X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffingoff
    replied
    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

They've had some (small) issues along the way, but I've personally loved the handful of books that I've purchased for them so far (Between Two Angels, The BlackTongue Thief, Ring Shout, & the Atlas of Hell). While not at Centipede or Suntup level, they are always solid production-wise and usually have some interior art too. Their prices are also still pretty fair, especially considering some of the huge increases I've seen recently with other indie presses.
    I only have John Dies at the End from them and I'd compare the quality to SST. Its best feature is the full color art on glossy paper. There are only 4 illustrations but I love the way they're treated. I'd like more art but I know it's probably a tough thing for a publisher to choose the upgrades to the book--more art or full color illustrations or a slipcase or heavier paper or whatever else--while keeping costs reasonable. I'd say Travis at MidWorld is doing a better job of it than SubPress. I'd rather have black and white interior pieces than no art at all after the signature sheet. But Paul Fry at SST is doing it better than anyone.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my copy. The only reason I haven't purchased more from MW is because they don't publish books I'm interested in and I'm broke. 

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by swintek View Post
    I don't know what it is exactly, but, I just haven't been able to muster any interest in this press at all. Am I missing something? I'm all ears...
    They've had some (small) issues along the way, but I've personally loved the handful of books that I've purchased for them so far (Between Two Angels, The BlackTongue Thief, Ring Shout, & the Atlas of Hell). While not at Centipede or Suntup level, they are always solid production-wise and usually have some interior art too. Their prices are also still pretty fair, especially considering some of the huge increases I've seen recently with other indie presses.

Leave a comment:

• swintek
    replied
    I don't know what it is exactly, but, I just haven't been able to muster any interest in this press at all. Am I missing something? I'm all ears...

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Midworld's latest email is continuing to tempt me with The Atlas of Hell...
    Same. Continuing to resist is getting a bit tiresome...self-flagalation is never a good time. I continue to hope maybe some will hit the secondary, but that market hasn't shown me any love yet.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Midworld's latest email is continuing to tempt me with The Atlas of Hell...

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Just received my LE of Atlas of Hell. Quickly thumbed through it since I am at work, and the production values look fantastic. Really happy that I made this purchase and can't wait to dig into the stories soon.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Glad to hear that The Strange is worth picking-up.  I'm sure that I'll grab a copy eventually.  If I like Atlas/Wounds enough, I'll probably grab one of his other collections first.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

That's great to hear! Between the authors that blurbed this book and the descriptions of the stories themselves, I have high hopes. By chance, have you read "The Strange" yet? I've been close to grabbing it a few times but always end up passing on it for something else. That being said, the burb references to Bradbury & True Grit have me very intrigued. 
    I have not.  It's on my "To Buy" list, but my "To Read" list needs to shrink before I can add more non-limited editions to the pile.  Ron's comments of it being "quite good" makes me want to ignore that rule, but, also based on his comments, I'm more likely to pick up NORTH AMERICAN LAKE MONSTERS (or MONSTERLAND, if one likes that title better) before I grab THE STRANGE.  

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

That's great to hear! Between the authors that blurbed this book and the descriptions of the stories themselves, I have high hopes. By chance, have you read "The Strange" yet? I've been close to grabbing it a few times but always end up passing on it for something else. That being said, the burb references to Bradbury & True Grit have me very intrigued. 
    I've read THE STRANGE, as well as most (all?) of Ballingrud's work, all of which I've enjoyed. I haven't yet picked up THE ATLAS OF HELL, but am hoping to pick up a copy on the secondary at some point...if that opportunitiy doesn't come quickly enough to suit my itchy fingers, I may have to opt for new. I thought THE STRANGE was quite good, though it isn't my favorite of his work...I wouldn't necessarily say that his style and skill is better suited to the short form (THE STRANGE is thus far his only full-length novel), but that was my general reaction upon finishing THE STRANGE (which, again I did enjoy).

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I don't want to  hype it too much, but WOUNDS was one of the most impressive single-author collections I've read in awhile.  The expansiveness of the imagination in the stories really reminded me of early Clive Barker.  The collection just hit my horror sweet spot.  I hope you like it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

I purchased the numbered but have never read anything by this author. It was a pure impulse buy based on the authors reputation and some of the author blurbs his books have gotten.
    I don't want to  hype it too much, but WOUNDS was one of the most impressive single-author collections I've read in awhile.  The expansiveness of the imagination in the stories really reminded me of early Clive Barker.  The collection just hit my horror sweet spot.  I hope you like it.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I don't think I've seen any of their higher tiered books. I would be interested to see a few photos.

I really curious about the lettered ATLAS OF HELL as well.  I am SO tempted as I really love the book, but $700 is steep right now.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    I don't think I've seen any of their higher tiered books. I would be interested to see a few photos.

I purchased the numbered but have never read anything by this author. It was a pure impulse buy based on the authors reputation and some of the author blurbs his books have gotten.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Boggle Champion View Post
    Did anyone order a copy of The Atlas of Hell, numbered or lettered? It should be shipping around now.

I read Wounds last year, and I was really blown away. Really looking forward to seeing the art in this one, and reading the extra stories. I'd love to see what the lettered looks like if anyone sprung for one of those.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    It was a great live stream.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I don't know if any of you saw Travis' interview with Andy Davidson today on FB (I know a number of you wisely avoid that social media cesspool). I watched for about 15 minutes. Travis seems like a good guy and I thought it was an interesting conversation about publishing, vampires, and horror. 

Leave a comment:

Working...
X