Weird House Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Anyone receive their box yet? Curious to think what others that of theirs. Plus one person was supposed to get an extra bonus surprise.
    Mine is inbound, but I'm already impressed with Weird House!

Because there was a comments section in the checkout, I asked if it were possible to get the shirt in 2XL, if any were available. I'm used to getting whatever shirt is available and would be happy with whatever, but figured I'd ask...

Well, I got an email from Joe Morey letting me know that my books were on their way, but that the shirt would ship separately in a few months once they had 2XL shirts back in stock.

Very cool indeed!

Comment

That is very cool of Joe.

Originally posted by Splync View Post

Mine is inbound, but I'm already impressed with Weird House!

Because there was a comments section in the checkout, I asked if it were possible to get the shirt in 2XL, if any were available. I'm used to getting whatever shirt is available and would be happy with whatever, but figured I'd ask...

Well, I got an email from Joe Morey letting me know that my books were on their way, but that the shirt would ship separately in a few months once they had 2XL shirts back in stock.

Very cool indeed!
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Some interesting WH news from S.T. Joshi's online journal: http://stjoshi.org/news.html

"As for myself, I have been busy on many fronts. I was glad to have done a light copyedit of Joshua Rex’s short novel The Inamorta, soon to be published by Joe Morey’s Weird House. What is more, I also assisted in preparing musical notation for the book: it involves a viola virtuoso in the late eighteenth century, and I transcribed a vocal rendition by Joshua of a spectral melody that figures in the text—this in spite of the fact that I have always found viola clef to be cursedly difficult! But Joshua claims I managed to produce a transcription that accurately echoes his rendition. A handwritten version of this melody will appear on the endpapers of the book—and I understand that Joe will somehow make the actual melody available, perhaps in conjunction with an audiobook of the volume.

As for my own projects, I am myself preparing a large volume for Weird House—nothing less than the first collection of stories by the noted Weird Tales writer Everil Worrell (1893–1969). She published more than twenty stories in Weird Tales and Ghost Stories between 1926 and 1955, and they have never been gathered into a volume before. (I am leaving out some of the mediocre and outdated science fiction stories she wrote.) The volume—The Canal and Other Weird Stories—has a great deal of interesting material. Lovecraft himself appreciated “The Canal” (Weird Tales, December 1927) as well as “Norn” (Weird Tales, February 1936), and perhaps other of Worrell’s stories"

Comment

Interesting news. Thank you for sharing.

I'm non-musical so all that stuff goes right over my head.

Comment

I'm glad Joshi has chilled out in the past couple of years as that Worrell volume sounds pretty interesting and I'd hate to miss it over a personal boycott.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
              I'm glad Joshi has chilled out in the past couple of years as that Worrell volume sounds pretty interesting and I'd hate to miss it over a personal boycott.
              I'm not as familiar with Joshi's work other than him editing all sorts of Lovecraftian anthologies. Had he gone off the deep end a bit that he needed to chill out?

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I'm not as familiar with Joshi's work other than him editing all sorts of Lovecraftian anthologies. Had he gone off the deep end a bit that he needed to chill out?
                He was an incredibly toxic presence in the horror community for many years. He didn't seem capable of merely disagreeing with someone, or not liking their book - no, he had to make it all very personal, attacking pretty much everyone that wasn't in total agreement with him. He threw an epic hissy fit when the trophy for the World Fantasy Award was changed.

A weird aside to that: if you criticize Joshi on Reddit or in FB groups, there's a very real chance that Ramsey Campbell will show up to defend him.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

He was an incredibly toxic presence in the horror community for many years. He didn't seem capable of merely disagreeing with someone, or not liking their book - no, he had to make it all very personal, attacking pretty much everyone that wasn't in total agreement with him. He threw an epic hissy fit when the trophy for the World Fantasy Award was changed.

A weird aside to that: if you criticize Joshi on Reddit or in FB groups, there's a very real chance that Ramsey Campbell will show up to defend him.
                  I don't know that "epic hissy fit" is accurate, but, yeah- he strongly opposed removing Lovecraft's visage from the WFA (for the record, I personally think it was probably a good idea to change the award's likeness, and well-past time to do so- for obvious reasons). And, yeah, he's been less than charitable- publicly- in his opinion of some modern horror writers in the recent past, but, as you say- he seems to have calmed down a bit. I've no real argument for or against Joshi personally, other than stating the obvious about his importance in championing Weird Fiction, and also to say that in my limited contact with him he's always been very kind and personable.

In any case, I look forward to these books from Weird House, as they sound like my kind of stuff. I really hope Joe's just getting started!

Comment

Joshi's problems are myriad, but as has been said, he's calmed down and this thread is about Joe Morey's Weird House, so I'll drop it.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out how they got my email address, as newsletters just started showing up out of the blue, then I realized it was Joe's new company and he probably just used the email list he'd put together in his years at DRP.

Comment

New Antho up for pre-order.

https://www.weirdhousepress.com/prod...7Co4_rXtcaRzGo

About this book

Preorder Now!

Coming in March of 2022!

13 Haunted Houses: A New Weird House Press Anthology!
                      Edited by Curtis M. Lawson and Joe Morey
                      125 Hardcover editions. The first twenty-five will be signed by the editors Curtis M. Lawson and Joe Morey!

Haunted Houses have intrigued and terrified the human mind for millennia. From folk tales about remote cabins, to Victorian ghost stories, to Hollywood blockbusters, the iconic crumbling walls and creaking doors have maintained themselves as a staple of horror. Weird House Press has gathered 13 of the finest voices in modern horror to construct and breathe unlife into haunted houses of their own. In these pages you will find cliffside mansions brimming with death, Lighthouses that serve as beacons of madness, and cursed architecture with a mind of its own. Explore abandoned homes with dark secrets and stand face to face with malevolent specters and demoniac spirits.

Stories included in 13 Haunted Houses:

UP ABOVE – RAMSEY CAMPBELL
                      EDDY BOY – JAMES CHAMBERS
                      THE BIRDHOUSE – DOUGLAS WYNNE
                      DEATH PLATE SEATING FOR 1000 – SARAH READ
                      HOME, SAFE AND SOUND – EMMA J. GIBBON
                      DEEP DOWN INSIDE – EVANS LIGHT
                      TEA HOUSE VIGNETTES – SARA TANTLINGER
                      27 FALSHAM STREET – TONY RICHARDS
                      GLIMMER – JASON PARENT
                      RUNNING THE NERVE GHOST – SIMON CLARK
                      DEATH RATTLE – TIM CURRAN
                      HONEYMOON IN BURNING BEDLAM – RICHARD GAVIN
                      THE LAST HAUNTED HOUSE STORY – PHILIP FRACASSI

ABOUT THIS BOOK

13 terrifying haunted house stories from modern day masters of horror!
                      Coming in March of 2022
                      13 Haunted Houses!
                      Edited by Curtis M. Lawson and Joe Morey
                      Twenty-five hardcover editions signed by Curtis M. Lawson and Joe Morey!
                      Front cover artwork by Cyrus Walker Productions

Comment

Thanks, Ben Staad. Did you happen to get a newsletter on this, or some other source? I did not receive a newsletter and want to make sure I fix that if so.

Comment

Saw it announced on FB. Only reason I'm there is for books.

I didn't get a newsetter either so I'm guessing that don't have a mailing list? Ordered the book and didn't get an email confirmation either. So maybe they aren't big on the email thing.

Originally posted by swintek View Post
                          Thanks, Ben Staad. Did you happen to get a newsletter on this, or some other source? I did not receive a newsletter and want to make sure I fix that if so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                            Saw it announced on FB. Only reason I'm there is for books.

I didn't get a newsetter either so I'm guessing that don't have a mailing list? Ordered the book and didn't get an email confirmation either. So maybe they aren't big on the email thing.

They have a newsletter you can subscribe to on their website. They are wildly inconsistent on sending out emails though. I rarely get more than one a month and they go several months between then at times. The last I received was mid-December. They may be another who choose to reach their customers via Facebook, which eliminates my engagement.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

They may be another who choose to reach their customers via Facebook, which eliminates my engagement.
                              Same. I've occasionally thought of establishing a Facebook profile solely for browsing the various publisher pages, participate in various Facebook collecting groups and classifieds...nothing else. But I suspect it wouldn't be received well to have zero Friends following you or you following them, probably a red flag that wouldn't allow membership in anything. Too bad.
                              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I have two friends on FB. My wife and an Author I like chatting with. I don't think any of the collecting groups would flag you.

As a side note the author I like chatting with can be politically vocal. We have laughed that if either one of us unfriends the other, because we are tired of the others political posts, it will be no big deal and understood. We noted to each other that we will try and keep that stuff to a minimum.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Same. I've occasionally thought of establishing a Facebook profile solely for browsing the various publisher pages, participate in various Facebook collecting groups and classifieds...nothing else. But I suspect it wouldn't be received well to have zero Friends following you or you following them, probably a red flag that wouldn't allow membership in anything. Too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X