Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

That’s the surprise I was talking about. It’s the corrected dust jacket for Our Lady of Pain—the dj we had just been discussing on twitter. I was surprised that Jerad issued a correction and he didn’t even tell us he had them printed. I’m torn on whether or not to wrap it around the book.
    I came back here after watching your video...I can’t believe I missed that! I had to chuckle, too, when you said Jerad didn’t need to insult his customers’ intelligence by pointing it out, as the change went completely went over my oblivious head. I thought it was just an old dj throw-away from the previous set..now I need to retrieve it from the empty box. At least I didn’t put it in the recycle bin!

You provided a very important public service today with your video, my friend!
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I came back here after watching your video...I can’t believe I missed that! I had to chuckle, too, when you said Jerad didn’t need to insult his customers’ intelligence by pointing it out, as the change went completely went over my oblivious head. I thought it was just an old dj throw-away from the previous set..now I need to retrieve it from the empty box. At least I didn’t put it in the recycle bin!

You provided a very important public service today with your video, my friend!
      SO GLAD you hadn't tossed it. I know Jerad often uses old dust jackets and other leftover production scraps in the packaging. That's what I thought it was initially. Maybe I would have tossed it if I hadn't just commented on your Blackburn twitter posts, putting the error fresh in my mind.

When someone commented on your twitter thread about Jerad issuing a correction, I was going to say that I really doubted Jerad would go through the trouble on an OOP set. Well I was wrong.

But what I'd really like to know is what are you planning on doing with it? Are you going to switch DJs? Or store the corrected DJ in a tube?

Comment

SO GLAD you hadn't tossed it. I know Jerad often uses old dust jackets and other leftover production scraps in the packaging. That's what I thought it was initially.
        Yep, exactly my assumption.

But what I'd really like to know is what are you planning on doing with it? Are you going to switch DJs? Or store the corrected DJ in a tube?
        The djs to all my HCs are in mylar dj covers, so I plan to put both djs together in one mylar cover, one atop the other, with the corrected one being the visible one.

Comment

Yep, exactly my assumption.

The djs to all my HCs are in mylar dj covers, so I plan to put both djs together in one mylar cover, one atop the other, with the corrected one being the visible one.
          That's where I was leaning.

Comment

Well, here’s something...I found the signed and numbered second volume of Leiber’s second volume of the Fafhrd and Mouser stories, SWORDS AGAINST DEATH, at a fraction of its value. It’s a beautiful book, as-new, and the Centipede fanboy in me says to grab it, but I’m just not a sword and sorcery / fantasy fan at all, so chances are high I’d likely never read it. That’s why I decided to skip the Leiber and Moorcock series.

But it’s a real steal and we all buy books at one time or another that we probably don’t plan to read, but just want it on our shelf for whatever reason(s). But then I would have this odd single inclusion from a series of eight (?) volumes...but it’s supposed to be among the better material of the saga...and, again, it’s a lovely book at an unheard-of price.

But in a time when I’m trying (and not really succeeding) to trim down my collection, should a shelf trophy have a place...?

Tips, advice, and tough love appreciated.

Comment

Well, here’s something...I found the signed and numbered second volume of Leiber’s second volume of the Fafhrd and Mouser stories, SWORDS AGAINST DEATH, at a fraction of its value. It’s a beautiful book, as-new, and the Centipede fanboy in me says to grab it, but I’m just not a sword and sorcery / fantasy fan at all, so chances are high I’d likely never read it. That’s why I decided to skip the Leiber and Moorcock series.

But it’s a real steal and we all buy books at one time or another that we probably don’t plan to read, but just want it on our shelf for whatever reason(s). But then I would have this odd single inclusion from a series of eight (?) volumes...but it’s supposed to be among the better material of the saga...and, again, it’s a lovely book at an unheard-of price.

But in a time when I’m trying (and not really succeeding) to trim down my collection, should a shelf trophy have a place...?

Take all the "no's" you can find. I was trying to pass on the two new Blackburn novels. But then Jerad emailed me. And they're part of a set I already own! So I'm obviously struggling. With the way you've described your situation, it sounds like a pass to me.

Comment

I would only take it, if you planned to trade or sell it later to get something else you want.

Comment

Thanks, Jeff...probably sage advice.

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  I would only take it, if you planned to trade or sell it later to get something else you want.
                  I must admit, that did occur to me: either an immediate flip, where I could possibly triple my money, at least double, or hold onto it for a while, enjoy seeing its spine on the shelf, and then flip it in another year or two when a tripling of investment would likely be inevitable. I kinda hate to start going down that road, but...

Comment

I'd recommend picking it up. But then again, I always recommend in favor of picking up a Centipede title.

The signed copies are on the pricier side, right? I got into that series late and only have the unsigned copies of volumes 3 and 4.

If you jump on it and want to also add volume 4 (Swords Against Wizardry), let me know! I thought I had purchased unsigned copies of volumes 2 and 4 through Centipede, but received two copies of Volume 4 instead.

Comment

Hey, Jeff, I have to take back everything that I said before regarding the additional dust jacket… I just pulled it out, and the dust jacket that I received was for DEVIL DADDY. Are you sure the one you received is a revised, corrected version of OUR LADY OF PAIN? Have you compared the text between them?

Comment

Buy it to flip is my vote. I almost never buy books with the sole intention of selling them, but at the same time, when a screaming deal presents itself and I know I can make a tidy profit... Well, this is an expensive hobby, and every little bit helps.

Comment

Hey, Jeff, I have to take back everything that I said before regarding the additional dust jacket… I just pulled it out, and the dust jacket that I received was for DEVIL DADDY. Are you sure the one you received is a revised, corrected version of OUR LADY OF PAIN? Have you compared the text between them?
                          WELL that is certainly a plot twist. Here's a pic of my two DJ's side by side.

IMG_8359.jpg

Comment

Ah. Okay, it’s definitely been changed. Sounds like reaching out to Jerad is in order. Thanks for the confirmation, Jeff.

Comment

Ah. Okay, it’s definitely been changed. Sounds like reaching out to Jerad is in order. Thanks for the confirmation, Jeff.
                              Yeah, but now I'm wondering if there was an error on Devil Daddy. LOL Or maybe whoever packed your order just grabbed the wrong DJ.

Comment

WELL that is certainly a plot twist. Here's a pic of my two DJ's side by side.

IMG_8359.jpg
                                I do not know the story, or the history of the book, so I will apologize if my question sounds dumb. Are you sure the original dustjacket had the error or is the one used to ship these an error used for packing?

Comment

Working...
                                X