No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol let the vote recruiting begin! I'm going to get slammed for this post, but I'm just calling it like I see it...
    Can't help but notice one or two groups are more "popular" than the rest...for those of you playing an honest game, I applaud you...for those of you who actually want to win this thing, better start letting your friends know...

Comment

I've noticed this too. It's a shame. I wouldn't want to win because I begged my friends to vote for me. I've actually tried to spread the word about the contest to get more unbiased votes. When I mention it, I specifically state, “please only vote for the stories you think are best.” To win by any other way would be hollow--sad.

MLD

Comment

Originally posted by spernst View Post
        lol let the vote recruiting begin! I'm going to get slammed for this post, but I'm just calling it like I see it...
        Can't help but notice one or two groups are more "popular" than the rest...for those of you playing an honest game, I applaud you...for those of you who actually want to win this thing, better start letting your friends know...
        It's easy to see that some are doing it (all it takes is a quick look at the polls and the views stories got, or even google brings up a few interesting posts)... Oh well, can't stop them. Plus, as others have said it's not all about winning (I for one am really counting on some feedback after the voting ends).

An idea for the next contest: only those who posted a story or have over a certain amount of posts and have been members for x amount of time can vote. Iv'e seen it done on other forums where there are contests that are decided by votes from members. Should eliminate vote recruitment in my opinion. But that's for next time. This was the first one and I think that Dan did a really good job running it!

Comment

As the old saying goes, "If you can't beat em..."

If it means a lot for you to be in this book, that is likely the way to go, as I do think it has turned into that for several of the groups. However, I would suggest that there is more value in knowing someone truly enjoyed your story--after actually reading it. After all, as has been stated, there are important people reading these stories as well. A truly valid vote means much more than twenty or so solicited ones. I'll be asking people to come and read all of the stories (hoping they will), and vote for mine if they think it best. If your story is solid enough, I do think you can win over solicited votes...I think.

On a side note, I wanted to reiterate how great this all is, not only as an opportunity to see print, but as a chance to display your talent in front of many eyes. I think that means something. So thank you Cemetery Dance, and Dan for dealing with all the grief you are likely hearing. I look forward to other contests.
          Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
            As the old saying goes, "If you can't beat em..."

If it means a lot for you to be in this book, that is likely the way to go, as I do think it has turned into that for several of the groups. However, I would suggest that there is more value in knowing someone truly enjoyed your story--after actually reading it. After all, as has been stated, there are important people reading these stories as well. A truly valid vote means much more than twenty or so solicited ones. I'll be asking people to come and read all of the stories (hoping they will), and vote for mine if they think it best. If your story is solid enough, I do think you can win over solicited votes...I think.

On a side note, I wanted to reiterate how great this all is, not only as an opportunity to see print, but as a chance to display your talent in front of many eyes. I think that means something. So thank you Cemetery Dance, and Dan for dealing with all the grief you are likely hearing. I look forward to other contests.
            i concur. I didnt enter this contest to win. I've got so many story starts I kinda wanted to use this as an opportunity to test the waters and see what happened and if some people like my stuff, then heck, I may pursue it. I mean, who here wouldn't rather be sitting in their den writing than sitting behind a desk "working" .

For those that solicit votes, or may even have multiple forum accounts, more power to ya!
            It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

It's a bit of a shame really, but as I've told ozmosis7 there's really not much that I can do about it without defeating the whole purpose of the contest, which in the end is to bring new people to these forums. If even 1 out of every 10 people that registers to initially just to vote stays and participates then I can't really justify changing changing anything. If it really looks bad at the end of this contest, for the next one I may require that you be a participating member of the forums to vote, with a post pre-requisite, but this one is already under way and we can't change it at this stage of the game. Just remember that this is all good exposure, and if we see something we really like, just because you did or didn't win, doesn't mean we won't approach you to use your story in something else!
              CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
              Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                It's a bit of a shame really, but as I've told ozmosis7 there's really not much that I can do about it without defeating the whole purpose of the contest, which in the end is to bring new people to these forums. If even 1 out of every 10 people that registers to initially just to vote stays and participates then I can't really justify changing changing anything. If it really looks bad at the end of this contest, for the next one I may require that you be a participating member of the forums to vote, with a post pre-requisite, but this one is already under way and we can't change it at this stage of the game. Just remember that this is all good exposure, and if we see something we really like, just because you did or didn't win, doesn't mean we won't approach you to use your story in something else!
                +1 (especially for that last sentence, hope lives! )

It's true, whats done is done. Just have to ride this "wave" to the end and learn from it.

Comment

yep. you guys are doing an awesome job driving traffic and participation in the forums. Keep it up and CD will be THE premier publishing house for this genre and size.

Long live the interwebz!
                  It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

I didn't mean for that to come off as a complaint by the way, so I hope it wasn't taken as such. I think this is great, and the possibility you pose is what brought me here to begin with. Not only, do you get to pass your work in front of Cemetery Dance's eyes, but I know of at least one other big publisher that is likely perusing them. I would bet there are others as well.
                    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                      I didn't mean for that to come off as a complaint by the way, so I hope it wasn't taken as such. I think this is great, and the possibility you pose is what brought me here to begin with. Not only, do you get to pass your work in front of Cemetery Dance's eyes, but I know of at least one other big publisher that is likely perusing them. I would bet there are others as well.
                      Don't worry it didn't come off as a complaint. It was something I was concerned about myself. I just didn't think about it as a problem until it was really too late to do anything about it.
                      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Not only do we get our own stories out there, but where else do you get the chance to read 100+ original short stories? That's what it's all about! Maybe next time, CD could put out a MONSTER anthology!

Comment

very cool all of this, good luck everyone, and thanks dan and CD for all of your hard work
                          FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

I'm really excited about the feedback process more than anything, since I'm completely unpublished. Which leads me, and don't take this in the vein of Robert Spearman who posted something similar a bit ago, to feel a little...jipped, so to speak, by being categorized with McClintlock, who is at least decently well-known and has published 12 stories or so if Google holds true. I mean, really, his level of practice and experience automatically (and number of votes) undermines everyone else in the group and basically throws our chance straight out the window. I'm not trying to complain by any means--this is an excellent opportunity and I'm thankful to be a part of it. It's just a grievance I had to at least get off my chest. Good luck to all, yet again, I'm reading some great stuff on here (including McClintlock's story--one of the best).

Comment

My eyes are starting to cross, so I better save more reading for tomorrow, but I just wanted to note the amazing variety here! Not just the subject matter, but specifically the way people are beginning their stories. There's the traditional ones that have a beginning, middle, end. And the "in medias res" (did I spell that right?) style of jumping right in with someone in danger or wounded. Cool guys, really cool.

Comment

These types of contests are fun but they will always be popularity contests. For those of you who are seriously struggling to get your name out there, I suggest Duotrope Digest as the best way to find contests in your genre. It's a godsend! Almost everyone is listed there! Not that this contest isn't a wonderful opportunity, it is fantastic, but there are other ones available where your story will be judged strictly on its merit.
                                http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X