No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched DAMIEN: OMEN II the other night, for the first time since I was a kid. I've never seen it uncut before. Not as good as I remember it being 40-some-odd years ago, but it was a decent flick. OMEN III is next. Again, I saw it on TV when I was a kid, and have very little recollection of it.

I also watched the first two episodes of the new Guillermo Del Toro series, CABINET OF CURIOSITIES. The first episode, LOT 36, was decent, but we've all seen/read this type of story before, and it goes nowhere new. The 2nd, GRAVEYARD RATS, LOOKED great, and had a great creature, but it was so wildly overacted, and the weird, jaunty music did nothing for the atmosphere they were trying to build.
    http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was going to give that a go tonight or tomorrow. Maybe I'll look for something else. Plenty of options out there.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post

I also watched the first two episodes of the new Guillermo Del Toro series, CABINET OF CURIOSITIES. The first episode, LOT 36, was decent, but we've all seen/read this type of story before, and it goes nowhere new. The 2nd, GRAVEYARD RATS, LOOKED great, and had a great creature, but it was so wildly overacted, and the weird, jaunty music did nothing for the atmosphere they were trying to build.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm trying to watch Bad Times at the El Royale and with 44 minutes I may tap out. To me this feels like someone trying really, really, really hard to be cool but their lameness still finds it's way to the surface.

2 out of 5.

Edit/Update: Finished the whole movie. Keeping the rating the same.
        Last edited by Ben Staad; 11-05-2022, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          t

Great review, Jeff. You did the exact same thing that I did....I kept sitting there mumbling "Why...? What were they thinking?"

A movie like this should write itself. JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM set up a stupid, but fun, premise for the third film in the trilogy: Dinosaurs are loose in civilization, and running wild. So we're going to finally see dinos running amuck in cities, people fighting for their lives as a T-Rex smashes into their house, kids and pets being snatched up by Pterodactyls!!! Fuck that! Let's do giant crop-eating locusts instead! That's the same kind of mentality at work here. WE KNOW BETTER THAN THE FANS. They want THIS, but we'll give them THAT, and they'll fucking love it, or else. Jamie Lee Curtis and the filmmakers have been giving interviews where they laugh about how much fans are going to hate this film. So....why make it?

I was blown away by the 2018 HALLOWEEN, and it ended on a perfect note. Michael was dead, Laurie beat him at his own game. The film was good enough that I had faith the filmmakers would be able to pull off a trilogy, but I wondered what they could possibly do to fill two more films. Now we know they had no plan at all. I enjoyed HALLOWEEN KILLS for the great gore and kills, and the beast-mode Michael Myers, despite some REALLY cringey dialogue (EVIL DIES TONIGHT!!) and the lack of Laurie, but, taking the trilogy as a whole, it was clear that they had no idea what to do after the first film.

Spoiler!

This was just....bad. Insulting. The choppiness of the editing makes me think that there is a whole other film out there somewhere, that will probably be cobbled into a Director's cut at some point. It probably won't make it a GOOD film, but it might make it a bit more coherent.

At the end of the day, I can tell myself that three generations of Strode women trapped Michael in a burning house, and evil died there. That was a fitting, satisfying ending.
          Fantastic review! Now I'm pissed all over again!

Comment

I just watched Wes Craven Presents Carniival of Souls (1998). This Carnival of Souls has some good scenes. The plot? jumps around. It's not an awful movie. It only has the name of the original 1962 movie Carnival of Souls and the same type of revelation at the end. The original movie IMO is far superior. I have the original movie and have watched and do love it.

Cap
            Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
              I just watched Wes Craven Presents Carniival of Souls (1998). This Carnival of Souls has some good scenes. The plot? jumps around. It's not an awful movie. It only has the name of the original 1962 movie Carnival of Souls and the same type of revelation at the end. The original movie IMO is far superior. I have the original movie and have watched and do love it.

Cap
              I really need to get around to watching the original again. I remember catching most of it on the Sci-Fi Channel like 25 years ago. I’ve been eyeing the Criterion blu-ray for years but keep pushing it off for some reason.

Comment

Tried to watch Lamb and while I enjoy a slow pace this thing was glacial. I didn't finish it but may give it a try at another time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                  Tried to watch Lamb and while I enjoy a slow pace this thing was glacial. I didn't finish it but may give it a try at another time.
                  I struggled with the pacing at first as well until I realized that the movie was more a leisurely stroll rather than a sprint. In hindsight, my appreciation for it has grown, but it isn't really a movie I'd recommend.

Comment

3 out of 5 for a action movie. 2 out of 5 for a general movie. Bullet Train. If you saw the trailer you pretty much get the gist of the movie. It could have been 30 minutes shorter.

Comment

3 out of 5 for a action movie. 2 out of 5 for a general movie. Bullet Train. If you saw the trailer you pretty much get the gist of the movie. It could have been 30 minutes shorter.
                      That's a bummer. I was looking forward to that one. Trailer was great but overall reception, including your post, has been lukewarm.

Comment

The Untouchables (1987): I had really good memories of this film: Ness's initial bust gone wrong, the raid on the bridge, the scene in the train station. These were all seared into my brain from watching it when I was younger. Upon rewatching the movie last night, I found out why: There's nothing to the movie than the recognizable set pieces. It's like all the connective tissue in the film was removed, including any sort of arc to the characters or even something to make them rise above being fairly stereotypical. This results in a rapid fire pace, but absolutely no tension in the proceedings and wound up being rather boring. Grade: C

Comment

Caught this on streaming a few nights ago, and was pretty disappointed...was hoping/expecting better. 2 out of 5 (for any kind of movie) sounds about right to me.
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

There are many things I didn't care for but the little vignettes early on really pulls you out of the movie. It also had that feel of trying to be to cool. It did not work.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

Caught this on streaming a few nights ago, and was pretty disappointed...was hoping/expecting better. 2 out of 5 (for any kind of movie) sounds about right to me.

Comment

Saw Cocaine Bear the other night.

It was neither as funny or as gory as I was lead to believe.

Both would have helped.

2 / 5

Comment

Originally posted by brlesh View Post
                                Saw Cocaine Bear the other night.

It was neither as funny or as gory as I was lead to believe.

Both would have helped.

2 / 5
                                I haven't seen the movie, but the overall feel that I got from the marketing was that it wants to be this cool cult movie and that type of marketing rather turns me off. The term "cult film," to me, is one that can only be attributed after the fact by the audience's reaction to the film. Any attempt to fabricate this type of audience reaction or film aesthetic always fails because it misunderstands that true cult films aren't winking at the audience, letting them know that the filmmakers are in on the joke. The filmmakers of actual cult films were just trying to make a good film, while a deliberate attempt to replicate the feel of the cult film comes off as trying too hard to ironically hip. I'm not sure what the intention of the Cocaine Bear's filmmakers were, but that was the feeling I got from the trailers and that's just not my cup of joe.

Comment

Working...
                                X