Weird House Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Same. I've occasionally thought of establishing a Facebook profile solely for browsing the various publisher pages, participate in various Facebook collecting groups and classifieds...nothing else. But I suspect it wouldn't be received well to have zero Friends following you or you following them, probably a red flag that wouldn't allow membership in anything. Too bad.
    RON you would be more than welcome in my Jeff Word and SST groups!! And Hans would undoubtedly let you into the Books of Horror group which has like 20000 members. And that goes for everyone here. If anyone in this forum wants in on my groups with a brand new profile just message me and you're in.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

RON you would be more than welcome in my Jeff Word and SST groups!! And Hans would undoubtedly let you into the Books of Horror group which has like 20000 members. And that goes for everyone here. If anyone in this forum wants in on my groups with a brand new profile just message me and you're in.
      Good to know, Jeff -- thanks to you and Ben for the assurance. I may just do it if it truly won't be an obstacle to be a 0-friend cypher...I've certainly thought about repeatedly over the years, knowing how much I'm likely missing out on, from good conversation to fee-free (I guess?) classified sales (and presumably cheaper buys since the seller doesn't have fees on their end)...eBay's received enough of my $$ over the years...but more importantly, the broader discussions with fellow collectors that are just a lot of fun. I get a fair dose of that through Twitter if a particular book I showcase sparks conversation and through here, but it sometimes feels like there's a bigger party out there that I keep turning the invitation for. Not sure I have the bandwidth for more, but I often think I'd sure like to try it out and see. My daughter put me on Reddit and I tried a few subgroups (or whatever they're called) for a short while but it never really clicked. Same with Instagram...I post pics of my motorcycles in the summer, but that's about it...never quite understood how a meaningful conversation can be had in that format.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

At least for now FB may be a better platform to sell books on as well. Sounds like EBay fees and rules are making it harder for folks to casually sell books on their platform.

Good to know, Jeff -- thanks to you and Ben for the assurance. I may just do it if it truly won't be an obstacle to be a 0-friend cypher...I've certainly thought about repeatedly over the years, knowing how much I'm likely missing out on, from good conversation to fee-free (I guess?) classified sales (and presumably cheaper buys since the seller doesn't have fees on their end)...eBay's received enough of my $$ over the years...but more importantly, the broader discussions with fellow collectors that are just a lot of fun. I get a fair dose of that through Twitter if a particular book I showcase sparks conversation and through here, but it sometimes feels like there's a bigger party out there that I keep turning the invitation for. Not sure I have the bandwidth for more, but I often think I'd sure like to try it out and see. My daughter put me on Reddit and I tried a few subgroups (or whatever they're called) for a short while but it never really clicked. Same with Instagram...I post pics of my motorcycles in the summer, but that's about it...never quite understood how a meaningful conversation can be had in that format.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          At least for now FB may be a better platform to sell books on as well. Sounds like EBay fees and rules are making it harder for folks to casually sell books on their platform.

Nearly 15% total fee in the Managed Payment system now in place, and you must provide your Social Security number because once you pass $600 in total sales all sales get reported to the IRS for income purposes and prompt issuance of a 1099-K form. This is for 2022 sales only (and thus tax prep in 2023); sales for 2021 don't apply...which makes now a good time to think about alternate avenues for those of us trying to trim their collection down a bit.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Exactly. I'm sure FB will catch up to Ebay soon but private transactions are harder to regulate.

Nearly 15% total fee in the Managed Payment system now in place, and you must provide your Social Security number because once you pass $600 in total sales all sales get reported to the IRS for income purposes and prompt issuance of a 1099-K form. This is for 2022 sales only (and thus tax prep in 2023); sales for 2021 don't apply...which makes now a good time to think about alternate avenues for those of us trying to trim their collection down a bit.

Comment

What do you all think about the Patreon for Weird House? Think they can keep up to a special edition book a month?

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyb View Post
                What do you all think about the Patreon for Weird House? Think they can keep up to a special edition book a month?
                I will start by saying I had no thoughts about it since they have never sent an email saying they had launched a Patreon. I am sure they mentioned it on Facebook which means nothing to me. Since you did tell me about it, I decided to check it out.
                My thoughts:
                1. Somewhat confusing:
                1a. Every level has mention of Patron-only AMA events with no explanation. I have no clue what that is.
                2b. "This tier also offers many of the lower tier perks as well.". So, I can pay more and not get benefits from the lower tiers?
                2. Completely agree that they may be overcommitting as they are promising a hardcover a month and 15 paperbacks a year. That is pretty aggressive.
                3. Pricing:
                3a. The only one that I feel comes close to offering value is the$1.00 tier. That is because of the advance pre-order window
                3b. The $100 tier adds a one-time item that you are paying every month.

I wish Mr. Morey success but there is nothing here for me.

Comment

I think they will try but ultimately fall behind. Either way I am not that Patreon guy. Neither Patreon or Kickstarter ever did anything for me.

Comment

I find that the vast majority of author/publisher Patreons fall behind relatively quickly if they promise anything more than a handful of books a year (in the case of publishers) or random writings throughout (authors). I can't necessarily fault either as I'm sure they all have good intentions, but the reality of trying to put a strict schedule on creative endeavors, combined with the current hellscape we're living in vis a vis supply chain issues, mean that, more often than not, they slowly and steadily fall behind and never catch up.

Comment

FYI. I just received the newsletter for this Antho.

Comment

I wonder if they have some company dedicated to only making their books. It does seem like a lot. I'm curious as to the quality of these books. Haven't seen too many pictures out in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
                          I find that the vast majority of author/publisher Patreons fall behind relatively quickly if they promise anything more than a handful of books a year (in the case of publishers) or random writings throughout (authors). I can't necessarily fault either as I'm sure they all have good intentions, but the reality of trying to put a strict schedule on creative endeavors, combined with the current hellscape we're living in vis a vis supply chain issues, mean that, more often than not, they slowly and steadily fall behind and never catch up.
                          I have dabbled with a few Patreon accounts and with one exception they have failed too consistently deliver upon their offerings. The one exception is Brian James Freeman. With the recent Lividian offerings I actually did the math. In three years of membership, he as delivered more value than I have paid. I based the retails on an average as many of the items were never offered for sale. I believe one or two items have been shipped later than the original estimate but not by enough to matter. Hopefully Weird House will find its groove on Patreon and people will find value in their offerings. I think it is a consistent source of income if they deliver consistent product of value.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                            FYI. I just received the newsletter for this Antho.
                            I did as well. It mentions both the anthology and the Patreon.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I have dabbled with a few Patreon accounts and with one exception they have failed too consistently deliver upon their offerings. The one exception is Brian James Freeman. With the recent Lividian offerings I actually did the math. In three years of membership, he as delivered more value than I have paid. I based the retails on an average as many of the items were never offered for sale. I believe one or two items have been shipped later than the original estimate but not by enough to matter. Hopefully Weird House will find its groove on Patreon and people will find value in their offerings. I think it is a consistent source of income if they deliver consistent product of value.
                              It seems being named Brian gives you a leg up to be an exception, because the only other author Patreon (that I'm familiar with) that has consistently delivered is Brian Keene's. Ed Lorn comes close, but seems to run in to issues with printers on a somewhat frequent basis and that really slows things down.

Comment

I wonder if they have some company dedicated to only making their books. It does seem like a lot. I'm curious as to the quality of these books. Haven't seen too many pictures out in the wild.
                                I would say they are on par with PS Publishing. I have a few of their books and I think they're pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X