No announcement yet.

Midworld Press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats. I almost pulled the trigger on this but went in a different direction with my limited $$.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Very happy with the recent Midworld announcement, The Atlas of Hell: Stories by Nathan Ballingrud. I pre-ordered a copy right away, even though my wallet is a bit sore from all the recent book announcements from the small press world. Have been wanting to read this collection for quite a while and am stoked that I will get to do so as an LE. It sounds right up my alley. I also dig that it will have an intro from Christopher Buehlman who is fast becoming a new favorite author for me, especially based on his own recent Midworld offerings.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I tried to place a reservation with Camelot Books, but Kim indicated that they do not carry Midworld titles, which I thought was puzzling and interesting. I debated about placing an order, but with the issues that seem to often plague his productions and no longer having patience anymore with long pre-order times (with any publisher, not just Midworld), I decided to hold off and gamble that there would still be copies available at release date. I just now checked again, and copies still remain, so it appears I won't have any problem. If the book looks good at release, I have no doubt I'll be picking up a copy.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        I tried to place a reservation with Camelot Books, but Kim indicated that they do not carry Midworld titles, which I thought was puzzling and interesting. I debated about placing an order, but with the issues that seem to often plague his productions and no longer having patience anymore with long pre-order times (with any publisher, not just Midworld), I decided to hold off and gamble that there would still be copies available at release date. I just now checked again, and copies still remain, so it appears I won't have any problem. If the book looks good at release, I have no doubt I'll be picking up a copy.
         Interesting. I also popped over there looking for a copy. I wonder why they don't carry Midworld?
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a few guesses but I sure wish they would. I can't do the long pre-order thing, with cash up front, these days unless I am 100% into the production and the publisher.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

Â Interesting. I also popped over there looking for a copy. I wonder why they don't carry Midworld?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
            I have a few guesses but I sure wish they would. I can't do the long pre-order thing, with cash up front, these days unless I am 100% into the production and the publisher.

I have a few guesses as well -- the most innocuous of which is Midworld may simply offer a publisher's trade discount so small that it just doesn't make it worth Camelot's time -- but it'd just be all speculation...Kim didn't offer context when she said that, and I didn't ask.

Comment

Anyone getting in books from these folks? I've been tempted by a few announcements but just hadn't pulled the trigger on anything. I have Those Across the River but nothing else.

Comment

Anyone getting in books from these folks? I've been tempted by a few announcements but just hadn't pulled the trigger on anything. I have Those Across the River but nothing else.
                I've made a handful of purchases from them so far. I've enjoyed everything that I have received from them, but if I am honest, a lot of their titles, especially the early ones, had small issues such as missing the cloth bookmark or image pressing on the front covers not being deep enough to be easily seen. That being said, the newer items I have received from them, such as the Black Tongue Thief have been fantastic and give me confidence to keep making purchases when I see something interesting to me.

Comment

I only got one title from them. It's nicely done BUT a bit overpriced. John Dies at the End was $100 and the quality is very similar to an SST title (just say Inspection, for example) that costs about $60 delivered from the UK. SO I have no complaints about quality, but I think there should be more art or a slipcase for the price.

If you want a look, here's my video on it. You can skip to 3:07 to avoid some blather.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post

I only got one title from them. It's nicely done BUT a bit overpriced. John Dies at the End was $100 and the quality is very similar to an SST title (just say Inspection, for example) that costs about $60 delivered from the UK. SO I have no complaints about quality, but I think there should be more art or a slipcase for the price.

If you want a look, here's my video on it. You can skip to 3:07 to avoid some blather.
                      Pretty much my exact thoughts on JDATE, which is also the only book I've purchased from them.

That said, if they do the sequels, I'll be ordering ASAP.

Comment

I have two of their titles coming from Sub Press that I'll be unboxing later this week. I like the titles I already own from them, despite the mistakes/errors.

The stamping on Ring Shout doesn't bother me and I'm not losing any sleep over the missing ribbon marker in The Black Company.

The only thing that was problematic for me was the font choice in Blacktop Wasteland, as it can cause headaches when reading it. But I eventually got used to the font and made it through.

One error that I hadn't even noticed until it was pointed out was that they spelled Korrok incorrectly on the back of John Dies at the End. It's been years since I'd read the title though.

Comment

I forgot that I bought Blacktop Wasteland. I hate that edition. I think that can just be the mulligan for Travis.

Originally posted by Splync View Post
                          I have two of their titles coming from Sub Press that I'll be unboxing later this week. I like the titles I already own from them, despite the mistakes/errors.

The stamping on Ring Shout doesn't bother me and I'm not losing any sleep over the missing ribbon marker in The Black Company.

The only thing that was problematic for me was the font choice in Blacktop Wasteland, as it can cause headaches when reading it. But I eventually got used to the font and made it through.

One error that I hadn't even noticed until it was pointed out was that they spelled Korrok incorrectly on the back of John Dies at the End. It's been years since I'd read the title though.

Comment

The font in BLACKTOP WASTLELAND was horrendous, and after I struggled though it I promptly sold it at a 50% loss. It's made me wary for other Midworld titles, compounded by the various smaller issues listed above, though I have been lured several times by THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER, even with the politically-correct/sensitive changes made by the author for this edition, which felt to me again -- unfairly or not -- like another slight against the publisher. I'll almost certainly and finally dip my toe back in Midworld waters with Nathan Ballingrud's new edition of WOUNDS aka THE ATLAS OF HELL.

Comment

I don't know if any of you saw Travis' interview with Andy Davidson today on FB (I know a number of you wisely avoid that social media cesspool). I watched for about 15 minutes. Travis seems like a good guy and I thought it was an interesting conversation about publishing, vampires, and horror. 

Comment

Did anyone order a copy of The Atlas of Hell, numbered or lettered? It should be shipping around now.

I read Wounds last year, and I was really blown away. Really looking forward to seeing the art in this one, and reading the extra stories. I'd love to see what the lettered looks like if anyone sprung for one of those.

Comment

Working...
                                X