Midworld Press...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    A few weeks ago, I placed my first order - Ring Shout from P. Djeli Clark.

Not sure where I first heard about this author (I know I have a free eBook of his - perhaps from Tor's monthly free ebook email . . .) and I remember coming across a new/used paperback of this book but I didn't buy it. AND while cataloging our book collection, I realized my wife has one of his books (Black God's Drums - it's still amazing to me when our book collections cross paths ...)

Looking forward to having a nice signed edition from yet another author I've never read. But mean to.
    I loved Ring Shout and could easily argue it as my favorite read of 2021. Prior to giving it a try, I had never read or heard anything about the author. Decided to give it a go as the description sounded really interesting and the length wasn't too long. Very glad I took the chance and hope you will be too. Once you read Ring Shout, if you like it, then you should definitely give his novel "A Master of Djinn" a try as well.

Comment

Was Ring Shout a fairly straight forward read or was it filled with social-political stuff?

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

I loved Ring Shout and could easily argue it as my favorite read of 2021. Prior to giving it a try, I had never read or heard anything about the author. Decided to give it a go as the description sounded really interesting and the length wasn't too long. Very glad I took the chance and hope you will be too. Once you read Ring Shout, if you like it, then you should definitely give his novel "A Master of Djinn" a try as well.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
        Was Ring Shout a fairly straight forward read or was it filled with social-political stuff?

Before reading the book, I too was a bit worried that it would be overfilled with the social-political stuff; however, it was a fairly straight forward read in my opinion. Obviously, with these characters and with the setting, there are some discussions on race and inferences to the challenges of being Black at that time; however, it is never heavy-handed and is often laugh out loud funny in places as well as having a very strong Lovecraft element mixed with black-folklore.

Comment

FYI. I don't think Blacktop is shipping yet. I had ordered a book from another publisher and Blacktop Wasteland at the same time. The shipping notice showed both books but only received the other publishers book. Looking back at the last update for BW it looks like he is looking to receive these late this month and ship early April.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
          Huh. I didn’t receive that shipping e-mail today…maybe I’ll see it tomorrow, if he’s shipping in stages.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Makes it tempting again.

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

Before reading the book, I too was a bit worried that it would be overfilled with the social-political stuff; however, it was a fairly straight forward read in my opinion. Obviously, with these characters and with the setting, there are some discussions on race and inferences to the challenges of being Black at that time; however, it is never heavy-handed and is often laugh out loud funny in places as well as having a very strong Lovecraft element mixed with black-folklore.

Comment

FYI. I don't think Blacktop is shipping yet. I had ordered a book from another publisher and Blacktop Wasteland at the same time. The shipping notice showed both books but only received the other publishers book. Looking back at the last update for BW it looks like he is looking to receive these late this month and ship early April.

Ah, okay, good to know — thanks.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Newsletter Update from Midworld Press on Black Top Wasteland:

Blacktop Wasteland
                We received word from the printer that the books are boxed up and ready to be loaded on a truck bound for MidWorld. Once we receive them, we’ll do some quality inspections; if all looks good, we’ll begin shipping them out mid or late next week.

Comment

Newsletter Update from Midworld Press on Black Top Wasteland:

Blacktop Wasteland
                  We received word from the printer that the books are boxed up and ready to be loaded on a truck bound for MidWorld. Once we receive them, we’ll do some quality inspections; if all looks good, we’ll begin shipping them out mid or late next week.
                  Exciting to know that by the end of April I’ll have both BLACKTOP WASTELAND and Hill’s STRANGE WEATHER in hand.

Comment

Received Blacktop Wasteland today and will view it a little closer later today. Not a fan of the DJ art but I knew that going into it.

Comment

Received Blacktop Wasteland today and will view it a little closer later today. Not a fan of the DJ art but I knew that going into it.
                      The DJ art is the reason I didn't pick up the book. No offense to the artist, but it's just not my taste in art. With quantity of books coming out now and how just how expensive they are, I have become more and more selective in my purchases. I've heard good things about the book so I'll probably track down a paperback at some point.

I'd love to hear your thoughts as to the overall production values of the book as I've to buy anything from Midworld.

Comment

I checked out the artist's site and his art isn't bad at all. Hell, even the interior illustrations are improvements over that dust jacket. But that dust jacket...

Comment

Originally posted by Splync View Post

I checked out the artist's site and his art isn't bad at all. Hell, even the interior illustrations are improvements over that dust jacket. But that dust jacket...
                          I wish they’d used the art on the back of the jacket on the front, and put the front on the back:
                          https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...qfN7tXtZl0kMXw

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I wish they’d used the art on the back of the jacket on the front, and put the front on the back:
                            https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...qfN7tXtZl0kMXw
                            I agree. I like the back cover art you posted a lot better.

Comment

I don't really collect ARC's but thought I would share this here if anyone is interested.

From today's newsletter:

The Library At Mount Char ARC
                              We had some ARCs / mock-ups of The Library At Mount Char printed up. If anyone is interested, we are giving two of them away. Send us an email with the subject line “TLAMC ARC” and next week we’ll choose two folks at random to each receive one.

Comment

I cracked open my copy of BLACKTOP WASTELAND tonight to start reading, and immediately discovered an issue (for me) with the font used. Stylized, bold, and narrow, it’s almost unreadable and creates strain on my middle/aged eyes. I’m only a few pages in and my eyes are already tired. Kinda disappointing and certainly surprising…I may have to save this for the shelf and grab a used tpb to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X