Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

That's good to know. I didn't think the AGE was printed on letterpress as I didn't see mention of that anywhere in the description. I thought only the other states were printed on Letterpress. In the description for the AGE, it mentioned that it is printed offset on archival Cougar Natural. Because of that, I'm very surprised by the price for the AGE.
    If it wasn’t clear I just meant the numbered (with the comparison to Blood Meridan) and above was letterpress.

Charlie has 50 inline color illustrations as opposed to inserts as well as sixty pages of bonus features so those are also possible factors.
    Last edited by CyberGhostface; 09-16-2021, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberGhostface View Post

If it wasn’t clear I just meant the numbered (with the comparison to Blood Meridan) and above was letterpress.

Charlie has 50 inline color illustrations as opposed to inserts as well as sixty pages of bonus features so those are also possible factors.
      I am assuming that the inline color illustrations require a different paper stock which would impact cost.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I’m skipping CHARLIE for both the price point and, as Ben said, it holds no particular sentimental value for me, other than I’ve always enjoyed the Gene Wilder movie of it. Plus, while I am a general fan of Dahl’s fiction, I’m not a reader or collector of his — or anyone else’s — children’s fiction, that’s just not a genre path I’m interested in going down, however tempting it may be from time to time. One has to draw the redline somewhere.

I also skipped Lividian’s HEART-SHAPED BOX as I have the S/L of it already. Again: redline. No multiple editions of the same book (save for a very, very select few).

If an upcoming Suntup announcement is THE COLLECTOR, I have the signed limited of that one as well, so the redline kicks in.
        I learned of the limited 'The Collector' from your Twitter and immediately hunted down a copy. I would still be thrilled to add a Suntup edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I learned of the limited 'The Collector' from your Twitter and immediately hunted down a copy. I would still be thrilled to add a Suntup edition.
          Glad I could help. It's a fantastic novel, and I'm so glad to see it (potentially) receive the deluxe Suntup treatment that it so richly deserves, and get it out to hundreds of folks who may be new to it...but on a personal level I just don't need / have room for an add'l copy.

But, again, it's an incredible work. I even have a large canvas print of the 1st ed. dj on the wall in my upstairs loft area:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...573651969?s=20
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I order a copy as well, but, I am a little bummed by the pricing. I was hoping it would be cheaper than Blackwater and Imajica considering the size of both of those books compared to this one. I can only assume that the licensing fee for Wonka must be much higher or that some of the cost of that golden ticket giveaway are being passed on.
            I was thinking earlier about the cost of the giveaway being absorbed into the AE price.

It really makes the Folio Society set seem that much more appealing. Three Dahl books, including Charlie, for less than the cost of an AE. And all three titles have the Blake illustrations.

This one does include other illustrations and bonus material though... But my wallet hurts.

Comment

The AGE has official sold out. Hope everyone who wanted a copy got one!

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I was thinking earlier about the cost of the giveaway being absorbed into the AE price.

It really makes the Folio Society set seem that much more appealing. Three Dahl books, including Charlie, for less than the cost of an AE. And all three titles have the Blake illustrations.

This one does include other illustrations and bonus material though... But my wallet hurts.
                I would assume the margin on all editions has been padded for the giveaways. Does not appear to be hurting sales though.

Comment

I think the price is reflective if the effort put into the production. It is clear that this is a special book to Paul.

On his live feed he stated that the moth included in the Silence Limited was a hint for his next offering. He also mentioned that the hint was a bit obscure for the story and that it already has a limited edition. I mentioned that I hoped it would be The Collector on the TDT forum and Paul responded to another persons guess that they were not correct but that the title had been mentioned. I have the Franklin Library edition and it will be the only limited signed by the author. I really hope I am right, I would love a Suntup production of this book!
                  Don’t forget that Centipede also did a limited of THE COLLECTOR, though it was of course posthumous, so our Franklin Library edition remains the only signed limited.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Don’t forget that Centipede also did a limited of THE COLLECTOR, though it was of course posthumous, so our Franklin Library edition remains the only signed limited.
                    Valid point. Had I been able to get that one at the published price I would probably have it. I have only seen it in photos and it does not present value to me at the prices I have seen. I also do not see it for sale much so the high aftermarket prices are probably in line.
                    Last edited by Martin; 09-20-2021, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Valid point. Had I been able to get that one at the published price I would probably have it. I hove only seen it in photos and it does not present value to me at the prices I have seen. I also do not see it for sale much so the high aftermarket prices are probably in line.
                      It’s one of those ultra-limited 100-copy releases that Centipede does from time to time, so, yeah, aftermarket copies are few and far between. Looking back, at $175, it’s one I should’ve picked up but didn’t, figuring my FL edition was sufficient…ah well.

Comment

Just had a chance to look over the email for the Suntup announcement schedule for October - December 2021. After reading the hints, I genuinely have no guesses as to what the upcoming books will be. Would love to hear if any of you have guesses....

1) This novel by one of the most masterful storytellers of his generation holds its readers captive, and is often credited as creating the modern day psychological thriller.
                        2) Though published only a few years ago, this fast-paced science-fiction novel would have been considered one of the best books of any year… or, any reality.
                        3) A brilliant modern day spin on one of horror’s classic tropes, this novel was highly praised by Stephen King and George R.R. Martin when it arrived in the United States.
                        4) The story of a young boy’s descent into madness and rage, this is the first limited edition of the novel hailed by critics as “startlingly original” upon its publication in the early 90s.

Comment

My guesses for the next quarter - the sci-fi title is the one I'm the least confident in.

Oct - 'The Collector' by John Fowles
                          Nov (1) - 'Dark Matter' by Blake Crouch
                          Nov (2) - 'Hex' by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
                          Dec - 'The Butcher Boy' by Patrick McCabe

Comment

I think those are all solid guesses. I'm not current with sci-fi so I'm not sure on that one but the 1,3,and 4 seem right.

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post
                            My guesses for the next quarter - the sci-fi title is the one I'm the least confident in.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyM View Post

Oct seems likely, especially with the recent butterfly clue.
                              Nov would be interesting...I love Crouch's stuff, and I do think DARK MATTER is his best novel, but I'd be hardpressed to think of his work as having the classic merit worthy of the Suntup treatment. That said, I'd probably buy it.
                              Nov (2) also seems a wise guess, though I wasn't a fan of the book.
                              If Dec is correct, jeffingoff will be thrilled.

Comment

Just had a chance to look over the email for the Suntup announcement schedule for October - December 2021. After reading the hints, I genuinely have no guesses as to what the upcoming books will be. Would love to hear if any of you have guesses....

1) This novel by one of the most masterful storytellers of his generation holds its readers captive, and is often credited as creating the modern day psychological thriller.
                                2) Though published only a few years ago, this fast-paced science-fiction novel would have been considered one of the best books of any year… or, any reality.
                                3) A brilliant modern day spin on one of horror’s classic tropes, this novel was highly praised by Stephen King and George R.R. Martin when it arrived in the United States.
                                4) The story of a young boy’s descent into madness and rage, this is the first limited edition of the novel hailed by critics as “startlingly original” upon its publication in the early 90s.
                                I remain 'cautiously' confident that October is 'The Collector'. I am my normal 'clueless' on the remaining.

Comment

Working...
                                X