Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauntlet Press (with and w/out Borderlands partnership)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just received my LE copy of Ray Garton's "Bestial". Am pretty disappointed. When I gave it a quick flip-through, something immediately caught my eye that proves this book was not checked before shipping. It is missing the promised introduction by Ray Garton. In fact, when you open the book and flip the first page, it has the copyright page on the left and immediately launches into the story on the right. No blank page in between like most books, and definitely no intro. This LE was already pretty bare bones; so, not having that new intro really sucks. I also checked their website, and it still has the intro listed as a feature of the book. Also was no mention of the issue in any of their previous newsletters. I did email them and ask for some clarification on this issue, and it not being communicated beforehand, but I can't imagine that there's anything they can do at this point. Gauntlet has had a lot of issues in their past, but I have stuck by them because they find a way to secure contracts for books that I really want, and it felt like their last few releases have been issue-free and that maybe they were turning a corner. This feels like a huge step backward and has me feeling very negative about potential future orders.

Ok, just received an update from Gauntlet.  Apparently, Garton wasn't able to provide the new introduction due to health reasons and Gauntlet didn't want to delay the title further having already done so before due to printer issues.  I completely understand and have no issue with that decision; however, if that was going to be the case, why weren't customers notified beforehand?  Obviously, Gauntlet was aware of the issue throughout the printing process.  They have sent a pretty consistent newsletter and this issue was never mentioned.  The order page has also never been updated to remove that promised intro or to provide the Garton health update.  If the issue would have been communicated up front, I wouldn't have minded at all, especially for the health reason, but by them choosing to remain silent, it feels deceptive to me, like perhaps they were trying to avoid upfront cancellations and figure people wouldn't go through the hassle of a return on the backend.  I'm still debating a return on this book, but since it is book two of a three book series, I'm not sure if I will follow through or not.   Will definitely give me pause on futures orders once I close out this & the Blake Crouch series they are doing.

Comment

That's a bummer. I'm of the mind that any substantive change of previously announced contents or materials used, etc., should be communicated to the buyer in advance of delivery. Stuff happens that derails the best plans, but in 99% of cases, communication would resolve most ill will.

Comment

Ok, just received an update from Gauntlet.  Apparently, Garton wasn't able to provide the new introduction due to health reasons and Gauntlet didn't want to delay the title further having already done so before due to printer issues.  I completely understand and have no issue with that decision; however, if that was going to be the case, why weren't customers notified beforehand?  Obviously, Gauntlet was aware of the issue throughout the printing process.  They have sent a pretty consistent newsletter and this issue was never mentioned.  The order page has also never been updated to remove that promised intro or to provide the Garton health update.  If the issue would have been communicated up front, I wouldn't have minded at all, especially for the health reason, but by them choosing to remain silent, it feels deceptive to me, like perhaps they were trying to avoid upfront cancellations and figure people wouldn't go through the hassle of a return on the backend.  I'm still debating a return on this book, but since it is book two of a three book series, I'm not sure if I will follow through or not.   Will definitely give me pause on futures orders once I close out this & the Blake Crouch series they are doing.
        That's exactly the same scam they pulled on me with a Matheson Lettered edition. I would have definitely canceled my order if I'd known up front that all the promised extras were no longer being included. I'm done with Gauntlet.

Comment

Book 2 of a 3 book series? I was only aware of Ravenous and Bestial. What is the third title?

Comment

Originally posted by joejets View Post
            Book 2 of a 3 book series? I was only aware of Ravenous and Bestial. What is the third title?
            You are correct.  For some reason I thought there was a third book or that one was going to be written, but I cannot find that info anywhere; so, it must've been my imagination!

Comment

I hope Ray is doing OK. We used to e-mail each other occasionally, but fell out of touch. I'll have to see if I still have his e-mail address and check in on him.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You are correct. For some reason I thought there was a third book or that one was going to be written, but I cannot find that info anywhere; so, it must've been my imagination!
                I think Ray has occasionally mentioned a passing interest in a third book in the setting - or even a crossover with the Live Girls stories - but nothing has ever been officially planned.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

I think Ray has occasionally mentioned a passing interest in a third book in the setting - or even a crossover with the Live Girls stories - but nothing has ever been officially planned.
                  I really hope that he calls the potential crossover novel "Ray Garton's Twilight"!

Comment

Just received my copy of Crouch's "The Last Town". Was not expecting it since I never received a shipping notice; however, that seems to be standard practice for these Gauntlet/Borderlands collabs. I knew this before ordering; so, I can't complain too much, but man are these books about the plainest-jane limited editions that you could ever hope to own. Basic clip art for the cover (and on the low end when it comes to clip art), no better production values inside than a trade, etc. From what I can tell, about the only real difference is the signature page, and even that is not especially nice or unique. I probably wouldn't have opted for this set if I already owned the trade editions. That being said, I am glad to finally have this book in-hand if only to complete the story/trilogy, as these Gauntlet editions have been my first time reading the Wayward Pines books. If someone hadn't done an LE, I may have never heard of the series; so, I can't take that away from Gauntlet, but in all honesty, if someone else ever does a limited version of these books, I would get rid of this set lickety-split. Have one last pre-order with Gauntlet, and I imagine that will be my last order with them as the production values, at least for LE books, don't seem to be any better than a mass published trade edition, and sadly, in some cases may be even worse.

Comment

Just received my copy of Crouch's "The Last Town". Was not expecting it since I never received a shipping notice; however, that seems to be standard practice for these Gauntlet/Borderlands collabs. I knew this before ordering; so, I can't complain too much, but man are these books about the plainest-jane limited editions that you could ever hope to own. Basic clip art for the cover (and on the low end when it comes to clip art), no better production values inside than a trade, etc. From what I can tell, about the only real difference is the signature page, and even that is not especially nice or unique. I probably wouldn't have opted for this set if I already owned the trade editions. That being said, I am glad to finally have this book in-hand if only to complete the story/trilogy, as these Gauntlet editions have been my first time reading the Wayward Pines books. If someone hadn't done an LE, I may have never heard of the series; so, I can't take that away from Gauntlet, but in all honesty, if someone else ever does a limited version of these books, I would get rid of this set lickety-split. Have one last pre-order with Gauntlet, and I imagine that will be my last order with them as the production values, at least for LE books, don't seem to be any better than a mass published trade edition, and sadly, in some cases may be even worse.
                      Your post sums up why I stay away from Gauntlet. The clip art for the dustjackets absolutely kill it for me and nothing else about the editions seem to rise it above that level. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan, so I'm still tracking down aftermarket copies of their lettered editions of his work and even those are rather plain. I wish Gauntlet no ill will, just what they do is not my cup of tea. It's a bummer because I would have jumped on the Pines set if it was from someone else.

Comment

Yikes. I remember seeing these when they went on sale and I thought that the art shared couldn't be the actual cover.

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Your post sums up why I stay away from Gauntlet. The clip art for the dustjackets absolutely kill it for me and nothing else about the editions seem to rise it above that level. I'm a big Richard Matheson fan, so I'm still tracking down aftermarket copies of their lettered editions of his work and even those are rather plain. I wish Gauntlet no ill will, just what they do is not my cup of tea. It's a bummer because I would have jumped on the Pines set if it was from someone else.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post

I once bought both the limited and lettered copies of a Matheson book from Gauntlet. The only difference between the two was that one had a number and one had a letter. Total waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                          X