No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently saw Smile and got bored with it quickly. I'll get around to watching the new Hellraiser at some point. Although I've never been a fan of the franchise. My wife loves them and has seen them multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      I recently saw Smile and got bored with it quickly. I'll get around to watching the new Hellraiser at some point. Although I've never been a fan of the franchise. My wife loves them and has seen them multiple times.
      The previews of Smile have pretty much convinced me I do not need to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post

The previews of Smile have pretty much convinced me I do not need to see it.
        I think that it could have been really good but it was just too slow.

Comment

I think that it could have been really good but it was just too slow.
          I can't exactly say why the previews turn me off. The concept could be good, but the previews just strike me as dumb.

Comment

I can't exactly say why the previews turn me off. The concept could be good, but the previews just strike me as dumb.
            If it comes to a service you're subscribed to, you could give it a go. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste your time or money. It only cost me 5 bucks because I go to the movies on cheap Tuesday.

Comment

If it comes to a service you're subscribed to, you could give it a go. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste your time or money. It only cost me 5 bucks because I go to the movies on cheap Tuesday.
              I have a membership at AMC. I can go to as many as three movies a week with no additional expense. I am trying to see one movie a week but do not always make it. That is also why I have seen the trailer so many times. Basically, I can see it for free and have no desire to based on the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                I've been on a Halloween tear since October 1st, trying to watch some Horror or Horror adjacent stuff every night. I've already lost track of everything I've watched, but here's what I can recall:

I finished the last few episodes of WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS. They somehow managed to make me laugh my ass off and tear up a few times, especially in the last episode. The Laszlo/Baby Colin Robinson relationship was hysterical and poignant. I'll really miss these characters until season five premieres.

SPEAK NO EVIL has been getting a ton of buzz, so I had high hopes. It IS very off-putting and disturbing, but....I must just have seen too many movies, because I saw the end coming a mile away. The characters also made one HUGE, dumb mistake that took me right out of the movie.

V/H/S: I finally got around to watching this, and it was SO FUCKING LONG. Waaaaay too long. I was underwhelmed. One good story, a few predictable ones, and at least one that seemed like it was shot by a kid for a budget of five bucks.

THE CURSED was marketed as a Werewolf movie, and it kinda/sorta was.....not quite, but close enough. Aside from the cheesy CGI on the creature, this was a very good film. Atmospheric, creepy, well-acted, great-looking. This would probably be my highest recommendation out of what I've watched so far this season.

THE CURSE OF ROBERT THE DOLL is a Travel Channel special about the famous cursed doll. Good for what it was. (I love this kind of stuff!) My wife was terrified.....

HELLRAISER premiered this past Friday on Hulu, and was....OK, I guess. Nice to see the franchise get a budget finally. There was a lot I liked (Good effects, decent acting), but, again....SOOOOO LONG. This could have lost, at LEAST, 30 minutes and not suffered a bit. I was not in love with the new Pinhead, but she did her best. The kind of movie you watch and then instantly forget.

X.....Aside from the short in V/H/S, this was mu first Ti West film. Very predictable, but at least it was different. A horny geriatric woman killing people is a first for me. This also seemed a little longer than it needed to be, but it moved along quickly enough, had some good acting and effects, and has me interested in seeing the prequel, PEARL.

I also watched a three-part documentary on Hulu called SASQUATCH, about a triple-homicide that fingered the titular beast as the killer. The first episode does a deep-dive into Bigfoot mythology, and the last two go to some VERY disturbing places. Overall, a very compelling mini-series that I highly recommend.

And I've been dipping in and out of the new Shudder 101 SCARIEST HORROR SCENES, which is totally misnamed, as its more a rundown of FILMS, not scenes. Again, my wife was scared/disgusted, and walked out, lol. I have no one to share the Halloween season with.....
                I love WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS. It took me a bit to warm up to the series as I think the movie is perfection, but I am really enjoying it now.

I also saw the new Hellraiser, but I'll put my thoughts for that in another post because I have MANY.

I'm trying to work X into my horror viewing this Halloween season, but I'll have to see if I can as I already have a lot lined up. For Ti West, I highly recommend THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL, which is a great throwback horror movie. I also really enjoyed THE INNKEEPERS, but it is a slow watch and how much you enjoy the movie depends on how you feel about the main characters.

SASQUATCH was a good watch. I saw that when it first came out and remember enjoying, but like a lot of documentaries nowadays, I felt it ran a little long.

And, finally, my wife and I have been making our way through Shudder's 101 SCARIEST as well. I agree with your comment that it does tend to lose its focus on the "scene" and winds up just talking about the film. I also kinda feel their stretching with some of the additions--US was just not scary to me--but that's part of the fun of these shows: arguing their choices as you watch it. For some reason, my wife LOVES this show even though is not a big horror fan. If you haven't seen it, I think Bravo did a VERY similar show back around 2004 that I really liked. It had commentary from Eli Roth and John Landis, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Mr. Harrigan's Phone. 4 out of 5 stars.

Solid film all the way around. This screamed SK to me and it was so very well done. The lead actor was fantastic. Donald Sutherland was cast perfectly and the rest of the supporting cast fit their roles very well. Atmospheric, thoughtful, and suspenseful.

Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

Solid film all the way around. This screamed SK to me and it was so very well done. The lead actor was fantastic. Donald Sutherland was cast perfectly and the rest of the supporting cast fit their roles very well. Atmospheric, thoughtful, and suspenseful.
                    Glad to hear that. I really loved the story and liked the two main actors. I had fears they could make it corny, glad to hear that they did not. Will try to watch it this weekend! Thanks!

Comment

Hope you like it.

Glad to hear that. I really loved the story and liked the two main actors. I had fears they could make it corny, glad to hear that they did not. Will try to watch it this weekend! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

Yes, a very well done movie. I was hesitant myself because I enjoyed the story. Highly recommended.
                        I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Thanks for talking up MR. HARRIGAN'S PHONE....I had no idea this was available already. Netflix puts out these movies with absolutely no fanfare, advertising, or publicity. I couldn't even FIND it on Netflix until I did a search. Netflix should pretty much know my viewing habits by now, so I expected this to pop right up, but, no....I had to search for it.

Solid film! Great performances, and an engaging story. Typical King, in a good way. People equate King with scares, but, to me, the scenes of Craig and Harrigan sitting around talking were the best parts. King excels at dialogue and relationships, and this film was a perfect example. I really enjoyed it.

HALLOWEEN ENDS tonight....
                          http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes! When I mentioned this movie screams SK those scenes are what I am referring to.

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                            People equate King with scares, but, to me, the scenes of Craig and Harrigan sitting around talking were the best parts. King excels at dialogue and relationships, and this film was a perfect example. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Craig: Mr. Harrigan, has anyone ever tried to take advantage of you? How'd you deal with that?
                              Mr. Harrigan: Harshly.
                              I'm the Caretaker of Room 217. I've always been the Caretaker of Room 217.

Comment

Halloween Horror Movie #2:

I SEE YOU: Probably the easiest way to explain this movie would be: "Estranged by an affair, a married couple and their teenage son begin to experience weird occurrences around their house while the husband, a police detective, begins to investigate the possible return of a serial killer." To say much more about the plot would spoil the twists and turns that the movie takes and, to be honest, that might be the only reason to take this ride. This movie seems to have split audiences quite a bit between people who love it and those decidedly don't. I somehow fall right in the middle. The film is quite ambitious in what it is trying to accomplish and I appreciate the big swings it takes. Unfortunately, some of these twists make some of the characters make decisions that don't quite make sense in the moment. Couple this with the fact that the movie moves at a breakneck pace, the movie starts to show its cracks. If the movie had just taken its time to build up some of the families' motivations better, I'd have walked away being able to give this a higher recommendation. As it is, its worth a watch on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Grade: C

Comment

Working...
                                X