Midworld Press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midworld Press...

Looks like there’s a new player on the small-press scene, or at least one I hadn’t heard of before: Midworld Press. They have a signed/limited reprint HC upcoming of a book that I’ve previously heard good things about, Christopher Buehlman’s THOSE ACROSS THE RIVER.

https://www.midworldpress.com/store/...ross-the-river

Looks quite nice and I would consider a copy, but a 500-copy limitation and a $90 price tag seems to me to be way too high on both counts for this title (and another scheduled for $85 by an author I’ve not heard of). I wish them success as their product appears to be of good quality, based on their site pics, but those price and limitation numbers seem on the face to be questionable choices for a new startup press in this day and age.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 04-09-2021, 02:29 PM.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

I may bookmark them as I like the artwork and artist for the Buelman book. My issue is the price-point, new press (to me at least), and unknown author(s).
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Ron. If y"all haven't read this book, I would recommend it. I went ahead and ordered a copy. I also took a chance on Bitter Seeds https://www.amazon.com/Bitter-Seeds-.../dp/0765361205 it looked interesting.
      Last edited by mhatchett; 04-09-2021, 12:50 PM.

Comment

They were gauging interest in the JDATE series a couple of months ago. CD doesn't seem to have any plans to do the second and third book, so I'd love to see Midworld publish them.

Comment

I see a name I recognize as winning a copy of one of their books. I will reach out to him and see if he has any thoughts on the press.

Comment

I saw they're doing an edition of Blacktop Wasteland. I don't recall how, but I've come across this book and heard good things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
              I saw they're doing an edition of Blacktop Wasteland. I don't recall how, but I've come across this book and heard good things about it.
              Really? Hm, well, maybe I will have a copy of one of their books on my shelf, after all...I’ve been meaning to read that one since its release last year.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

For what it is worth I saw a few photos on an FB group of the Bitter Seed book and the book looks well done. There were only a few photos so couldn't see much but it looked similar to what I see from CD. That being said, for me personally, I would pass on the book due strictly due to the price point.

Not trying to poop on anyone here or the publisher at all I just need to watch my spending a bit more closely these days.

Comment

I would like to also add that I would buy one of their books, at that price point, if it was a book I really wanted. However I haven't read the current book or the one up for pre-order. Those Across the River sounds like something right up my alley but don't really know.

Comment

I placed my first order with them. Looking forward to checking out their stuff!
                    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Nice and congrats! Glad not to be the last poster on this one.

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                      I placed my first order with them. Looking forward to checking out their stuff!

Comment

I've liked everything I've read so far by Gemma Files (short story-wise) and I've read a lot of good things about Experimental Film, so I took the plunge on that one.

The Buelhman book sounds interesting, so if I like EF, I will probably give one that a shot also.

Bitter Seeds sounds like it's too much magical-fantasy for my taste.

Plus, it's the first of a trilogy, so if I get the first one, I will feel the need to get the other two.

B

Comment

Anyone order and receive anything from them yet? Just curious for some additional input on production quality.

Comment

We've had some other people mention that they would prefer smaller print runs. It was mentioned that it might make the books sell faster and possibly make them worth more on the secondary market. We'd be interested in getting any thoughts on the subject.

Comment

I don't think a smaller print run would help with sales. You are already at a pretty limited run at 300-500 copies and I can't imagine it makes business sense to go lower than that.

The secondary market is a mystery to me. I try really hard to only buy books that I know I love or from authors that I typically love. In regards to Those Across the River I bought this specifically for the cover art and hope I like the story. There are plenty of books on the secondary market, at or below retail, which I love and plenty of books above retail which I could care less about.

In regards to increased sales, in the small press world, it is all about buzz. Author name, artwork, production value, and upcoming releases all factor in to creating interest and maintaining it. How to get there is beyond me.

I do know, when I flirted with starting a press, that a number of publishers were very open, honest, and generous with their time when I reached out to them for some information.

Not sure if any of that helps but I do wish you the best.

Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by ArtemusGordon View Post
                              We've had some other people mention that they would prefer smaller print runs. It was mentioned that it might make the books sell faster and possibly make them worth more on the secondary market. We'd be interested in getting any thoughts on the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X