X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

For all the heat that Boys in the Valley has now, if I remember correctly, it wasn't an instant sellout.
    You definitely remember correctly. jeffingoff touted that thing for some time (how long, I can't recall) before it finally sold out. It was Sadie Hartman's (Mother Horror) recommendation that caught the attention of Stephen King, who then tweeted that he had to read it (at which time it had sold out)...and that got the hot ball rolling.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    This just shows me that I truly have no idea as to what books will or won't sell out quickly. I thought for sure that the Earthling Halloween & Fracassi books would be near instant sell-outs; however, there's still copies available. I thought this Suntup book would be a slow seller if not an outright dud since it isn't genre & the price is high, and it sells out in a day. Go figure!
    I'm horrible at choosing what will be hot and what will be not as well. For the Earthling books, the Fracassi title has more than triple the print run of his previous Earthling title, Gothic. And 750 is a large print run for Earthling in general. As far as the Halloween book, those are so hit-and-miss as to what will sellout and they always seem to take a while. For all the heat that Boys in the Valley has now, if I remember correctly, it wasn't an instant sellout. So neither being sold out at this point doesn't surprise me too much. (I'm actually glad that there is still some of the Halloween title left because I've yet to place my order.) As for Mockingbird, I stop even hazarding a guess as to what will sell for Suntup and what won't. They clearly have an audience that reaches further than just the horror genre and I have no experience in that area of book collecting.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    This just shows me that I truly have no idea as to what books will or won't sell out quickly. I thought for sure that the Earthling Halloween & Fracassi books would be near instant sell-outs; however, there's still copies available. I thought this Suntup book would be a slow seller if not an outright dud since it isn't genre & the price is high, and it sells out in a day. Go figure!

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin View Post

Just decided to check and as or 7:45 Pacific the Artist Edition is sold out.
    That's awesome. While this wasn't for me, I will say that the production on that AE looked amazing and if this was a book I loved, I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat. I'm glad that Suntup is finding success with these titles.

Leave a comment:

• Martin
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

At 5pm PST, there are only 19 copies left, so it looks like a same-day sellout. I passed on it as well, but I'm glad to see Suntup have another quick sell-out success.
    Just decided to check and as or 7:45 Pacific the Artist Edition is sold out.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Glad today was To Kill A Mockingbird as I don't need a copy of that one, especially at that price point. That being said, Suntup did say it was one of their most requested non-genre books; so, I'm sure it will do well for them.
    At 5pm PST, there are only 19 copies left, so it looks like a same-day sellout. I passed on it as well, but I'm glad to see Suntup have another quick sell-out success.

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird up for pre-order with Suntup. It looks sweet.

Pass for me due to price but it looks lovely.
    I picked up an AE today. It does look like a beautiful production, and with only 500 copies, I think it'll hold its value better than some other Suntup AEs in the event that I ever want to pass it on.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Glad today was To Kill A Mockingbird as I don't need a copy of that one, especially at that price point. That being said, Suntup did say it was one of their most requested non-genre books; so, I'm sure it will do well for them.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

Agreed. As always, it's a beautiful presentation of a great book. Man, that price point, though! Does anybody remember when $225+ was the price tag for a small press lettered edition?

Grumblings about pricing aside, this book fits in the same slot as their previous editions of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men: I really enjoy the book and it's a stone-cold classic in American literature, but I feel no need to have a super-expensive edition on the shelf. Maybe it's because there's a part of me that views book collecting as helping to preserve a bit of literature and these types of books--To Kill a Mockingbird, Of Mice and Men, The Outsiders, and Slaughterhouse Five--are so entrenched in American literary canon that they will never go out of print or be lost to the sands of time, therefore there's no need to tuck them away in my personal collection. Something for me to mull over for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dave1442397
    replied
    Just received my AGE of Richard Matheson's "Hell House". The Suntup production looks amazing as usual. Think this will be going high up on my TBR pile as it's one of the few Matheson books that I haven't read. Was holding out until I could find a nice hardcover copy which has now been remedied!
    Mine is currently out for delivery! I'm looking forward to reading it. It may be a reread - I really don't remember whether I've read it before, but I'll know once I get a few pages in.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Just received my AGE of Richard Matheson's "Hell House". The Suntup production looks amazing as usual. Think this will be going high up on my TBR pile as it's one of the few Matheson books that I haven't read. Was holding out until I could find a nice hardcover copy which has now been remedied!
    Received my copy of HH today as well. Kind of an impulse buy, given that I already have the signed/numbered Gauntlet edition and I don’t do multiple variants if I can help it…but this one sounded too good for this Matheson enthusiast to pass up.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TacomaDiver
    replied
    I figured it would be Swan Song based on the clues, and American Gods was a given as well. If the other book is Lonesome Dove, that'll be one I'll pickup for the wife.

I have SubPress's Swan Song so I can't see myself double dipping there, and as much as I love Gaiman, I can't ever get into American Gods. I love the premise - I loved hearing him describe it on tours before its released, and it sounded great, but just never clicked. I won't even tell you how many versions I own either (the more I buy, does the book get better?) Figure I can always pick up a copy on the secondary market since Suntup's books don't seem to appreciate that much.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Have you pin pointed what doesn't work for you? It was my first McCammon read and I loved it.

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    Swan Song would be a pass for me. It's the one McCammon book that's never really clicked with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X