No announcement yet.

New Limited Edition of The Shining from Sub Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just a bit surprised that so many people don't like Rodriguez; the reaction to his work on Locke & Key has been uniformly positive from the getgo.

Comment

I just find the art demeaning to the work it's illustrating. I'm just not into comics anymore, haven't read any of the DT series at all and have no plans to.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Such negativity. I do not think it is that bad. I do not plan on canceling my order.

Comment

To each his own and I respect that right.

But don't just go on criticizing Subpress themselves just for this one cover art. Imho, the supporters of quality small press publishers should stick with each other because there just aren't a whole lot of them coming out with fine limited editions of our favorite authors. Subpress has been around for quite some time and in the past I've had nothing but good experience with their books.

Sorry if I've offended anybody here, but implications that letting Subpress do the limited edition of The Shining has been demeaning to the classic title before viewing the whole finished product is sort of demeaning in itself, again imho.

Comment

I have more than just the cover art of The SHining to criticize them over. I've never had a good expereince with them. I was quite upset when it was revealed t hat they would be publishing The Shining.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I've never had anything but a good experience with Sub Press, but I know all too well that it only takes one bad experience with a company to sour you on them forever. I have always thought their cover art has been excellent, just as CD's is, but I too am greatly disappointed with this effort. It's not about the artist though. I love his cover art for the Sub Press version of NOS4A2.

The Shining is my all-time favorite horror novel, and the first and really only one to truly creep me out when I read it the first time. So maybe I am too harsh a critic on this but the cover art looks like it's turned the scariest book I have ever read into an episode of Scooby-Doo. At the end of the day though, it's the story that matters not the pictures, and I am still looking forward to getting this book.
              Last edited by rjmyers; 03-22-2013, 02:47 AM.

Comment

I generally think SubPress does a fine job picking cover art. The other title I think they messed up on was George Martin's Storm of Swords. Too "cartooney" in my opinion.

Comment

I have never had issues with sub press either. I did not care for the cover of the Joe Hill book but mostly because I do not care for manga. I do like the work in L&K. I did like the Joker in the car part of the cover. To each his own.

Comment

Looks like SP took down the cover from their website.

Comment

Rodriguez's name has been removed as well
                      Last edited by Tommy; 03-24-2013, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                        Rodriguez's name has been removed as well

This can only be a good thing. Maybe they realize so many people were unhappy with the choice of artist. Or maybe they saw CD's BADSS art for Doctor Sleep!!
                        Last edited by bsaenz24; 03-24-2013, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Well you can't say Subpress doesn't listen to their customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                            Well you can't say Subpress doesn't listen to their customers.

Agreed. I assume this is in response to the customer complaints and yes that would be great if they changed it based on the customer comments.

Comment

Hmmm...looks to be a good move. I remember CD doing that with the cover of PURE when we had a problem with the cover.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                                Hmmm...looks to be a good move. I remember CD doing that with the cover of PURE when we had a problem with the cover.
                                I think I was in the minority on that cover as well. I did not mind it but every one else did.Guess I don't know squat about art.

Comment

Working...
                                X