No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Tucker and Dale vs Evil was a lot of fun, but honestly, if you've seen the trailer, you've seen most of the movie. It's a great idea that plays a little long, but there are definitely enough laughs throughout to make it well worth the time.

Hunter

Comment

Haywire: The first part of every movie year has it's unexpectedly enjoyable, if forgetable, gems. The plot is cliche and weak, (revenge on an employer for being doublecrossed), but what is important here is the director and the emergence of a female action star. Soderbergh is the director who lends his artistic flair to a story sparse on details, revealing it to the audience as it is revealed to his heroine and keeping the action swift and brutal. And the star is Gina Carano--someone I'd never heard of before, but who is a retired Mauy-Thai and MMA champion fighter. To say she is a gifted actress is a gross overstatement, but Soderbergh surrounds her with enough talent so that she can showcase her magnificient athleticism without having to display much more than a physical presence. Still, she is quite engaging and deserves a chance to become in the movies what she was in real life--a badass star. Of course, I said the same about Rhona Mitra of the barely watchable Doomsday (she went the way of TV with Stargate Universe rather than movies). The action is well-choregraphed and Soderbergh is in fine form as director and editor. The ending of the movie is simply perfect Soderbergh.

3.5/5
      Last edited by srboone; 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM.
      "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Watched an old Hitchcock movie this weekend that I had not seen yet. Suspicion from 1941. It is a very campy movie but it is worth watching.

Comment

I watched Return of the Living Dead again for the first time in probably a decade. LOL it's a lot like Blood Diner; I don't really like comedy-horror movies but those two are exceptions since everything works. I'd give both a 10/10....

Comment

Connie & I went and saw Sherlock Holmes : Game of Shadows this morning ('tis Australia Day down under - our equivalent to July 4th) and, if you liked the "original", you'll love this doubly so - absolute hoot from start to finish, and can't wait until it's released on 3D BD for home viewing, as there's one scene using pre-WW I artillery in a German forest that is just freaking awesome, but you can tell that it was predominantly designed for 3D viewing. 7 Kermits & 2 Fozzies out of 10 on the Muppet scale !!!!!

Comment

Wow! I can't say i enjoyed the original that much, nor that I plan to see the sequel, but that rating scale is a standout! I'd like to hear more about the rating scale!
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                Wow! I can't say i enjoyed the original that much, nor that I plan to see the sequel, but that rating scale is a standout! I'd like to hear more about the rating scale!
                Moves such as these we watch on days when one doesn't want to have to think (same as reading Jackie Collins) - pure, mindless entertainment - no message, no subtext, no analogies, etc, etc ... It's cathartic to lose ones self in blissful absurdity from time to time .... As regards the Muppet Rating scale, I'll get back to you as soon as I can arrive at a suitable system of points awarded based on the various elements of Muppetry that may be present in a given film that may make sense or have relevance to ..... well, anything, really

Comment

95% of the time, I like movies that don't make me think. I do that all day at work, it's nice to just relax with a bit of rum and juice. Like tonite I've watched Stripes and now Big Trouble in Little China. I don't know if I never knew or just forgot that Carpenter directed BTiLC.

Comment

Just saw Underworld Awakening... If you liked the other underworlds your gonna love this. Action with blood and guts all the way through. This is how a werewolve-vampire movie should be. None of that lovey-dovey Twilight stuff and by stuff I mean crap. But thats just my opinion. "Kate Beckinsale kicks ass."

Comment

The Stoning of Soraya M. - I had heard more than once that this was a powerful movie and difficult to watch for many. They were very right as this is a very serious, powerful movie based on something despicable that still happens in this day and age. I like to get invested in the characters in a movie, but rarely do I care as much as I did during this one. Maybe it was because this was based off something that actually happened to a woman whose name was Soraya M, but I found myself not only caring for and sympathizing with her, but also being disgusted by the actions of many in this and thinking about how they deserve to go to Hell for what they were doing. Based off my emotional reactions of actually caring about the characters, the scenery, and the performances of those involved, this one easily gets an A+ from me

I would definitely have to recommend watching this film, but with a warning that the ending parts of the movie are very much hard to watch, particularly if you have a queasy stomach (Which I luckily don't have). After seeing this, I think I will want to find and read the book this movie was based off
                      WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
                      Spoiler!

Comment

The Grey: The trailer made the movie out to be a typical January release--something that looked good on paper, but just never came together. But am I glad I went to see this one instead on Man on a Ledge. Liam Neeson plays a sharpshooter employed by an oil company to shoot wolves so they can't attack workers and threaten production in Alaska. But when the plane taking them to Anchorage for a weekend crashes, seven survivors must battle the wolves whose territory they've violated. This is not an action film, it's a film of survival. It's brutal, bloody, and let's face it: it's 7 against 100. It's no real contest. Victims are all around, yet none of the characters are treated as victims. This film is devestating from the get go, but it's far from depressing. Full of machoistic dialog that actually rings tue, it's the perfect anti-chick flick movie--not a single female in the audience liked it from what I could see (which means it's a great way to get back at a significant other for dragging you to see New Year's Eve!) The audience left the theater grumbling from an anti-climatic ending (which I thought was perfect), but they didn't stay for the little tag after the credits got done rolling--that's their own faults. It isn't long and it's not needed to enjoy the film, but I'm glad I stayed. This film wouldn't have worked in the summer or the fall. This was the best time for it.

4.5/5
                        Last edited by srboone; 01-27-2012, 03:18 PM.
                        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Menace View Post
                          Just saw Underworld Awakening... If you liked the other underworlds your gonna love this. Action with blood and guts all the way through. This is how a werewolve-vampire movie should be. None of that lovey-dovey Twilight stuff and by stuff I mean crap. But thats just my opinion. "Kate Beckinsale kicks ass."
                          Totally concur Menace - we went and saw it in Gold Class 3D this arvo and it was totally mindlessly awesome !!!! And, they kind of have to make another one now, seeing as how the end was the way it was

Comment

Just saw the Descendants. It was very subdued. I have seen plenty of postings on other sites like imbd , that they blew it by not utilizing the beauty of Hawaii. Those folks miss the whole idea. The point was that even in the middle of a beautiful place like Hawaii, life (and death) goes on. There a plain old houses, streets, stores and hospitals. It acknowledges that Hawaii is beautiful, but this story is about the people, not the place. It was good, it was very good. It felt like Sideways. It won't make you laugh out loud, so some of the previews may mislead as it is not slapstick. It is a story about family and wealth and Hawaii. To me, it was one of the best in a ver weak year.

Comment

The Girl with the Dragon tattoo....mmmmmm what to say about this film... It was not a bad movie..but it was also not a great movie. I think there was way to much hype for this film as I was expecting so much more and was quite dissappointed in it overall. Maybe if I had read the books before seeing the movie I might have enjoyed it more. I did not really find it better than any other run of the mill murder mystery -investigator movie.

Comment

The Woman: I haven't seen any of Lucky McGee's other movies, but he seems to have a style of directing that I find most annoying: a tendancy to end every scene with a fade-to-black. The last time I saw this was in The Boondock Saints movies. (There, in the first movie, FTBs extend the runtime of the movie by 3.5 minutes.) Now the FTB has it's purpose--to have a particular scene linger in an audience's mind by letting them digest what just happened for an extra moment or two. A movie can even get away with overusing the technique; "abusing" it though, can be fatal to a movie. And the opening credits of the movie overuses the technique of superimposing an image over the current one--something that distracts from the arresting images onscreen. However this technique is abandoned before it becomes "abused" fortunately. So, for me, the movie was a difficult one to get into. That being said, about halfway through, the movie picks up and ends with a very lively last 20 minutes (including an explanation as to the family's bizarre reactions to what their father is doing.) But half-a-movie is still half-a movie, so that's what I'm rating it as. But I'm looking forward to getting the book as I know it is going to be much better than the movie.

2.5/5
                                Last edited by srboone; 02-04-2012, 12:43 PM.
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X