No announcement yet.

Networking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you find time for all these sites? If I had to keep up with all these blog and book faces and chirps and... well, I'd never get any writing done. This computer thingy is way too time gulping! Ay wot? Am I bloody well right? Anyone? (Is this thing on? TAP TAP.)

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
      How do you find time for all these sites? If I had to keep up with all these blog and book faces and chirps and... well, I'd never get any writing done. This computer thingy is way too time gulping! Ay wot? Am I bloody well right? Anyone? (Is this thing on? TAP TAP.)
      Some you can link, and thus one post goes to many. Some you only post once in a while. But I tend to work on putting something up weekly on my blog, that autoshares with most of them. I try not to spend a lot of time on all of the forums, social apps, etc...but it's also a necessity. I would have never found out about CD's contest without it. Plus, there is a lot of good opinions/experiences/advice to be shared, which is priceless in this industry. So I try to build it all into my daily research. There are never enough hours in the day for me though.
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Ozmo, my man, I haven't even figured out how you put the last remark in the box above what you're referring to when you answer someone like you just did.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Randy D. Rubin View Post
            Ozmo, my man, I haven't even figured out how you put the last remark in the box above what you're referring to when you answer someone like you just did.
            Reply with quote my friend It's all a balance-with authors expected to do the majority, if not ALL of there own marketing, you have to find the balance and treat writing like a business. It's all work, just different sides of the same coin.
            http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Twitter : www.twitter.com/anthonylund
              Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/anthony.lun...nd/26550752697
              Author Website : www.anthonylund.com
              Other Website : www.talesfromthebackside.com
              Blog : http://s124076124.websitehome.co.uk/ (Is waiting for the new update to go live)
              Anthony Lund - Creator of Tales From The Back Side
              www.anthonylund.com
              www.talesfromthebackside.com

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                Reply with quote my friend It's all a balance-with authors expected to do the majority, if not ALL of there own marketing, you have to find the balance and treat writing like a business. It's all work, just different sides of the same coin.
                You've touched on this a few times, CW; I'm hoping to get a little clarification. Does this apply to both short stories and novels? I'm only focusing on SS so would you say it would behoove me to market any publication in which my work appears in hopes of driving up their circulation which in turn would make them think "hmm, people like this R.J. guy. Perhaps we should look at his work more closely?"
                It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

I think if you decide to try your hand at writing full-time, than you need to structure your day in a way that works for you. There are a lot of different aspects to such a task: marketing, socializing, networking, reading, writing, editing, studying, research, etc. This is not a business (unfortunately) that you get rich at quickly. The right opportunity has to discover you, and that doesn't happen so often. I've met thousands of writers, and very few that I consider to be making it.

For me, when I say research, that includes looking into aspects of stories as much as it does checking out publishers, platforms, whats going on int he market, and stuff of that nature. I try to fill the bulk of my day between that and editing. Everything else is important too, but understanding your job and how to do it well are the most important. Writing every day ensures you are putting to use what you learn. But you have to make sure you are improving as well. Always try to take your game to that next level.

For me, networking/socializing falls low on that list. Although it is important, it can take away from your day too much if you aren't careful about it. Although, I rarely am able to turn away from a good discussion about writing. I consider that part of networking to be research though. If someone shares their thoughts with you, than you are learning--whether it be in agreement or of your own intuition.

If your aiming at the short form market as a full-time writer, that can be hectic I would think. I would imagine you would be writing shorts every day, and sending them out every day. I've come across one guy that attempted such a thing, and he claimed to be making pretty good scratch at it. Reading his blog, it sounded like a lot of work full-time. I know a lot of writers that have another full-time job though prefer this, as its all they have time for. Nothing wrong with it by any means.

Whenever you choose a path in the creative fields, it all comes down to a few things. First, are you good? Second, are you working to get better? And third, has the right person found you yet? Forums such as CD's and others are a great place to start. In the end though, its much like winning the lottery I think.

Always pimp out everything you are in, whether people buy it or not, you want it on their minds...or at least visible. I'd be careful of going too far with that though. I've come across a few authors that do so much of it that I know several people have ignored them. Others have even begun to criticize them. Still, its the nasty thing we need to do. Be proud of what you achieve. There is nothing wrong with posting that.

Hope all that helps.

Comment

Help! Google+ has ensnared me (it offered an eclair). I can be found at: Ramona Gardea.

Comment

Google got me too: https://plus.google.com/106939058946039695036/about
                      FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
                        You've touched on this a few times, CW; I'm hoping to get a little clarification. Does this apply to both short stories and novels? I'm only focusing on SS so would you say it would behoove me to market any publication in which my work appears in hopes of driving up their circulation which in turn would make them think "hmm, people like this R.J. guy. Perhaps we should look at his work more closely?"
                        It certainly can't hurt you any. Plus you are getting your name out there, good for any writer! Sorry about the delay-I've been busy with deadlines!
                        http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X