Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I can't conceive what else they could have done, short of something gimmicky and over the top. This production is stunning and pure class...it absolutely does the story justice, and then some. I almost skipped this edition since I had the signed and numbered Gauntlet HC...I'm so glad I didn't, as this is just so different than that edition, so much on another level it's really astounding. I'm glad I have the Gauntlet as well, of course, but I'm very glad I have both.

Only problem is that it's one of their over-oversized editions, so it won't fit on my Bradbury shelf (even though I have a MoTW oversized volume in that same bookcase two shelves down, w/ the same shelf height). Gonna need to rejigger things a bit to find it a proper shelf-home.
    Martin beat me to it, but here's a picture of my copy of SOMETHING WICKED:

Spoiler!

It's interesting that the layout of the signature page is different. That would indicate that a choice was made ahead of time which would get the "surprise" and which wouldn't, instead of randomly pulling books out of the stack. I wonder what the decision-making process was?

Anyways, I agree that the book is flat-out gorgeous. And I also agree on the size causing some shuffling of shelf spacing. This and the HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE ruined the spaces I had originally set up. I take that problem, though.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 12-17-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

It's interesting that the layout of the signature page is different. That would indicate that a choice was made ahead of time which would get the "surprise" and which wouldn't, instead of randomly pulling books out of the stack. I wonder what the decision-making process was?
      I agree, it had to have been planned ahead of time for there to be two different sig pages bound in. Here's the layout of the standard sig page:

wicked.jpg

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Thanks for sharing the standard signature page. I was curious what it looked like. The question I have, to which we may never know the answer, is how many copies had the surprise signature page as there’s nothing notating it on either of the signature pages.

Has anybody busted out the glasses on their copy? I haven’t had a chance yet. This addition is pretty interesting. It’s like Jerad’s way of prodding people to really engage in the book instead of it just being something pretty siting on the shelf.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the standard signature page. I was curious what it looked like. The question I have, to which we may never know the answer, is how many copies had the surprise signature page as there’s nothing notating it on either of the signature pages.
          As you say, we'll probably never know, unless Jerad comes clean and discloses it. I thought perhaps it'd just be first ten or twenty five copies, i.e. #1 - #10 or #1 - #25, but your copy is #67, so there goes that theory. I suppose it's possible he had 67+ (75? 100?) sig stickers from somewhere (and note there are differences between the stickers) -- after all, Bradbury was never shy about signing his name on anything -- but it seems kinda unlikely. Long way to say: I've no idea.

Has anybody busted out the glasses on their copy? I haven’t had a chance yet. This addition is pretty interesting. It’s like Jerad’s way of prodding people to really engage in the book instead of it just being something pretty siting on the shelf.
          I haven't, and I'm not even sure how / where to use them. There're no 3-D pages, so...? I haven't had a chance to sit down with the book yet, so perhaps it says or it's otherwise obvious, but I am curious to find out what the glasses' purpose is.

Comment

As you say, we'll probably never know, unless Jerad comes clean and discloses it. I thought perhaps it'd just be first ten or twenty five copies, i.e. #1 - #10 or #1 - #25, but your copy is #67, so there goes that theory. I suppose it's possible he had 67+ (75? 100?) sig stickers from somewhere (and note there are differences between the stickers) -- after all, Bradbury was never shy about signing his name on anything -- but it seems kinda unlikely. Long way to say: I've no idea.

I haven't, and I'm not even sure how / where to use them. There're no 3-D pages, so...? I haven't had a chance to sit down with the book yet, so perhaps it says or it's otherwise obvious, but I am curious to find out what the glasses' purpose is.
            The David Ho art is stereoscopic so when you have two similar images side by side they should form a 3-D image with the glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The David Ho art is stereoscopic so when you have two similar images side by side they should form a 3-D image with the glasses.
              Excellent -- thank you!

Should've figured it was stereoscopic, as I have two books -- A VILLAGE LOST AND FOUND and DIABLERIES -- that utilize the same process.

Comment

Excellent -- thank you!

Should've figured it was stereoscopic, as I have two books -- A VILLAGE LOST AND FOUND and DIABLERIES -- that utilize the same process.
                It is perfect for this book. When I think of stereoscopic images I think of carnival sideshows and viewmasters.

Comment

It is perfect for this book. When I think of stereoscopic images I think of carnival sideshows and viewmasters.
                  You know what? That makes absolute perfect sense. I hadn’t even thought of it like that prior to your comment. You just made this edition gel even more for me than it already had.

Comment

You know what? That makes absolute perfect sense. I hadn’t even thought of it like that prior to your comment. You just made this edition gel even more for me than it already had.
                    I think it shows great creativity and attention to detail on Jerad's part.

Comment

I think it shows great creativity and attention to detail on Jerad's part.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Something Wicked is now In Transit so I can see an expected delivery date. Looks like my copy will arrive on Saturday!

Comment

Something Wicked is now In Transit so I can see an expected delivery date. Looks like my copy will arrive on Saturday!
                          Congrats! Just wait to you get that bad boy in your hands. Pictures do not do it justice.

Comment

Congrats! Just wait to you get that bad boy in your hands. Pictures do not do it justice.
                            That is saying something because the pictures show an amazing book!

Comment

I agree — it’s as impressive in design as it is in size, and that type of aesthetic and heft is tough to capture. Heck, even the boxed slipcase is something to behold.

Comment

Well it looks like I will have to wait until next week for my copy of Something Wicked. Scheduled for delivery today and it has not yet scanned into my local post office. Hopefully Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X