Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Like the artwork.. Don't like the butterfly binding. My experiences with that kind of binding has never been good. It will sell out for sure because once you get out it becomes arbitrary lottery instead of first come served and that's just near to being impossible to get in when there are books that you really want. Already more than 50% sold out.
    My kneejerk takeaways: I like the art very much, the durability of the butterfly binding would concern me, and Ellis penning the introduction seems a very odd choice. That said, it's visually a striking, lovely package, and one I'd love to have in my collection but I'm nowhere near a player at that price. I'll just have to continue to enjoy my 1st/1st Everyman Library HC and call it a day...had there been an AE, I certainly would have snagged one.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have to admit that I am surprised by the fear of butterfly binding. I think of butterfly binding as binding that is designed to open flat. This eliminates the concern of cracking the binding by opening it too much. I have always thought of this binding technique as more durable than smith sewn. I could be wrong but I have no fear of handling a book bound in this manner.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I have to admit that I am surprised by the fear of butterfly binding. I think of butterfly binding as binding that is designed to open flat. This eliminates the concern of cracking the binding by opening it too much. I have always thought of this binding technique as more durable than smith sewn. I could be wrong but I have no fear of handling a book bound in this manner.
        No fear, just a general sense of unfamiliarity and lack of experience with that form of binding, so it’s a bit unsettling in a thousand-dollar book, that’s all. I assume it’s more than adequate for the job and it certainly looks striking, but as the fragile black walnut paper boards that were mentioned a few posts earlier suggest, issues can present where none were assumed to develop. Thus, unorthodox/atypical binding would just make me a little nervous on a book costing a grand...but that’s my hang-up and no reflection on Paul’s innovative design choices.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

So my assumption that there will be a lot of people passing on the limited due to price and lack of author signature appears to be incorrect. 23 hours after initial offering 67 limited and 5 lettered editions remain.

Comment

So my assumption that there will be a lot of people passing on the limited due to price and lack of author signature appears to be incorrect. 23 hours after initial offering 67 limited and 5 lettered editions remain.
            I wonder how many people are using their stimulus funds to make this purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post

I wonder how many people are using their stimulus funds to make this purchase?
              I had not considered that. Could be a valid point.

Comment

Looks like five left for lottery. Anyone here going to enter?
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I entered for the sole reason to flip it. I have no interest in a limited of the book.

I see three copies on eBay in the $1500-$2000 range. A 50% return is pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                    I entered for the sole reason to flip it. I have no interest in a limited of the book.

I see three copies on eBay in the $1500-$2000 range. A 50% return is pretty sweet.
                    Are they gonna sell for that though?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post

Are they gonna sell for that though?
                      One has sold for over $1,600 and the other two both have bids, so it appears they will sell at that level. None are being sold with rights as they will be sent to the buyer on release. It is possible a person could get a higher price were they to include rights transfer.

Comment

Best of luck to you. I think this is a low risk investment if you are selected. Not sure what the actual profit will be but I don't think this will be a loser.

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

One has sold for over $1,600 and the other two both have bids, so it appears they will sell at that level. None are being sold with rights as they will be sent to the buyer on release. It is possible a person could get a higher price were they to include rights transfer.
                          Does anyone get the feeling that we've seen the Suntup "Peak", with Blood Meridian being the tipping point? I mean, why isn't this book selling for $2600, just following the basic math of the crazy prices of the last year. Didn't Silence of the Lambs sell for $2300 or some insane price right after sellout? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by swintek View Post

Does anyone get the feeling that we've seen the Suntup "Peak", with Blood Meridian being the tipping point? I mean, why isn't this book selling for $2600, just following the basic math of the crazy prices of the last year. Didn't Silence of the Lambs sell for $2300 or some insane price right after sellout? Just wondering.
                            I have zero ability to predict which books will command a premium on the secondary market.

Comment

Just noticed that Suntup has announced their schedule for April - June 2021. Can't wait to hear the guesses start rolling in. Am especially intrigued by the last June announcement which is to be a compete surprise with no hints. Must be a "big" book.

Comment

A lot of folks are speculating Joe Hill for the May release, but I really hope it isn't. Given that it's a collection of 4 novellas, that would indicate Strange Weather. So if Suntup were doing Strange Weather, it'd really be an insult to Cemetery Dance.

What's interesting to me is that the author of the May title is signing all of the editions, but there is no mention of an artist. I take this to mean that the is either no artist or that the author IS the artist.

Has Clive Barker done four novellas? I can only think of The Hellbound Heart...

Comment

Working...
                                X