Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    FYI, in case you guys didn't get the email:

Stephen King's The Shining is running a bit late, but you knew that already, right?

Here's a brief history and update on the project:

When Steve chose to let us publish Limited and Gift Editions of The Shining, we scheduled a production meeting with our usual printer, Thomson-Shore (who we cannot recommend highly enough, by the way.)

At the meeting, we made it clear that the entire print job was to be theirs, provided they could handle the slipcases for the Gift Edition. They don't produce slipcases in house, and didn't have a company they were comfortable in partnering with on this, so we made the decision to use Leo USA (who produced my favorite Neil Gaiman limited, Neverwhere) for the Gift Edition.

Copies of the Gift Edition will be done in the next week, and will ship to us from Hong Kong. With travel time, and the need to clear customs, we hope to begin shipping this edition in mid-January.

The Signed, Limited Edition resides with Thomson-Shore. We commissioned hand marbled paper for part of the binding (with the spine of each book being cloth). Now that everything is in hand, T-S tells us that the Limited will be printed November 26.

As soon as the Limited Edition is done, we'll send a copy out to Kater-Craft, in California, who will handle the traycases. These will take a few months. We'll update folks again as soon as we have a firm date from them.

The Signed Lettered Edition is being hand bound at Kater-Craft, and will likely be finished early in the Spring.

That's where things stand at the moment. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to drop me an email.

Before I'm out of your hair, I should add that we've seen sample bindings, the printed but unbound book, the color plates, and the other assorted by-products of producing a book, and everything looks just stunning.

Best,
    Bill

PS. The Limited and Lettered Editions are long sold out, and we're down to fewer than 200 of the Gift.
    I was kind of surprised to learn the books are made in Hong Kong. Maybe that's common knowledge, but I just assumed there'd be some local press that was used.

I'm also surprised that they still have 200 of the gift left. Stephen King editions can be very fickle.

Comment

I was too. I just assumed that the books are made more local due to costs. Must be expensive to ship that many books from overseas.

Comment

I'm with you guys, I was also surprised that a small press would use an overseas production company. I think CD and Dark Regions get their's stateside.

Comment

Does anyone know if The Shining is going to be oversized or just standard sized? The Sub Press website gives no mention to the size of this book whatsoever.
          "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
          - Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
            Does anyone know if The Shining is going to be oversized or just standard sized? The Sub Press website gives no mention to the size of this book whatsoever.
            I asked Bill back in January and he confirmed it would be oversized.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
              I asked Bill back in January and he confirmed it would be oversized.
              Awesome news Brad, thanks!

Like you, I also prefer Limited Editions that are oversized.
              "I watched Titanic when I got back home from the hospital, and cried. I knew that my IQ had been damaged."
              - Stephen King

Comment

Latest update (for the few that may have not seen the email from SP). I'm still surprised they have copies available of the gift edition, I should snatch up some of them and flip them.

Good news on the Stephen King front. Copies of the Gift Edition (shown above in a glorious cell phone photo) are done and en route to the US. We should begin shipping in mid-January, when the seven pallets containing copies roll into our warehouse.

The Limited Edition proper is also done. We've sent one copy to our regular traycase maker, in California, and are waiting for them to send us a prototype to approve. We don't have a firm (or even iffy) ship date for the Limited yet, but we hope it'll be 2-3 months after we approve the prototype.

Comment

Here's the (small) pic that came with the above email today.

The_Shining_GE.jpg

Comment

I like it! Thanks for adding the picture!

Comment

Love the slipcase, I can't wait for it to arrive on my doorstep.

Comment

Yes I agree that slip case is awesome.

Comment

Awesome looking. As long as the slipcase fits this time.

The last time I ordered a book in a slipcase from sub press (the last time I ordered from them, period), I got a book that I thought I was going to have to cut out of the slipcase in order to inspect it. I got it out but had a dickens of a time getting it back in. This was the best I could do.

Z6.jpg

After I contacted Bill at sp and was told to go eff myself, I decided never to order from them again. Then they put out a special edition of The Shining. I really wish CD had gotten The Shining and sp had gotten Doctor Sleep. Oh well.
                          Last edited by srboone; 12-11-2013, 03:54 AM.
                          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

That really sucks, Squire. A bad experience with a retailer can leave a sour taste for a long time. While a good experience can do the exact opposite, which I expect why many of us are CD supporters.
                            Last edited by Theli; 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Yep! Never had a problem with CD, Earthling, Thunderstorm or PS. They get the vast majority of my business. Dark Regions is getting better.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                After I contacted Bill at sp and was told to go eff myself, I decided never to order from them again. Then they put out a special edition of The Shining. I really wish CD had gotten The Shining and sp had gotten Doctor Sleep. Oh well.
                                Woah... That's insane!!!!

What happened exactly Squire? If Bill at Sub Press told you to go fu** yourself because you made a legitimate complaint about one of their books, we all need to know the full story so that we can avoid Sub Press like the plague.

I can just imagine spending several hundred dollars on Clive Barker's Books of Blood, only to discover a problem and then getting told to go fu** myself when I complain. In that eventuality, I do not think any amount of anger management therapy will keep me cool...
                                - Stephen King

Comment

Working...
                                X