No announcement yet.

[IDEXED]Kin by Kealan Patrick Burke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad you did not give up.Over half way through Kin now.I find myself thinking about the characters as I go about my day.Really love this book so far.I too
    just got my e-mail about the arc being sent.Think I might pass it on to someone to introduce them to your work.Any chance your back catalog will ever come
    out in trade books.I am not sure how I feel about the kindel and e-books.Like I said before I enjoyed your shorter stories.Own your collection that CD released
    a few years ago.Thanks to CD I was introduced to your work as well as many others.

Comment

Finished up Kin last night and thought it was great. The characterizations were excellent and the pacing of the story was fantastic. This is certainly one of my favorites books this year and has story elements that will stick with me for quite awhile. For whatever reason I also really enjoyed how the order of events were put together. Sometimes when arranging a story this way (jumping between past and present) the plot can slow down or stop completely however in this case it worked out great.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
        So glad you did not give up.Over half way through Kin now.I find myself thinking about the characters as I go about my day.Really love this book so far.
        I'm delighted to hear that, Bookworm!

I too just got my e-mail about the arc being sent.Think I might pass it on to someone to introduce them to your work.
        Please do!

Any chance your back catalog will ever come out in trade books.I am not sure how I feel about the kindel and e-books.Like I said before I enjoyed your shorter stories.
        It seems I'm having more luck getting my backlist out in trade and mass market internationally (the Polish mass market edition of CURRENCY OF SOULS, retitled BAR OF THE DAMNED, was released yesterday), but I am always exploring ways to get them out here too. So far no luck, at least no offers that would make it worth it for me in the long run, but I'll keep at it. The popularity of the books in digital format certainly seems to suggest that there's a market for the work, which is great.

Own your collection that CD released a few years ago.Thanks to CD I was introduced to your work as well as many others.
        That's great! Collections are typically a hard sell, both for the author to get it published, and for the publisher to get it to readers, as they just don't seem that popular anymore (or at least, they didn't, before the explosion of digital), which is another reason I love the small press. That collection is one of my favorite books--I think it represents some of my best fiction--and CD did an amazing job with it.
        http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
          Finished up Kin last night and thought it was great. The characterizations were excellent and the pacing of the story was fantastic. This is certainly one of my favorites books this year and has story elements that will stick with me for quite awhile. For whatever reason I also really enjoyed how the order of events were put together. Sometimes when arranging a story this way (jumping between past and present) the plot can slow down or stop completely however in this case it worked out great.
          Wonderful news! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed it. I realize it's not a book that will work for everyone (like most books, I suppose), so the positive feedback thus far is immensely gratifying. Once again, thanks for picking up a copy, and I'm glad you found it worth the purchase!

Comment

Finished Kin last night.Made good use of that extra hour.Great story. Like usual when I finish a book that really speaks to me I feel a little sad
            and find myself already missing the characters.The only other book that has spoken to me like that recently was the five.This book is a must read.

Comment

Finished Kin last night.Made good use of that extra hour.Great story. Like usual when I finish a book that really speaks to me I feel a little sad
              and find myself already missing the characters.The only other book that has spoken to me like that recently was the five.This book is a must read.
              Bookworm, THE FIVE was my favorite read of the year. To even have anything I've written mentioned in the same sentence as that book is an amazing compliment. Thank you!

Comment

My copy arrived today and is next in line on the To Be Read pile. It is actually the first "hard copy" of any of Mr Burke's books I have bought having read the The Turtle Boy and associated stories / novels as ebooks. Looking forward to it.
                (Don't you just love that sense of anticipation when you know you have a really good story waiting for you?)

Comment

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
                  My copy arrived today and is next in line on the To Be Read pile. It is actually the first "hard copy" of any of Mr Burke's books I have bought having read the The Turtle Boy and associated stories / novels as ebooks. Looking forward to it.
                  (Don't you just love that sense of anticipation when you know you have a really good story waiting for you?)
                  Thanks for picking up a copy, Paul!

Comment

I finished Kin last night, less than 24 hours after starting it. I could not put it down. I have to say that I thought it was one of the better novels that I had read in a while. While I don't mind extreme horror at all, I felt that Kealan did a fantastic job of conveying the violence without being extreme for extreme sake. The first page is probably one of the five best openings I've read in the last ten years. The opening scene was so stark and gritty that when it played out in my mind it had the same grime and dirt look that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre had. Many authors and film makers have tried to capture that atmosphere over the years but for me this is the first time I really felt the same level of horror. As I read Kin I kept thinking of Ketchum's The Girl Next Door. Both novels feel to me as if events play out and that the characters have no choice but to go forward even though they know there can be no happy ending. Haunting. Just haunting. Way to go Kealan.
                    Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. - H.P. Lovecraft

Comment

Hey thanks gs, I'm delighted to hear that KIN resonated with you! It's always gratifying when a reader really gets what you were trying to do with a novel. Makes the long hours of solitary confinement and second-guessing more than worth it.

Thanks again, sir. You made my night!

Comment

KIN, hailed as "a modern classic" (FEARNET) and "one of the best Southern Gothic novels in recent memory" (DARK DISCOVERIES), is now available in digital at the following stores:

Comment

Working...
                        X