Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonClinton
    replied
    I tried to place a reservation with Camelot Books, but Kim indicated that they do not carry Midworld titles, which I thought was puzzling and interesting. I debated about placing an order, but with the issues that seem to often plague his productions and no longer having patience anymore with long pre-order times (with any publisher, not just Midworld), I decided to hold off and gamble that there would still be copies available at release date. I just now checked again, and copies still remain, so it appears I won't have any problem. If the book looks good at release, I have no doubt I'll be picking up a copy.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Staad
    replied
    Congrats. I almost pulled the trigger on this but went in a different direction with my limited $$.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Very happy with the recent Midworld announcement, The Atlas of Hell: Stories by Nathan Ballingrud. I pre-ordered a copy right away, even though my wallet is a bit sore from all the recent book announcements from the small press world. Have been wanting to read this collection for quite a while and am stoked that I will get to do so as an LE. It sounds right up my alley. I also dig that it will have an intro from Christopher Buehlman who is fast becoming a new favorite author for me, especially based on his own recent Midworld offerings.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Very happy with the recent Midworld announcement, The Atlas of Hell: Stories by Nathan Ballingrud. I pre-ordered a copy right away, even though my wallet is a bit sore from all the recent book announcements from the small press world. Have been wanting to read this collection for quite a while and am stoked that I will get to do so as an LE. It sounds right up my alley. I also dig that it will have an intro from Christopher Buehlman who is fast becoming a new favorite author for me, especially based on his own recent Midworld offerings.

Leave a comment:

• Erich
    replied
    Midworld said the Jon Dies books should be shipping out at the end of this week (so starting now), so I wonder how long it'll take. I'm not complaining, just patiently waiting.

Leave a comment:

• ArtemusGordon
    replied
    The printer we used for The Black Company was our go-to but, unfortunately, they were bought out by the printing corporation that we dropped because of the problems we had with them on Ring Shout and The Last Watch. We ordered The Black Company from them just before the buy-out and that was too late.

Many of the independent printers in the U.S. are being bought out by large corporations and sometimes the quality begins to suffer after the buy-out.

We've managed to find another employee-owned printer in Canada and we're hoping they work out.

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Well, The Girl With All the Gifts was up for preorder today. Anybody pull the trigger?
    I'm currently passing. Not that I don't want it, but there has been a ton of books that I want more lately or coming up for pre-order soon. Will potentially consider an aftermarket copy or grabbing it later if still available. Also, while none of the Midworld books that I own are bad productions in anyway, it seems like there has been an issue with every one of them. Most issues are small such as a missing ribbon marker or an image pressing on the cover not done deep enough to truly see, or super white paper being used, etc. Now, in the most recent newsletter, they posted that "We have pulled our other books from the printer that produced The Black Company. Unfortunately, their quality has become so spotty that we can no longer use them. This well affect some of our upcoming publications". This continued issue with their printers doesn't offer much hope to me and they have switched printers already on prior projects; so, it's weird that they have to switch them again. Not totally Midworld's fault, but it also does make me a little hesitant to purchase as I feel like there will be some sort of issue and I will not be getting what I truly paid-for. That being said, I would still purchase from them if it was the right title as I do enjoy the couple of books from them that I own such as Ring Shout & the Buehlman books.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Well, The Girl With All the Gifts was up for preorder today. Anybody pull the trigger?

Leave a comment:

• sholloman81
    replied
    Well, crud. Midworld just mentioned that they will be opening up preorders for M.R. (Mike) Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts soon. I guess they are dead set on getting me to buy one of their books. Frankly, I'm surprised that it's taken this long for the book to get the limited treatment. I figured this would have been right in Sub Press's wheelhouse.
    I'm also surprised that it took this long to get a limited.  I thought for sure someone would do it around the time that the movie came out to try and piggyback.  I wonder if Midworld will do a limited for "The Boy on the Bridge" as well.  Wouldn't mind a matching set!   

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Well, crud. Midworld just mentioned that they will be opening up preorders for M.R. (Mike) Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts soon. I guess they are dead set on getting me to buy one of their books. Frankly, I'm surprised that it's taken this long for the book to get the limited treatment. I figured this would have been right in Sub Press's wheelhouse.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I don't have Facebook so was unable to watch, but my understanding from a tweet I saw, if accurate, is that it's planned for release around November or December of this year. That seems rather ambitious, but we'll see. I'm afraid I have no idea on the pre-order date, but my guess is that price point will be similar to their other releases, around a hundred bucks.
    Thanks, Ron! 

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

i absolutely loved WOUNDS when I read it recently and I’m glad that it’s getting the limited treatment. This looks to be the book that will knock me off the sidelines and actually purchasing a book from Midworld.

i didn’t have any opportunity to watch the whole video. Was there any specifics about preorder date, price point, etc.? The feel I got was that this is pretty early in production.
    I don't have Facebook so was unable to watch, but my understanding from a tweet I saw, if accurate, is that it's planned for release around November or December of this year. That seems rather ambitious, but we'll see. I'm afraid I have no idea on the pre-order date, but my guess is that price point will be similar to their other releases, around a hundred bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Sock Monkey
    replied

Well, I was way off-base. It's WOUNDS, his second collection. Kind of excited about it, actually, as I never did pick that particular book up. Looks like fate has stepped in in the guise of Midworld Press to fix that problem.
    i absolutely loved WOUNDS when I read it recently and I’m glad that it’s getting the limited treatment. This looks to be the book that will knock me off the sidelines and actually purchasing a book from Midworld.

i didn’t have any opportunity to watch the whole video. Was there any specifics about preorder date, price point, etc.? The feel I got was that this is pretty early in production.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied

I've heard a lot of good things about this one and have never read it, so am very tempted...other publishers' releases and a pricetag of $100 is giving me pause, though. Going to have to think about this one.

Also, that upcoming announcement about Nathan Ballingrud -- I'm currently reading his recent first full-length novel, THE STRANGE...I wonder if that's the book they're doing a limited of. Figures that'd happen right after spending $30 for the trade 1st HC...oh well, my copy is a nicely inscribed (to me) copy, will probably just let that suffice for my collection...probably.
    Well, I was way off-base. It's WOUNDS, his second collection. Kind of excited about it, actually, as I never did pick that particular book up. Looks like fate has stepped in in the guise of Midworld Press to fix that problem.

Leave a comment:

• RonClinton
    replied
    Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I thought about Money Run, but in the end, I passed.
    No idea what to expect as I’d never heard of the series nor the author, but the reviews I read make it sound very intriguing, and I wanted to support Paul’s most recent foray into crime(ish)!fiction. I’m usually not nearly this impulsive, but for whatever reason I was this morning. Hope my gamble pays off.

Leave a comment:

• mhatchett
    replied

So I agonize over Davidson’s book, one that’s received a lot of acclaim and I’ve wanted to read for some time, for a week or two and still remain undecided, but then take a quick flyer on the (even more expensive) Thunderstorm offering this morning, THE MONEY RUN, a series of books that I’ve never even heard about but which sounded very interesting.

Sigh, sometimes I frustrate me.
      I thought about Money Run, but in the end, I passed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X