No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opened the link in the preorder email and accidently clicked to Lettered link. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the retail. Even 'not at lettered pricing' the limited is his most expensive limited yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
      Opened the link in the preorder email and accidently clicked to Lettered link. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the retail. Even 'not at lettered pricing' the limited is his most expensive limited yet.
      He did manage to cash in on the hype train lol. Looking at the price, 800$ would have seemed cheap. I don't know if people will be put off by this though because when I saw the livestream, i felt people were ready sell their kidneys for the book lmao. AE not being available is big disappointment for sure.

Comment

Kept it a tick under 1K for the numbered. Looks like a gorgeous book and I hope everyone is thrilled with it. I really like that Rob Wood is the artist.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Kept it a tick under 1K for the numbered. Looks like a gorgeous book and I hope everyone is thrilled with it. I really like that Rob Wood is the artist.
          The overall design and the art look fantastic.

Comment

Sorry but I feel with this book at this price for an edition not signed by the author that Suntup has finally jumped the shark. I know it’ll sell out but to me no book is worth what he has priced it at. I also don’t like the design of the book and at this cost I would be afraid to even touch it for fear of damaging it. Just my opinion. Those who are getting it congratulations.

Comment

I will certainly agree that the book isn't very approachable. I like the looks of it but it doesn't look like it's meant to be read.

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
              Sorry but I feel with this book at this price for an edition not signed by the author that Suntup has finally jumped the shark. I know it’ll sell out but to me no book is worth what he has priced it at. I also don’t like the design of the book and at this cost I would be afraid to even touch it for fear of damaging it. Just my opinion. Those who are getting it congratulations.
              Last edited by Ben Staad; 03-18-2021, 07:57 PM.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Like the artwork.. Don't like the butterfly binding. My experiences with that kind of binding has never been good. It will sell out for sure because once you get out it becomes arbitrary lottery instead of first come served and that's just near to being impossible to get in when there are books that you really want. Already more than 50% sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  I will certainly agree that the book isn't very approachable. I like the looks if it but it doesn't look like it's meant to be read.

And that’s part of my problem and one that made Stephen King so reluctant to do limited editions. What good is a book if it’s not meant to be read? And Yes I do read my limited edition books.

Comment

The overall design and the art look fantastic.
                    Agreed, I like the art and binding design.

Bret Easton Ellis is a left-field choice to write the intro though. While I should give this the benefit of the doubt, my first thought is this is a missed opportunity. Hopefully it's better than I think it's going to be. Given the amount that has been written about this work in particular, by many academics, this is a bit of a head scratcher.

Comment

Well now, those are some nice looking books. Wish I had the road to go along with it but unfortunately wasn't able to get on the bus until Brother.

Comment

My questions yesterday came from my wondering how many people will feel this way. I am very interested in seeing how many make it to public sale and how fast those sell.

Comment

I would be afraid to even touch it for fear of damaging it.
                          This is a very real concern with Suntup's more exotic bindings. I'm very likely to be out a substantial amount on Brother because the ridiculous paper he used on the limited can't even withstand being taken in and out of the slipcase, and it's really hard to convince the postal service that the value of something has been effectively destroyed because of some rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

This is a very real concern with Suntup's more exotic bindings. I'm very likely to be out a substantial amount on Brother because the ridiculous paper he used on the limited can't even withstand being taken in and out of the slipcase, and it's really hard to convince the postal service that the value of something has been effectively destroyed because of some rubbing.
                            Although I handle it gingerly I have had no issue with Brother. Question, how could the postal service damage a book inside a slipcase?

Comment

Although I handle it gingerly I have had no issue with Brother. Question, how could the postal service damage a book inside a slipcase?
                              It's kind of a weird situation honestly. The buyer sent me some photos and a description and apparently the bubble wrap deflated, which allowed the book to shift around. Even deflated, I'd used enough bubble wrap that book was still generally secure - there were no dings or dents in the book or slipcase - and it would not have been an issue for a book bound with normal material, perhaps not even for something a bit more tony like leather (bonded MAY have had an issue), but that silly paper Paul used for Brother came right the hell off at any location that touched the slipcase.

It was sold to an overseas buyer, so I suspect the issue may have been pressure differentials on either end of or during the flight over the pond, but still, I'm no rookie at this, I know how to pack a book preparing for the worst. Paul clearly likes these super fancy binding materials but doesn't appear to give a lot of thought to something so outré as handling the book you just paid hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to acquire.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

It's kind of a weird situation honestly. The buyer sent me some photos and a description and apparently the bubble wrap deflated, which allowed the book to shift around. Even deflated, I'd used enough bubble wrap that book was still generally secure - there were no dings or dents in the book or slipcase - and it would not have been an issue for a book bound with normal material, perhaps not even for something a bit more tony like leather (bonded MAY have had an issue), but that silly paper Paul used for Brother came right the hell off at any location that touched the slipcase.

It was sold to an overseas buyer, so I suspect the issue may have been pressure differentials on either end of or during the flight over the pond, but still, I'm no rookie at this, I know how to pack a book preparing for the worst. Paul clearly likes these super fancy binding materials but doesn't appear to give a lot of thought to something so outré as handling the book you just paid hundreds (or thousands) of dollars to acquire.
                                That makes more sense. Due to shipping extremes the book went through unintended ministrations. I can see that the book, while fine for normal wear and tear could suffer from what you describe.

Comment

Working...
                                X