Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauntlet Press (with and w/out Borderlands partnership)...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Just received my LE copy of Ray Garton's "Bestial". Am pretty disappointed. When I gave it a quick flip-through, something immediately caught my eye that proves this book was not checked before shipping. It is missing the promised introduction by Ray Garton. In fact, when you open the book and flip the first page, it has the copyright page on the left and immediately launches into the story on the right. No blank page in between like most books, and definitely no intro. This LE was already pretty bare bones; so, not having that new intro really sucks. I also checked their website, and it still has the intro listed as a feature of the book. Also was no mention of the issue in any of their previous newsletters. I did email them and ask for some clarification on this issue, and it not being communicated beforehand, but I can't imagine that there's anything they can do at this point. Gauntlet has had a lot of issues in their past, but I have stuck by them because they find a way to secure contracts for books that I really want, and it felt like their last few releases have been issue-free and that maybe they were turning a corner. This feels like a huge step backward and has me feeling very negative about potential future orders.

    Ok, just received an update from Gauntlet.  Apparently, Garton wasn't able to provide the new introduction due to health reasons and Gauntlet didn't want to delay the title further having already done so before due to printer issues.  I completely understand and have no issue with that decision; however, if that was going to be the case, why weren't customers notified beforehand?  Obviously, Gauntlet was aware of the issue throughout the printing process.  They have sent a pretty consistent newsletter and this issue was never mentioned.  The order page has also never been updated to remove that promised intro or to provide the Garton health update.  If the issue would have been communicated up front, I wouldn't have minded at all, especially for the health reason, but by them choosing to remain silent, it feels deceptive to me, like perhaps they were trying to avoid upfront cancellations and figure people wouldn't go through the hassle of a return on the backend.  I'm still debating a return on this book, but since it is book two of a three book series, I'm not sure if I will follow through or not.   Will definitely give me pause on futures orders once I close out this & the Blake Crouch series they are doing.

    Comment


      That's a bummer. I'm of the mind that any substantive change of previously announced contents or materials used, etc., should be communicated to the buyer in advance of delivery. Stuff happens that derails the best plans, but in 99% of cases, communication would resolve most ill will.

      Comment


        Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

        Ok, just received an update from Gauntlet.  Apparently, Garton wasn't able to provide the new introduction due to health reasons and Gauntlet didn't want to delay the title further having already done so before due to printer issues.  I completely understand and have no issue with that decision; however, if that was going to be the case, why weren't customers notified beforehand?  Obviously, Gauntlet was aware of the issue throughout the printing process.  They have sent a pretty consistent newsletter and this issue was never mentioned.  The order page has also never been updated to remove that promised intro or to provide the Garton health update.  If the issue would have been communicated up front, I wouldn't have minded at all, especially for the health reason, but by them choosing to remain silent, it feels deceptive to me, like perhaps they were trying to avoid upfront cancellations and figure people wouldn't go through the hassle of a return on the backend.  I'm still debating a return on this book, but since it is book two of a three book series, I'm not sure if I will follow through or not.   Will definitely give me pause on futures orders once I close out this & the Blake Crouch series they are doing.
        That's exactly the same scam they pulled on me with a Matheson Lettered edition. I would have definitely canceled my order if I'd known up front that all the promised extras were no longer being included. I'm done with Gauntlet.

        Comment


          Book 2 of a 3 book series? I was only aware of Ravenous and Bestial. What is the third title?

          Comment


            Originally posted by joejets View Post
            Book 2 of a 3 book series? I was only aware of Ravenous and Bestial. What is the third title?
            You are correct.  For some reason I thought there was a third book or that one was going to be written, but I cannot find that info anywhere; so, it must've been my imagination!

            Comment


              I hope Ray is doing OK. We used to e-mail each other occasionally, but fell out of touch. I'll have to see if I still have his e-mail address and check in on him.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

              Comment


                Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post

                You are correct. For some reason I thought there was a third book or that one was going to be written, but I cannot find that info anywhere; so, it must've been my imagination!
                I think Ray has occasionally mentioned a passing interest in a third book in the setting - or even a crossover with the Live Girls stories - but nothing has ever been officially planned.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by slayn666 View Post

                  I think Ray has occasionally mentioned a passing interest in a third book in the setting - or even a crossover with the Live Girls stories - but nothing has ever been officially planned.
                  I really hope that he calls the potential crossover novel "Ray Garton's Twilight"!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X