Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderstorm Books

Just a heads up in case anybody is interested:

Thunderstorm Books has the first two books in their new TEMPEST line up for sale on their website. This line is curated by author Mary SanGiovanni and will focus on highlighting female authors. The first two titles are TRUE CRIME by Samantha Kolesnik and A FRESH START by Somer Canon. While I haven't heard any feedback on Somer Canon's book, Samantha Kolesnik's TRUE CRIME has had some buzz around it. The books are limited to only 45 copies each and are priced at $66. I already have my order in for both!

http://thunderstormbooks.com/thunderstorm/

I agonized all day yesterday as to whether or not I would pull the trigger on the S/L HC of TRUE CRIME. I have a signed tpb 1st of it, and thought it was quite good, and a deluxe edition of it was enticing -- and at $66, it wasn't bad for a Thunderstorm book. But I ultimately decided to pass...I'd just bought a few other books, and I honestly wasn't too keen on the board design of the book and its companion, A FRESH START (and there's no d)j. Plus, I really didn't want start collecting another series of limited books, which this definitely would have kickstarted. So the best option for me was to pass.

Enjoy those books...I think you're going to really dig TRUE CRIME.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I haven't seen the board design for either book yet, so I can't say my thoughts on that quite yet, though I do like a lot of Thunderstorm's jacketless books, especially the Douglas Western and Shadow Side lines. The price is on the cheaper side for Thunderstorm, especially since the print run is miniscule, which made it easier to pull the trigger. I get the thought about not wanted to start collecting another line of books, though. I battle that compulsion quite a bit, especially those with numbered spines (Earthling's Halloween series, CD's Novella and Signature Series lines). My collector's OCD goes off when I have gaps. With Thunderstorm's Another Ghost imprint collaboration coming to an end, I figured I could plug this series into its spot and not miss a beat.

I am really looking forward to reading TRUE CRIME, especially now that it has your endorsement!

Comment

Comment

True Crime looks exactly the same. Like, exactly - only difference is the title and author name. I like the aesthetic, but I do see why they're so inexpensive as that's a pretty barebones setup.

I've decided to pass on the series as I'm trying to cut back on the number of series I collect. It's going to be a struggle until the last few copies sell and the decision is taken away from me.

Comment

Hmm...I’m gonna withhold final judgement until I get them in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              I agonized all day yesterday as to whether or not I would pull the trigger on the S/L HC of TRUE CRIME. I have a signed tpb 1st of it, and thought it was quite good, and a deluxe edition of it was enticing -- and at $66, it wasn't bad for a Thunderstorm book. But I ultimately decided to pass...I'd just bought a few other books, and I honestly wasn't too keen on the board design of the book and its companion, A FRESH START (and there's no d)j. Plus, I really didn't want start collecting another series of limited books, which this definitely would have kickstarted. So the best option for me was to pass.

Enjoy those books...I think you're going to really dig TRUE CRIME.
              I agree with your assessment of True Crime. It's one of my favorite books of the year so far.

Comment

I love the few Thunderstorm books that I have, but I don't know that I can afford this new line. Yes, it IS very affordable compared to their usual titles, but I'm getting very very poor. :-/

Comment

I received my copies of TRUE CRIME and A FRESH START. After seeing Slayn's pictures I was a little worried as the books looked very plain and the boards appeared to my eye to just be almost plain cloth. I was wondering if this was going to be a rare misfire for Thunderstorm as I usually like their design aesthetics. Once I held the books in my hands, I was pleasantly surprised.

Now, this is a 45-copy run of a title with a $66 price tag so expectations have to be in check. One can't expect too much with those two factors at play. Thunderstorm has to make money off these books. So here's my thoughts:

The binding material is nicer than I was worried it would be after seeing pictures. It does have a nice feel and sheen to it that is hard to capture in a picture. Part of what makes the binding look more plain is the color choice. It's rather muted and I wonder if a more vibrant color on this type of material wouldn't have more pop. The texture is also nice and I felt the quality more with my hands than my eyes.

Moving on to the front and back board stamping. I can't say that they are my favorite designs from Thunderstorm. There is nothing necessarily wrong with the front board stamping, but wouldn't be my choice. I'm not a "skulls and roses" kind of guy, but that's just me. The back board stamping is nice, but Thunderstorm has yet to outdo the back board stamping for their Douglas Western line. That stamping simply rocks.

Both books have nice end papers and this is where they differ more as the end papers in the two books have different colors and designs. Paul loves his end papers and one of the fun parts of getting a Black Voltage title is seeing what end papers he uses to match the book. He tends to get very creative, which is fun. The "hairy" end papers for Kristopher Rufty's BIGFOOT BEACH come to mind.

While not all design choices on the line are directly in step with my tastes, overall I'm happy with the purchase and can't wait to read them.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on these two. I must admit, it does make me question a bit my decision to pass on them, but whattayagonnado. Will be interested to hear your take on TRUE CRIME once you read it. Btw, here is what the tpb 1st looks like:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...286802434?s=21

Comment

I really dig the design of that TPB. Very cool. TRUE CRIME has been bumped to the top of my TBR list. I’m working my way through Cronin’s THE TWELVE right now so it’ll probably be a week before I can get to it. It’s calling my name, but I must resist. I’m trying to be better about getting through book series.

Comment

Just a heads up that Thunderstorm has just announced a two book set of books by Paul Tremblay. The set will is $160 with shipping.

These are two of his earlier novels and are more in the crime genre. Get them while you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                          Just a heads up that Thunderstorm has just announced a two book set of books by Paul Tremblay. The set will is $160 with shipping.

These are two of his earlier novels and are more in the crime genre. Get them while you can!
                          Was on-line watching the announcement and couldn't order them fast enough. I've always wanted to read these, but for some reason never picked up the tpbs. Now I'll be able to read them in style! :-)

Comment

Oooooh - ordered. At first I was thinking $160 sounded like a lot, but when you break it down to $75 each plus $10 shipping, that doesn't sound so bad.

ETA: Asked to see if they can match my number to the SST editions I have.
                            Last edited by TacomaDiver; 08-23-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

So long as your number isn't below 60ish, you'll probably be ok. Under that, I suspect people collecting BVs will get priority for matching.

Comment

Working...
                              X