X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I’ve eyed multiple Tartarus books but I’ve never pulled the trigger on any of them. Temptation is now strong…
    I'm a Tartarus Newbie, relatively. It's never too late! Let me help nudge you then: Their recent Machen reprint- THE HOUSE OF SOULS- is one of the finest books I own. Just gorgeous. And it's like, what? 50 bucks? http://www.tartaruspress.com/machen-...-of-souls.html

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    Tartarus has been producing lovely books for decades now. However, theirs is a very uniform look, so uninspired isn't an entirely unfair criticism. That said, PS has certainly dominated the landscape in terms of UK limited edition publishers for many years.
    And... You've rightly pointed out a glaring exception- Tartarus are elegantly wonderful. I wouldn't call them uninspiring at all- they immediately set a beautiful "look" and have stuck with it- it's what defines them and I love it, personally. Really, I was more referring to UK Trade edition publishers in general, with cheap paper and bindings, though they've gotten better. Pre all these small presses popping up, book collectors wanted American editions. PS was one of the first real prominent UK small press, and they're now finally moving out of - to my mind- as what I consider one of the "newer" presses . I'm Just getting old; 54 and have been collecting since 17, chasing down rare Sherlock Holmes pastiche's when I devoured the original 60 stories and needed more. That world was/is vast and eye-opening to a young book novice. Anyway, I like PS just fine. Glad they're there, doing their thing, and even though I love Pete and Co, and have a bunch of their books- they simply still aren't as good (quality) as most of the American small press. Thanks for pointing out Tartarus, though. It needed to be.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
    I own a lot of Tartarus Titles. I really Them. They have a very scholarly quality to their material. Their books on books are fantastic.
    I’ve eyed multiple Tartarus books but I’ve never pulled the trigger on any of them. Temptation is now strong…

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied
    I own a lot of Tartarus Titles. I really Them. They have a very scholarly quality to their material. Their books on books are fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
    Tartarus has been producing lovely books for decades now. However, theirs is a very uniform look, so uninspired isn't an entirely unfair criticism. That said, PS has certainly dominated the landscape in terms of UK limited edition publishers for many years.
    I have seen many Tartarus books on the web but have never purchased one.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    I was just cleaning out my preorder lists and was mildly surprised to see that SST holds more preorders from me than any other press- by far. Surprises me a little because as an old, grizzled collector, UK books have always been... well, uninspiring and inferior- there's no subtle way to put it. Paul Fry is changing that- with a vengeance. Love it.
    My perception of UK books is based on the work of PS. I am not sure if that is fair. I received Horrorstor yesterday and it is very nice. May be a while before I get to reading it.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    I received two new SST books on Monday...I've featured them here:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...176544771?s=20 (BENEATH THE SURFACE)

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...297915907?s=20 (BIRD BOX)

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    I was just cleaning out my preorder lists and was mildly surprised to see that SST holds more preorders from me than any other press- by far. Surprises me a little because as an old, grizzled collector, UK books have always been... well, uninspiring and inferior- there's no subtle way to put it. Paul Fry is changing that- with a vengeance. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Looking forward to MY BEST FRIEND'S EXORCISM...and their newest announcement that came out in the most recent newsletter. SST is always a favorite.

Leave a comment:

• CyberGhostface
    replied

https://sstpublications.co.uk/my-bes...-exorcism.html

My Best Friend's Exorcism

Signed Limited Hardcover Edition:
    • Limited to only 400 signed and hand-numbered copies
    • Personally signed by Grady Hendrix and Reiko Murakami on a specially designed full-colour illustrated signature page
    • Larger 6.14” x 9.21” trim size
    • Printed on a heavier 100gsm acid-free paper
    • Bound in premium cloth with coloured head and tail bands
    • Featuring five interior illustrations printed on a special silk art stock & tipped into the book
    • Hot foil stamping on the front boards and spine
    • Offset printed and bound with full-colour endpapers
    • Sewn binding for increased durability
    • Dust jacket artwork and interior illustrations by Reiko Murakami
    • Including extra bonus material

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    That was me.

My copy arrived yesterday. SST's shipments are always surprises since you never know when they'll show up. Bird Box looks really good! I think you'll be happy.
    I have a copy of BIRD BOX on order...yes, I'm giving Malerman another chance. He seems to be one of those authors who many seem to love but my four experiences have been disappointing...save for one, A HOUSE AT THE BOTTOM OF A LAKE, which, other than the ending, I thought was quite good. Good enough to try BIRD BOX again, a DNF the first time I tried. But I did generally like the movie, so thought perhaps it was just one of those wrong-book-at-the-wrong-time kind of things, and I'm confident that the SST treatment will be attractive, so threw caution to the wind.

Speaking of BIRD BOX, can I say (to no one's surprise who has dealt with him) that Paul's customer service is top-notch? I wanted a few days ago to add another SST title to my BIRD BOX order, sneak it in the box that I knew would be leaving soon so as to save on postage, and Paul made the process as easy as could be. My order hadn't left yet, so am looking forward to a two-book SST order coming my way soon.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    That was me.
    I thought it was! I just couldn’t find the post for the life of me. Spot on comment about the cover.

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I also received my copy of HORRORSTOR and someone had mentioned that the cover reminds them of something that Centipede would do and I absolutely agree..
    That was me.

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Paul said the reason for the fast sellout was due to preorders for the Bundle. I preordered when it was offered and am very happy ai did. Waiting on my copy of Bird Box to arrive.
    My copy arrived yesterday. SST's shipments are always surprises since you never know when they'll show up. Bird Box looks really good! I think you'll be happy.

Leave a comment:

• slayn666
    replied
    SST is filling a niche that has been all but missing in recent years: limited editions with a moderate print runs and prices to match.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X