Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still loving the signature srboone!

P.S. I watched Super 8 this weekend with the family and loved it. It's a solid 4/5 in my book. Had a great feel to it and was thoroughly enjoyable.

P.P.S. I had originally typed 8mm in lieu of Super 8 (above) and boy am I glad I looked it up before I posted. After looking this up I remember watching 8mm years ago and it certainly was not a family movie. LOL
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
      'Unknown' ... 4/5 Great film but not as good as 'Taken'
      Both were fantastic! Can't wait for the sequel to Taken to come out. Liam is one hell of an actor!

Comment

3 on a Meathook, one of my favorites lol. But it's not as sick a movie as you'd think by the title.
        Also watched again yet another one of my favorites, Opera by Argento lastnight.

Comment

I caught 3 on a Meathook late night on The Movie Channel a long time ago--it wasn't bad as far as cheap horror rip-offs go. Opera, on the other hand, is a classic.
          "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post

P.P.S. I had originally typed 8mm in lieu of Super 8 (above) and boy am I glad I looked it up before I posted. After looking this up I remember watching 8mm years ago and it certainly was not a family movie. LOL
            Thank god for Maltin's movie guide (my choice in movie reference material). Disaster averted!

The Descendants: Another tragicomic vision of life's midlife crises from the wonderfully perceptive Alexander Payne. George Clooney plays Matt King, the executor of a trust fund set up by his ancestors in 1860 to hold 3500 acres of Hawaiian coastline/wilderness for family use--who must decide how to dispose of the land (due to the rule against perpetuities), while dealing with a wife who is in a coma from a boating accident and learning of said wife's infidelity form his drug and alocohol addicted teenage daughter. Whew! Not as heavy going as it sounds. Funny, smart, with resolutions that seem a little too pat, but with some marvelous performances by Clooney and Shailene Woodley as his teenage daughter. BONUS: Matthew Lilliard in a role he's not annoying in, as despicable as his character is! And Beau Bridges doing his "Dude (brother Jeff)" impersonation.

4/5
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Tito_Villa View Post
              'Unknown' ... 4/5 Great film but not as good as 'Taken'
              Hmm...we have this queue'd to watch because we enjoyed Taken so much. Look forward to it. Thanks!
              Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                I caught 3 on a Meathook late night on The Movie Channel a long time ago--it wasn't bad as far as cheap horror rip-offs go. Opera, on the other hand, is a classic.
                3 on a Meathook is a classic!! Hell I really believed Billy was the killer for a long time. But then the father was shown to be the actual butcher and I'll never forget the ending. The shrink says something to the effect of "Billy, your father is a basically good man, but he was driven to insane murder because of your mother's cannibalism". LOL.

The entire movie is absurd but so are all my favorite horror flicks. Check out The Severed Arm, Scream Bloody Murder, Legacy of Blood, Cannibal Man (has nothing to do with cannibals), The Corpse Grinders, Frightmare, Schizo, just too many too list. But the last two, do actually make some sense as does the super great Silent Night, Deadly Night. And virtually all Fulci and Argento flicks are great, and a few by the Bavas also.

Comment

Originally posted by theenormityofitall View Post
                  3 on a Meathook is a classic!! Hell I really believed Billy was the killer for a long time. But then the father was shown to be the actual butcher and I'll never forget the ending. The shrink says something to the effect of "Billy, your father is a basically good man, but he was driven to insane murder because of your mother's cannibalism". LOL.

The entire movie is absurd but so are all my favorite horror flicks. Check out The Severed Arm, Scream Bloody Murder, Legacy of Blood, Cannibal Man (has nothing to do with cannibals), The Corpse Grinders, Frightmare, Schizo, just too many too list. But the last two, do actually make some sense as does the super great Silent Night, Deadly Night. And virtually all Fulci and Argento flicks are great, and a few by the Bavas also.
                  Wow! I feel like I live underneath a rock because I've never heard of any of these. I love crazy B movies so I guess I will look these up on NetFlix.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

In college (the VHS age), OK Family Video had a horror section that was nearly half the store! I spent hours just pouring over the various titles, then looked for them on late nite cable TV. As well as renting them. Most of them had sensationalized poster that depicted scenes in a far worse way than they actually were. But it worked. People watched them. 3 on a Meathook was one of the more memorable VHS covers I remember. That and Anthropophagus.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by copefiend2 View Post
                      Wow! I feel like I live underneath a rock because I've never heard of any of these. I love crazy B movies so I guess I will look these up on NetFlix.
                      Oh man lol, if you like those types, I could give you a few dozen titles, I have 'em all. But SNDN is one of the best but Scream Bloody Murder is one of those films you have to see to believe. It's incredibly gory for a movie I think was made in 1973. But look up Criminally Insane if you want to have an incredible experience. I have no idea how they put so many murders in a 60 minute film. And the people all talk weird and look distorted Lmao. You really have to get that one. Just get the DVD version with I think Satan's Black Wedding on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                        In college (the VHS age), OK Family Video had a horror section that was nearly half the store! I spent hours just pouring over the various titles, then looked for them on late nite cable TV. As well as renting them. Most of them had sensationalized poster that depicted scenes in a far worse way than they actually were. But it worked. People watched them. 3 on a Meathook was one of the more memorable VHS covers I remember. That and Anthropophagus.
                        I still have tons of VHS tapes....I have 2 TVs with built in VCRs as well as 5 seperate VCRs so I'll always be able to watch them. It takes me back to the good old days before all this high tech crap came out. Life was so much more simple in those days.
                        Anthropophagus...I have the "limited" of that one lol. It's boring as hell for a long time then of course, it has that very sick scene in it if you have the uncut version. Check out the sequal Monster Hunter...more action, better movie.

Comment

Melancholia: Another cinematic bout of director Lars Von Trier's depression. After a spectacular prologue of the Earth being destroyed by the orbit of a previously undiscovered planet (accompanied by Wagner's majestic and apocalyptic "Tristan and Isolde"), we meet a seemingly happy newlywed couple on their way to the wedding reception. The bride, played by Kirsten Dunst, stops to admire an unusual star in the night sky (the planet Melancholia). After that, chaos takes hold, ruining everything. Is the bride's melancholic state caused by the appearance of the planet? has she always been that way? We don't know, but then nothing that happens does so with the urgency of a conventional plot. The movie is divided ito two parts: "Justine" (the bride) and "Claire" (her sister). And it seems that the two switch personalities in the second part. Beautiful in it's muted colors (just as the color and richness is drained from a melancholiac's world), operatic, and heart-wrenching, this movie isn't an easy ride. But then no Von Trier film is. But it's always worth it. The film stands for the idea that we are alone in the universe and nothing we do really matters. The irony is, of course, that because we are able to produce art like this film, that idea must be false--even if for a short time.

4.5/5
                          Last edited by srboone; 01-09-2012, 10:58 AM. Reason: watched it again and upped the rating.SRB
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Ever thought about starting a movie review blog Squire?

Comment

trying to get rid of me Pete?
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Hello

Well written, give him vodka! :P

Comment

Working...
                                X