Stephen King the Doubleday Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
    As for the upcoming The Stand: Ned Dameron is no longer the primary artist?? Not sure if this is fact or fiction.....
    Fiction. Ned Dameron has a dozen pieces of color artwork in the book.

Brian
    Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Has there been any confirmation as to which version of The Stand will be produced?
      I would assume the original, rather than the 90’s expanded version, which would be my preference, but I don’t recall it being officially announced one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by warlock664 View Post
        Has there been any confirmation as to which version of The Stand will be produced?
        I would assume the original, rather than the 90’s expanded version, which would be my preference, but I don’t recall it being officially announced one way or the other.
        It's the 1990 version, not the original.

Comment

Originally posted by warlock664 View Post
          Expanded. LOTS of people have asked SK to reprint the original edited version and so far the answer has always been "nope."

Brian
          Brian James Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Expanded. LOTS of people have asked SK to reprint the original edited version and so far the answer has always been "nope."

Brian
            I believe King has been clear that he will not ok the reprinting of the truncated version.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

I believe King has been clear that he will not ok the reprinting of the truncated version.
              From my understanding, he wasn't happy with all the cuts from the original. Hence the uncut edition that came to be.

Comment

In my opinion, the edited version was better, it was edited for a reason. He might not like it, but there it is. The little vignettes with stupid/mean people succumbing to their own cruelty/ignorance, while entertaining, does not add much to the story arc.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                  In my opinion, the edited version was better, it was edited for a reason. He might not like it, but there it is. The little vignettes with stupid/mean people succumbing to their own cruelty/ignorance, while entertaining, does not add much to the story arc.
                  Many share your view, King does not. I believe the cuts were done for multiple reasons. I assume all King books are subject to editing cuts. No inside knowledge but I would not be surprised if King was upset with being told to edit out a certain number of pages because they did not have the ability to print a book that large. That feels very different than cutting useless story lines.

Comment

So now that CD is closing in on the 2/3 point of The Doubleday Years set this would be a good time to announce The Viking Years. Of course this a much larger effort so you should probably plan for 3 releases a year.

Comment

I guess artistically, no writer wants to be edited at all lol!

Comment

The only thing I found a little jarring in the original Stand was how Trashcan Man suddenly ended up in Las Vegas after not being heard from in a while. I thought the expanded text helped to shed some light on his trip across country and on his importance.

Comment

Originally posted by mhatchett View Post
                          I guess artistically, no writer wants to be edited at all lol!
                          I have heard several authors, Mr. King included, praise their editors. I really believe, with no basis in fact, that being edited because the printer can't handle the length is an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by taost33 View Post
                            The only thing I found a little jarring in the original Stand was how Trashcan Man suddenly ended up in Las Vegas after not being heard from in a while. I thought the expanded text helped to shed some light on his trip across country and on his importance.
                            I agree that not all in the uncut version is needed to advance the story. I do feel that the flow of the uncut story is better which is why I prefer it.,

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              I have heard several authors, Mr. King included, praise their editors. I really believe, with no basis in fact, that being edited because the printer can't handle the length is an issue.
                              Yep, I think it was 100% the need to cut so many pages simply because of pricing/printing concerns. Bev Vincent has written a great (unannounced) essay all about this, which will appear at the end of our special edition of THE STAND.

Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by taost33 View Post
                                This is probably why I prefer the uncut.

Comment

Working...
                                X