No announcement yet.

Midworld Press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it sounds like Midworld is doing a limited of Daryl Gregory's Revelator. The author's been on radar for what seems like forever, but I've never read anything by him or, frankly, hear him mentioned that often. Anybody read any of his stuff?

Comment

I hadn't heard of him. That doesn't mean much these days as my TBR pile goes back a few decades now. LOL.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
      So it sounds like Midworld is doing a limited of Daryl Gregory's Revelator. The author's been on radar for what seems like forever, but I've never read anything by him or, frankly, hear him mentioned that often. Anybody read any of his stuff?

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Anybody taking advantage of Midworld's Summer Bundle? It's three signed limited editions (IN THE VALLEY OF THE SUN, THE LAST WATCH, and THE PALE BLUE EYE) for $150. I am very tempted.

Comment

Anybody taking advantage of Midworld's Summer Bundle? It's three signed limited editions (IN THE VALLEY OF THE SUN, THE LAST WATCH, and THE PALE BLUE EYE) for $150. I am very tempted.
          Not me. I tried reading IN THE VALLEY OF THE SUN a while back as it seemed like the perfect kind of book for me, and for whatever reason it just didn't click with me...my expectations were probably a bit too high, given its comparisons to Joe Hill and Cormac McCarthy (of which neither comparison is apt). It had its moments, but, I don't know, it just felt a bit flat to me. Again: not a bad book, probably just unmet expectations. No interest in THE LAST WATCH. I love the cover and plot description of THE PALE BLUE EYE, so I definitely get the attraction of that one.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Not me. I tried reading IN THE VALLEY OF THE SUN a while back as it seemed like the perfect kind of book for me, and for whatever reason it just didn't click with me...my expectations were probably a bit too high, given its comparisons to Joe Hill and Cormac McCarthy (of which neither comparison is apt). It had its moments, but, I don't know, it just felt a bit flat to me. Again: not a bad book, probably just unmet expectations. No interest in THE LAST WATCH. I love the cover and plot description of THE PALE BLUE EYE, so I definitely get the attraction of that one.
            I'm choosing to pass as well. I'm tempted, but I am trying to keep FOMO at arm's length and focus on getting stuff that I really want. Still would like to pull the trigger on that Atlas of Hell lettered...

Comment

From the artwork in their latest newsletter, I'm putting forth the guess that Midworld's going to be doing a limited of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep.

Comment

From the artwork in their latest newsletter, I'm putting forth the guess that Midworld's going to be doing a limited of F. Paul Wilson's The Keep.
                That's a great guess based on that art, especially with that version of the cross. I'm hoping that you are incorrect. Love the book and F. Paul Wilson in general; however, I already have this one as a limited from the set that Borderlands put out a while back (The Complete Adversary Cycle by F. Paul Wilson). I guess if you are correct, my wallet will be happy.  

Comment

Maybe. I got more gothic vibes than vampiric, but is certainly is suggestive of a story like THE KEEP. It's been a while since I read it -- was there a character in a wheelchair? Drawing a blank on that.

Comment

Maybe. I got more gothic vibes than vampiric, but is certainly is suggestive of a story like THE KEEP. It's been a while since I read it -- was there a character in a wheelchair? Drawing a blank on that.
                    It’s been a long time since I read it as well, but I seen to remember an elderly possibly Jewish man and his daughter in the old castle with Nazis and a possibly vampiric creature.  I might be off on some (or all!) of that, but that’s what led me to the conclusion about the art.  

Comment

It’s been a long time since I read it as well, but I seen to remember an elderly possibly Jewish man and his daughter in the old castle with Nazis and a possibly vampiric creature. Â I might be off on some (or all!) of that, but that’s what led me to the conclusion about the art. Â
                      You're probably right...my memory on books read decades ago isn't very reliable. I'd like to think that it is -- it's a work that deserves limited treatment, and aside from being one of volumes in the Borderlands set (and, man, Monteleone didn't do himself any favors with people on that recent mass-distribution of his Substack post), it hasn't seen that kind of treatment, not as a solo edition. I have a signed 1st HC of it, but might consider a limited of it, especially if there was additional content of some sort.

Comment

You're probably right...my memory on books read decades ago isn't very reliable. I'd like to think that it is -- it's a work that deserves limited treatment, and aside from being one of volumes in the Borderlands set (and, man, Monteleone didn't do himself any favors with people on that recent mass-distribution of his Substack post), it hasn't seen that kind of treatment, not as a solo edition. I have a signed 1st HC of it, but might consider a limited of it, especially if there was additional content of some sort.
                        I received three emails from Monteleone. I only check email about once a day, so I read them in reverse order and was puzzled. I stopped all communication with Monteleone at least 15 years ago so my only awareness of his implosion came from this forum, and I believe it was discussed on Jeff Terry's Youtube live. Monteleone pretty much laid it out in the emails and made the point of people who were upset. I was certain I would not have subscribed to his Substack so I logged in and confirmed that I am not subscribed. When I had my issues with him, he was a total ass and it appears he is also a liar, Substack did not send me those emails.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I received three emails from Monteleone. I only check email about once a day, so I read them in reverse order and was puzzled. I stopped all communication with Monteleone at least 15 years ago so my only awareness of his implosion came from this forum, and I believe it was discussed on Jeff Terry's Youtube live. Monteleone pretty much laid it out in the emails and made the point of people who were upset. I was certain I would not have subscribed to his Substack so I logged in and confirmed that I am not subscribed. When I had my issues with him, he was a total ass and it appears he is also a liar, Substack did not send me those emails.
                          I have no involvement or subscriptions to any Substack contributor, so his claim that my email didn’t come from his Borderlands customer list is, at best, suspect.

Comment

I received the Monteleone emails as well and had assumed that it came from Substack because I subscribe to Keene's newsletter (either his or his store, Vortex Books, uses Substack, I believe), so I assumed it was sent as a "if you like that one, you might like this one" type of thing.  Although, it seems that Monteleone and Keene are on quite different ends of the spectrum politically.  Since Ron is saying that he has no connection to Substack, then I'd say that Monteleone's comments about not knowing how those who received the email did, in fact, receive the email does seems iffy.

Comment

I actually had some serious doubts (and am still not 100% sold on my guess) after your post inquiring if there was a person in a wheelchair in the book.  I mean, I am, after all, the guy who recently guessed that a new Suntup book was going to be a book that they had already published, so...

Comment

I actually had some serious doubts (and am still not 100% sold on my guess) after your post inquiring if there was a person in a wheelchair in the book. I mean, I am, after all, the guy who recently guessed that a new Suntup book was going to be a book that they had already published, so...
                                Looks like you're correct...from a review I found:

"When a group of Nazi soldiers occupies an isolated keep deep in the Transylvanian Alps, they awaken something out for their blood, at a determined pace of one death per night. Terrified, they ask for help; alas, the elite reinforcements prove ineffective. Desperate, they end up reaching out to an expert on local legends, a wheelchair-bound intellectual who happens to be Jewish. But even the scholar and his daughter don’t suspect the repercussions of what has been unleashed in the keep…" Notice there's even a young woman (that aforementioned daughter...?) pushing the wheelchair in MidWorld's art.
                                Last edited by RonClinton; 07-30-2024, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X