All Things Earthling Publications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post

Add to that the fact that I hate reading books printed on bright white paper, which strains my eyes, it will be a while before I even attempt this one. It is a nice production, but I so wish it was printed on different paper stock.
    I have that issue with Stark House’s releases…I love their books, but I do so *in spite* of their paper choice, which to my eyes is an even brighter white than Earthling’s. As you say, it strains the eyes and makes for a less than optimal reading experience.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Interesting observation. I don't think I have issue with the paper brightness. I think in this case I like the paper choice. As I age though it may become more of an issue for me. Due to arthritis reading a book this size is difficult which is the same issue I have with regular size PB's. They just don't sit well in my hands.
      Last edited by Ben Staad; 02-03-2022, 01:44 PM.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I really want to see if someone else picks up the political undertones. None of the other reviews have mentioned them yet, though I suspect that it won't be until the novel is widely available.

The philosophical bits certainly outweigh the political bits six-to-one. And it should also be noted that Malerman and I share a lot of the same political beliefs, but I still needed to mention said undertones.
        I've missed this entire conversation somehow. But yes, there are political undertones. In two passages there are very left-leaning viewpoints that get a lot of play. To Malerman's credit, he doesn't place blame on the right-leaning characters, instead illustrating how he thinks they're being led astray. In both cases that come to mind, there are wicked people with selfish intentions manipulating otherwise good people. So it's not the same as Hilary saying Trump supporters are a "basket of deplorables." Malerman is simply saying there are forces that manipulate desperate people. And it goes to the larger point of the book--resist being a follower, resist apathy, embrace critical thinking. I imagine if Malerman wanted to make the book politically "balanced" he could have included a passage about people masquerading as environmental activists convincing good people to do stupid things and the point would be the same.

All that said, I think Malerman walks a line and he's not nearly as ham-fisted as King. King takes some pointless, story-disrupting jabs at his political opposites that land like a teenager screaming at his parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
          Interesting observation. I don't think I have issue with the paper brightness. I think in this case I like the paper choice. As I age though it may become more of an issue for me. Due to arthritis reading a book this size is difficult which is the same issue I have with regular size PB's. They just don't sit well in my hands.
          I had just read Palmetto last weekend and so the eye strain associated with the bright white paper is fresh in my mind. Bright White paper has always been an issue for me, but it is definitely getting worse as I age out. To be honest I am at the point that I will probably hesitate on Earthing purchases as I buy books to read.

Comment

Finally received my copy of ghoul n the cape as well. Turned out amazing! Totally forgot that the shot glass came with the order; so, that was a happy surprise. Now I just have to clear some shelf space for this monster sized book.

Comment

Just pre-ordered Earthling's 2022 Halloween Series Book: Marla by Jonathan Janz. I could not be more excited by this announcement as I am a huge Janz fan and this one sounds awesome. I also pretty much adore everything that I have previously purchased from Earthling. Their standards are fantastic! Also, I don't know how Earthling can offer their amazing limited editions at this price, but, God bless them. Total with shipping for this signed limited was $68. My wallet was totally doing a happy dance as it feels like most other publishers are currently offering their limited editions at double to triple the price. Overall, Earthling made me very happy today!

Comment

I ordered this one as well. Price point is great and I never have complaints about the quality of their books.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                Just pre-ordered Earthling's 2022 Halloween Series Book: Marla by Jonathan Janz. I could not be more excited by this announcement as I am a huge Janz fan and this one sounds awesome. I also pretty much adore everything that I have previously purchased from Earthling. Their standards are fantastic! Also, I don't know how Earthling can offer their amazing limited editions at this price, but, God bless them. Total with shipping for this signed limited was $68. My wallet was totally doing a happy dance as it feels like most other publishers are currently offering their limited editions at double to triple the price. Overall, Earthling made me very happy today!

Comment

I'm on the fence with this one. This is more financial than anything. I really like Earthling and I'm glad to see them producing more books and the price point is nice. I just made a decent size purchase from Thunderstorm and it looks like there are a slew of Centipede Press books coming out for the next couple of weeks. This has pinched the ol' pocket book. Hopefully, Camelot will have some available or stock will hold out through Earthling for a bit.

I am very interested in next week's offering: GOTHIC by Philip Fracassi.

Comment

I know the feeling. I have a maybe on a little more expensive purchase which is precluding me from buying something else at the moment. GOTHIC sounds like a great read as well. So I hope to know in the next few days where my money will be going. LOL.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    I'm on the fence with this one. This is more financial than anything. I really like Earthling and I'm glad to see them producing more books and the price point is nice. I just made a decent size purchase from Thunderstorm and it looks like there are a slew of Centipede Press books coming out for the next couple of weeks. This has pinched the ol' pocket book. Hopefully, Camelot will have some available or stock will hold out through Earthling for a bit.

I am very interested in next week's offering: GOTHIC by Philip Fracassi.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                      I know the feeling. I have a maybe on a little more expensive purchase which is precluding me from buying something else at the moment. GOTHIC sounds like a great read as well. So I hope to know in the next few days where my money will be going. LOL.

Why can't we just have all of the money, right?

Comment

A post on FB from Earthling:

"A brief but important update regarding Philip Fracassi’s GOTHIC:

Apologies but I need to move the preorders start time to Tuesday, April 19, Noon EST.
                        Please reset your alarms! Tell all your friends!

Also note, given that only 235 numbered and 15 lettered deluxe hardcovers will be produced (just under half the print run of BOYS IN THE VALLEY), I will likely be limiting orders to two copies per household so more people have the opportunity to buy this book at cover price.

Enjoy the rest of your week, and see you Tuesday!"

Comment

I pulled the trigger on GOTHIC this morning. Did anybody else?

The price gave me pause. I was hoping it would be in the $50-60 range. $85 made me hesitate. Regret over passing on BOYS IN THE VALLEY pushed me over the edge.

Comment

Well, if you wanted a copy of GOTHIC, I hope you got one, because it sold out in under twenty minutes. I figured it would go pretty fast considering the buzz around the author and the very small print run, but that's pretty darn fast. Congratulations to Paul at Earthling!

Comment

I got my copy. Even with the low print run and all of the chatter I was not expecting it to be gone in 20 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                                I pulled the trigger on GOTHIC this morning. Did anybody else?

The price gave me pause. I was hoping it would be in the $50-60 range. $85 made me hesitate. Regret over passing on BOYS IN THE VALLEY pushed me over the edge.
                                I grabbed a copy and also regret missing out on BOYS IN THE VALLEY. Congrats Paul!

Comment

Working...
                                X