were more expensive but had a smaller print run so I felt it was a wash. Even the most recent book prior to this was $80. Seeing this latest for $150 is kind of a shock to be honest.

Comment

I have them all, so I jumped on it, even though the price hike was a bit of a surprise. Maybe the art will justify the cost. I enjoyed the story.
              Last edited by mhatchett; 05-14-2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

A Little Hatred is now sold out. I guess that decides things for me, haha...

I'm surprised that it's not leatherbound for that price. But I'm sure it'll be a very nice volume for those who purchased it.

I have the signed trade edition, which is perfect for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                  A Little Hatred is now sold out. I guess that decides things for me, haha...

I'm surprised that it's not leatherbound for that price. But I'm sure it'll be a very nice volume for those who purchased it.

I have the signed trade edition, which is perfect for me.
                  The email from Sub Press this morning put it over the edge. Even Camelot sold through their copies.

Comment

Speaking of Sub Press, my Lansdales from the recent 50% Off Sale arrived today. Woohoo, some good readin’ ahead!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      The email from Sub Press this morning put it over the edge. Even Camelot sold through their copies.
                      I didn't get an email from them... :-/

What did I miss?

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                        I didn't get an email from them... :-/

What did I miss?
                        Just reminders about the Butler, Abecrombie, and Powers books. Nothing that hadn't already been announced.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                          Just reminders about the Butler, Abecrombie, and Powers books. Nothing that hadn't already been announced.
                          Oh thank god! I was nervous that they upped the ante on the title, getting it leatherbound and additionally signed by George RR Martin or something. Something to really make me regret being on the fence and missing out.

Comment

This looks like an interesting book - The Best of Michael Marshall Smith - https://subterraneanpress.com/best-o...marshall-smith

I ordered the S/L this morning. Oddly enough, I had just ordered another MMS collection, Everything You Need, from Earthling Publications last night - http://www.earthlingpub.com/ms_everything.php

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                              This looks like an interesting book - The Best of Michael Marshall Smith - https://subterraneanpress.com/best-o...marshall-smith

I ordered the S/L this morning. Oddly enough, I had just ordered another MMS collection, Everything You Need, from Earthling Publications last night - http://www.earthlingpub.com/ms_everything.php
                              I love Michael Marshall Smith and wish I could spring for the lettered but that isn’t in the cards at the moment. As of right now, even the limited is a stretch. I’ll definitely pick up a copy if I can get it through Camelot.

And since we are on the topic of MMS, here’s to hoping CD will finish out the Straw Men trilogy.

Comment

Working...
                              X