No announcement yet.

Contest Entry Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here we are getting ready to vote, and I've still only read about a third of the stories. It's been fun. I hope the voting is a little staggered so we can concentrate on one group of stories at a time. I'm really looking forward to giving and receiving critiques from everyone. Like many of you, I've never published anything and want to learn where I need to improve, or even what I might be doing right. I'm already anxious for another contest.
    "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Luckily, I have this week off for a personal writing retreat. The retreat gives me exclusive time away from my "real" job to devote to my budding writing "career" (three published short stories, a fourth just accepted last week, and selection as one of the finalists in Fangoria's Weird Words Fiction Contest). It also gives me time to agonize over the ultimate fate of my story in this contest.

I know I've said it before elsewhere on this forum, but best of luck to all of those who entered! I'm as eager to begin the voting process as the rest of you. The energy created by this contest has been positive and fantastic so far. And from the original announcement right through today and beyond, my excitement has been mounting. Regardless of who wins, Bad Dreams & New Screams will likely be one of the most anticipated and talked about chapbooks that CD puts out this year.
      "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Comment

I've decided to let voting last 2 weeks. I'll post all the votes at once though for the first round of voting. Just work in groups. I'm almost done, just have to write up the announcement and we'll be good to go! Good luck everyone!
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by HorrorScribe View Post
          my budding writing "career" (three published short stories, a fourth just accepted last week, and selection as one of the finalists in Fangoria's Weird Words Fiction Contest).
          That's fantastic- congratulations!

Comment

Ok voting is up. That took awhile, now back to some real work.....

Instagram

Comment

In the premise of giving fair advert of what is out there, or giving you a chance to read what you'd like, this story is in GROUP TWO, and it's called A Scandal in Vivisection. If you want to read a creative reimagining of Sherlock Holmes, Professor Moriarty and Dr. Moreau in the tradition of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, this is a story you may want to read!

Best wishes and good luck to everyone in the contest! Now back to reading more of the contest entries! Only 80 left to go!

Comment

Dan, will you open the original threads where the stories were posted, so that we can post comments to each story in it's actual thread? or should all entry discussion be carried out in the voting groups?

Comment

Originally posted by peteOcha View Post
                  Dan, will you open the original threads where the stories were posted, so that we can post comments to each story in it's actual thread? or should all entry discussion be carried out in the voting groups?
                  I will reopen the stories for comments and advice once voting is over. We do not want any constructive criticism or anything like that swaying other people's votes.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                    I will reopen the stories for comments and advice once voting is over. We do not want any constructive criticism or anything like that swaying other people's votes.
                    Ok, cool. Good to know.

Comment

Very exciting.. Can't wait to hear what people thought of my story

Comment

WHOA! The horror! The horror! So much bloody goodness. I can't wait to read more. What I'm loving so far is the sheer exuberance on display here.

Comment

I'm trying to figure out when I'm going to have time to read all of these......lol
                          Even if we lose, being read by Cemetery Dance is an honor unto itself. Thanks for reading them Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                            Even if we lose, being read by Cemetery Dance is an honor unto itself. Thanks for reading them Dan.
                            Very much agreed. Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                              Have to agree, and even to those who don't win, it does provide an opportunity to them by potentially being noticed by those who are connected to the publishing world. Just because a story doesn't win here doesn't mean it wouldn't have the potential to be published at a later time (either through CD or another publisher), especially if everyone working at CD reads them seeing as how they would know what could sell
                              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                              Spoiler!

Comment

I've got about 10 more left to read and then I will start my voting! Very fun stuff. I'm looking forward to opening them for discussions too!

Comment

Working...
                                X