X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    guys this is on sale over at Centipede's John Pelan Sale page. John Pelan Collection: Manly Wade Wellman Owls Hoot in the Daytime Volume 5 of the Manly Wade Wellman Stories. Nightshade Books. Leatherbound edition. $200. That is a great price.
    Here’s a Fine copy for half that price…looks like the guy has 9 copies of it (publisher overstock…?):

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Boo...26an%3DWellman

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    guys this is on sale over at Centipede's John Pelan Sale page. John Pelan Collection: Manly Wade Wellman Owls Hoot in the Daytime Volume 5 of the Manly Wade Wellman Stories. Nightshade Books. Leatherbound edition. $200. That is a great price.
    Last edited by mhatchett; 01-26-2022, 06:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    It's sad and I have no idea about this mans personal life. Based on the little bit of eccentric behavior noted in the article I would suspect he may have had some challenges. Could have been a suicide or accidental suicide. I also noted that Max Booth III wrote this. Like you, I never knew, he wrote articles.

Either way I truly hope he is somewhere in the ether doing things which makes him happy. May he rest in peace.

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Woah! That's nuts. Definitely seems like suicide to me. The amount of details that his manuscript got right makes it seem like he was hoping his death would draw more press attention.

We'll never know though.

Also, I hadn't realized that Max Booth III wrote articles like that!

Leave a comment:

• Splync
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Indeed…read this a number of years ago:

https://litreactor.com/columns/the-s...of-eugene-izzi
    Woah! That's nuts. Definitely seems like suicide to me. The amount of details that his manuscript got right makes it seem like he was hoping his death would draw more press attention.

We'll never know though.

Also, I hadn't realized that Max Booth III wrote articles like that!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

It's a pretty wild mystery, one which will likely never be solved definitively.
    I'd like to think it was an accident. But as you said, we'll never know.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Wow, crazy! I've been meaning to go back and reread his books, but the tbr pile is just nuts. Thanks for the article.
    It's a pretty wild mystery, one which will likely never be solved definitively.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

Wow, crazy! I've been meaning to go back and reread his books, but the tbr pile is just nuts. Thanks for the article.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

I loved all three of his early St. Martins books. The Take is one of my favorite Heist Books. His life was just sort of tragic by any measure.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    Love Eugene Izzi, now there is a story.!

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    Love Eugene Izzi, now there is a story. As for Sheckley, the dude was married 5, Five, 5 times. Clearly he has something to say HAHAH!!

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied

Grabbed a signed copy. I’ve never read Sheckley, but from what I’ve read about him over the last week is that he sounds a bit like Fredric Brown, which makes him an automatic buy for me.
    Sheckley is awesome. I haven't read much, if any, of his stuff since the '80s, when I had a lot of his books. I'm looking forward to this new volume.

You can see my old Sheckley Omnibus in this box of books that were packed up in 1990 and left at my parents' house. I found it and opened it in 2019, but gave most of the books to a local thrift shop. It wasn't worth the extra baggage charge to bring this back across the Atlantic.

sheckley.JPG
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I missed out on the signed copy but I placed an order for this tonight. Looking forward to reading through it.

Grabbed a signed copy. I’ve never read Sheckley, but from what I’ve read about him over the last week is that he sounds a bit like Fredric Brown, which makes him an automatic buy for me.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I missed out on the signed copy but I placed an order for this tonight. Looking forward to reading through it.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    No Robert Sheckley book this week - printer delays. Jerad hopes to have it available to order next week.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I almost always regret Centipede titles I’ve passed up, but William Gibson’s work — cyberpunk and/or hard sci-fi — is really not my thing. Unfortunately, I suspect he’ll join the Blish, Shea (Nifft), Leiber, and Moorcock series that I’ve chosen to skip. Can’t have ‘em all, and hard choices are never fun, but…

Leave a comment:

• JeremyM
    replied
    Originally posted by Splync View Post
    Also, he's doing the whole Sprawl trilogy from William Gibson!

Might not be signed by Gibson, but it'll still be awesome.
    This was the exciting news for me from this newsletter. Really happy to hear that 'Count Zero' and 'Mona Lisa Overdrive' are being planned as well as 'Neuromancer'. I love 'Neuromancer', but I'm not sure it's actually the best of the three, and probably more to the point, it's not the whole story. Based on previous info I believe Dave McKean is providing at least some of the art for 'Neuromancer - not sure if he's providing illustrations for the other books or not?

Gibson's 'The Peripheral' is being adapted by Amazon as a series, and likely to land sometime this year. I've liked most of Gibson's work, but 'The Peripheral' is special and could translate very well to the screen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X