Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauntlet Press (with and w/out Borderlands partnership)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauntlet Press (with and w/out Borderlands partnership)...

Barry over at Gauntlet just announced his 2021 schedule, and there are some pretty interesting items, including -- FINALLY!!! -- a limited-edition package of the THE PINES trilogy by Blake Crouch. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, as their (and Borderlands) last few years' of books have not been particularly satisfying on a visual, collectible level, but I am certainly looking forward to hearing and seeing more about it. That DRACULAS anthology is another intriguing offering...I read the trade a loonnng time ago, and remember liking it, so an expanded version is of interest.

But it's that PINES trilogy -- a set I've been hoping to see from some publisher for years -- that has me smiling this morning.

------------------------

As promised, here is our 2021 schedule. We will have webpages, with complete information, before the end of the month and will begin taking preorders January 1st, 2021.

(1) From the Inner Mind To…The Outer Limits Scripts of Joseph Stefano

First up is Joseph Stefano’s scripts from the classic ABC television anthology series The Outer Limits. For the first time ever, the Stefano family has authorized a limited edition publication entitled From the Inner Mind To…The Outer Limits Scripts of Joseph Stefano. Edited by Dave Rash, the book will feature six classic and two fully scripted but never produced episodes all written by the master himself. The lettered edition will be signed by David McCallum and Ed Asner, among others.

(2) Ravenous by Ray Garton. This is Garton's werewolf classic. We’ll also be publishing the sequel, Bestial, in 2022. The lettered edition will be signed by Richard Chizmar.

(3) Signalz by F. Paul Wilson. In this title Wilson revisits his Adversarial series. There will be bonus material in the lettered edition.

(4) Nightmares: An Anthology, in conjunction with Borderlands Press. Sandra Becerril, the most renowned horror writer out of Mexico, brings together for the first time three Hollywood masters and legends of the genre. "Four horror stories that will take your sleep away by soaking you in their nightmares." Stories featuring dark tales about nightmares by Becerril, Mick Garris, Lawrence C. Connolly and R.C. Matheson. John Skipp will write an Afterword and sign the lettered edition.

(5) Pines by Blake Crouch. We'll be publishing, in conjunction with Borderlands Press, Crouch's "Wayward Pines" trilogy, starting off with PINES.

(6) Draculas: An Anthology of Stories by F. Paul Wilson, Blake Crouch, Joe Konrath and Jeff Strand, also in conjunction with Borderlands Press. These four well-known horror authors pool their penchants for scares and thrills, and tackle one of the greatest of all legends, with each writer creating a unique character and following them through a vampire outbreak in a secluded hospital. Both editions will contain a large amount of bonus material.

We’ll have full details and pricing on each of these titles later this month on their webpages.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Total bummer that Gauntlet is doing it. I will for sure pass on it.

Comment

Yep Pines and Draculas.both look great. I loved Draculas it was a great time to say the least. Like you I wonder about the quality especially with all the issues and hat Boarderlands has had with the little book series. Nothing would be worse then a trilogy full of errors. I’m also interested in Ravenous. I didn’t care as much for the sequel but really liked Ravenous.

Comment

I'm curious to see how some of these turn out. Their previous collaborations with Borderlands have been pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
          Yep Pines and Draculas.both look great. I loved Draculas it was a great time to say the least. Like you I wonder about the quality especially with all the issues and hat Boarderlands has had with the little book series. Nothing would be worse then a trilogy full of errors. I’m also interested in Ravenous. I didn’t care as much for the sequel but really liked Ravenous.
          Fortunately, it's not being offered as a complete set, apparently, so the first volume, PINES, will be the barometer as to whether or not I continue the trilogy set.
          Last edited by RonClinton; 12-02-2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

On the one hand, Garton's werewolf books are getting the LE treatment. On the other hand, Ron covered the (recent, at least) issues with Gauntlet.

Comment

The Pines books have me intrigued.

Comment

This is the first lineup from Gauntlet that I’ve been excited about in a while. That being said, I am concerned about quality issues with the Borderlands partnership. I’m still on the fence about the Straub set as I’m a pretty big fan, but all the issues with the Little Books.

The Crouch books might be the ones to knock me down off the fence.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in the Garton title as I've enjoyed everything that I've read by him and somehow missed this one. Wish CD was still publishing his stuff! Also interested in the F. Paul Wilson title. I enjoyed his Adversary cycle and am interested to see how this one is shoehorned into it. On a side note, I literally just realized that I haven't read Crouch's "Pines". For the longest time, when people mentioned this book title, I assumed that they were speaking about Robert Dunbar's "The Pines" and the trilogy of books it contains. Crouch's series being a trilogy also helped to confuse me. After doing some poking around online, Crouch's "Pines" definitely has me interested. My only worry is that I have read nothing by this author previously and am not sure what to expect. I also noticed that it has an associated tv show and am hoping that the show hasn't colored the acclaim for the book. If anyone has read Crouch's "Pines" as well as the rest of the trilogy, I would love to hear your opinion on the trilogy and/or Crouch's writing in general.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                    I'm definitely interested in the Garton title as I've enjoyed everything that I've read by him and somehow missed this one. Wish CD was still publishing his stuff! Also interested in the F. Paul Wilson title. I enjoyed his Adversary cycle and am interested to see how this one is shoehorned into it. On a side note, I literally just realized that I haven't read Crouch's "Pines". For the longest time, when people mentioned this book title, I assumed that they were speaking about Robert Dunbar's "The Pines" and the trilogy of books it contains. Crouch's series being a trilogy also helped to confuse me. After doing some poking around online, Crouch's "Pines" definitely has me interested. My only worry is that I have read nothing by this author previously and am not sure what to expect. I also noticed that it has an associated tv show and am hoping that the show hasn't colored the acclaim for the book. If anyone has read Crouch's "Pines" as well as the rest of the trilogy, I would love to hear your opinion on the trilogy and/or Crouch's writing in general.
                    I have read the Pines trilogy and loved them. Other than those I have only read a few short stories from Mr. Crouch. I have liked everything I've read. I will be reading more of his work in the future. I am about half way into the tv show based on the novels. The show is relatively true to the story and is good but the books are better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      This is the first lineup from Gauntlet that I’ve been excited about in a while. That being said, I am concerned about quality issues with the Borderlands partnership. I’m still on the fence about the Straub set as I’m a pretty big fan, but all the issues with the Little Books.

The Crouch books might be the ones to knock me down off the fence.
                      Agreed.

This is the best lineup from Gauntlet in several years, since they did the Barker books at least.

Definitely interested in anything by Wilson & Garton, and the Pines trilogy has me intrigued. Never read the books, but I need to rectify that soon.

Heard so many good things about this series.

B

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
                        On a side note, I literally just realized that I haven't read Crouch's "Pines". For the longest time, when people mentioned this book title, I assumed that they were speaking about Robert Dunbar's "The Pines" and the trilogy of books it contains. Crouch's series being a trilogy also helped to confuse me. After doing some poking around online, Crouch's "Pines" definitely has me interested. My only worry is that I have read nothing by this author previously and am not sure what to expect. I also noticed that it has an associated tv show and am hoping that the show hasn't colored the acclaim for the book. If anyone has read Crouch's "Pines" as well as the rest of the trilogy, I would love to hear your opinion on the trilogy and/or Crouch's writing in general.
                        I've read the entire PINES trilogy, as well as a six or eight of his other novels and two short-story collections. His work is compulsively readable...he has a way of sustaining tension and narrative thrust and immersing the reader in the drama that's rather remarkable. I also watched the TV series, but aside from some decent acting, the script was largely a letdown and had little of the Crouch magic dust on it. It wasn't a rating bonanza, as I recall, so I doubt it's bolstered acclaim for the books, but fortunately the books are strong enough to stand on their own and withstand the generally failed attempt to film them. I'm very excited at the prospect of the trilogy, and while I do have concerns about how the final product will appear, my desire for a signed/limited of this terrific trilogy is so strong and has been in place for so long that I'm willing just to gamble for the first volume, and hope that what I see reassures me to order the second and third volumes.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

I've read the entire PINES trilogy, as well as a six or eight of his other novels and two short-story collections. His work is compulsively readable...he has a way of sustaining tension and narrative thrust and immersing the reader in the drama that's rather remarkable. I also watched the TV series, but aside from some decent acting, the script was largely a letdown and had little of the Crouch magic dust on it. It wasn't a rating bonanza, as I recall, so I doubt it's bolstered acclaim for the books, but fortunately the books are strong enough to stand on their own and withstand the generally failed attempt to film them. I'm very excited at the prospect of the trilogy, and while I do have concerns about how the final product will appear, my desire for a signed/limited of this terrific trilogy is so strong and has been in place for so long that I'm willing just to gamble for the first volume, and hope that what I see reassures me to order the second and third volumes.

Hope that helps.
                          I'm in on the Pines Trilogy for sure. Other than the Bradbury/Matheson titles, I haven't been a huge Fan of Gauntlet and the last set I bought was a big disappointment, The Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms, just not well done. I kept it, but I should have sent it back.....So fingers crossed.

Comment

I'd like to support Gauntlet, but I've been disappointed with everything I've ordered over the past few years. I think the last books I was happy with were the Repairman Jack series, which were what I'd expect for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post

I'm in on the Pines Trilogy for sure. Other than the Bradbury/Matheson titles, I haven't been a huge Fan of Gauntlet and the last set I bought was a big disappointment, The Beardless Warriors/Brothers in Arms, just not well done. I kept it, but I should have sent it back.....So fingers crossed.
                              Interestingly enough, that limited set is the only book(s) I’ve ever sent back for a refund in 30-plus years of collecting in the small-press. As a huge Matheson fan, it killed me to do so, but that set was so poorly done, so stunningly bad, that I had no choice (and ultimately no regrets).

Comment

Working...
                              X