Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
    Thanks for the input, Joe.
    You're welcome but should take my ratings with a grain of salt. I am easily entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      Has anyone seen 10 Cloverfield Lane yet? The kid and I are baching it while the cat's away and was thinking about taking in a show. Have to wait to see Batman/Superman upon her return.
      Well, I saw it late this evening and I left feeling, meh. Probably should have seen Deadpool instead .

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
        I enjoyed batman vs. superman as well. Don't know what the critics are talking about.
        I agree 100% with you. I saw Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice tonight and I really enjoyed it. This movie was not at all what I had expected-It was much better than I anticipated and I'm very glad I was able to see it in a theater. The twist ending with Doomsday appearing very late in the movie caught me off guard. My one minor gripe was the action was a bit too fast at times. I'm a comic book reader and very familiar with the characters involved in this movie. The plot twist and turns were a bit fast.

Cap
        Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I did see 10 Cloverfield Lane. I basically had not heard anything about this movie. I would classify it as a suspense/horror flick. John Goodman was great and his character hard to figure out. There were genuine horror moments- like the zombie-like woman at the outside bunker door when Michelle tried to escape earlier in the movie. I thought 10 Cloverfield Lane was very well done. The ending was exceptional.

Cap
          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

He Never Died

A biblical badass played by Henry Rollins wants nothing more than to be left alone when his estranged daughter from a long gone relationship appears out of nowhere. Enemies use the girl to exact revenge upon the mysterious immortal and all hell breaks loose.

Deadpan, confused Rollins successfully carries the film in addition to great action where our hero disarms, maims and kills his attackers while ignoring heavy damage taken until the fighting is finished. It’s great action for those that want a break from modern comic book movie flashbulb effects. By comparison this one is slow and dangerous.

4 stars
            “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
            -John Barth

https://bugensbooks.com/

Comment

Hush:

I've sung director Mike Flanagan's praises before on this thread for both Absentia and Oculus and I will proudly do it once more for his latest horror/thriller, Hush.

Though rather well-received critically, Oculus did not set the box office on fire and the general consensus was that movie-goers had a problem the non-traditional narrative of the story. For his latest film, Flanagan counters that criticism with giving us a stripped down, bared bones story about a deaf and mute woman trapped in her rural home by the killer lurking right outside her door.

And it works. Man, does it work! And I contribute this to the fact that Flanagan--who also co-wrote the script with lead actress Kate Siegel--truly understands the cinematic nature of these films, whether it be the soft moments of friendship between Siegel's character and her neighbor/friend, Sarah, or the patience that must be had to slowly build tension. Not to mention, that he isn't afraid to populate this film with characters that you can relate to and truly come to like. (Any one who has a complicated love/hate relationship with a cat before, will crack a smile at the fact that Siegel's character has lovingly named her cat "Bitch".) The cast is uniformly great with especially great turns by Siegel as the vulnerable yet resilient Maddie and John Gallagher Jr as the killer, but Flanagan allows everyone in his small cast to shine.

This movie is currently streaming on Netflix and I recommend everyone to give this movie a shot.

Grade: A

Comment

Just finished KRAMPUS and I thought it was an absolute blast and will be going into heavy rotation during the holiday season. The monsters were great, the tone was perfect and overall it was decidedly dark fun. Grade B+

Comment

Green Room:

A week or so back I sang the praises of director Mike Flanagan’s newest movie, Hush (which I still recommend checking out if you haven’t yet), a tense little thriller about a deaf and mute woman trapped in her secluded home and being tormented by a sadistic killer. It had been a while since I’d seen such a well-crafted thriller that so fluently spoke the cinematic language of suspense and world-building that I was fully enraptured during its runtime. I was fully ready to label it the “best thriller of 2016” and call it a day.

And then today I saw Jeremy Saulnier’s, Green Room. If Hush is the belligerent drunk with a short fuse who’s one misstep away from erupting in violence and ruining the party, then Green Room is the enraged sociopath high on PCP kicking in your front door.

The Ain’t Rights are a punk band on the skids, dirt poor and resorting to siphoning stolen gas to make it to the end of their tour. Broke, but looking for ways to make ends meet for one more day, the band decides to take an impromptu gig playing in a skinhead bar in the middle of nowhere. When one misstep leads the group to stumble on a violent crime, it becomes a struggle of survival as the small band are trapped in a room with a group of angry neo-nazis violently knocking at their door. The remaining runtime is a brutal, white-knuckle tale of survival.

I wasn’t blown away by Saulnier’s previous film, Blue Ruin¸ as everyone else seemed to be, but I liked it well enough. This one, though, knocked me flat-back in my seat. There’s a symphony being orchestrated on the screen, one that involves blood and viscera, tears and lost hope; a melody that dips its toe straight into genre conventions, but chooses not to relish in the some of the genre’s theatricality. Its violence is sharp and shocking. Not just because it looks real—and it does—but because it feels real. Because the people feel real. Saulnier trains his camera on the heroes and villains—though the film and the choices made by the fantastic cast doesn’t let you off with such easy distinctions—and allows these small moments to slip through that punctuate the violence, grounding it in humanity as much as thriller spectacle to remind you that it is all hard, it’s all dark and gruesome. That violence is violence regardless of who it is perpetrated against.

Powerful, painfully suspenseful, shocking and well-executed, I can say that Green Room will definitely be in my Top 5 Movies of 2016.

Grade: A+

Here’s the link to the red band trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP0Ic6-OShE
                  Last edited by Sock Monkey; 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Sweet review, sounds like a good one!
                    -John Barth

Comment

Just finished a series marathon of The Sopranos, the first I'd ever seen of it, and consider this one of the greatest television shows of all time.

I think a lot of people got hitched to the idea of characters they loved to hate, the popular cliche. But for me it was characters that I loved to love, knowing it's morally questionable to do so. Brilliant writing and acting with penetrating insights into the human psyche, I will never forget this series.

5 stars
                      -John Barth

Comment

Had a chance to watch The Darkness recently, with Kevin Bacon. I enjoyed it - but the storyline has certainly been done before.
                        10 Cloverfield Lane - This too was well done. I had watched the beginning half about 3 times before I could finally sit down and watch the entire movie. It's a good "what's actually going on?" type of movie.

Comment

The Darkness starring Kevin Bacon...I actually liked this movie...family goes to Arizona (or one of those states..lol)...mom, dad, sis and bro were on vacation...son finds some stones which turned out to be from an Indian Reservation....stuff starts to happen once the family gets home...not totally scary but it was just enough to make it interesting.

Comment

Let's see...

The Witch: Scary and unsettling. Based on New England folklore. One of the best of recent horror films. 4.5/5

X-Men: Apocalypse: Not a good year for superhero movies so far. A mess. 2/5

Angry Birds: The Movie: Took my nephew to this for his 10th birthday. He liked it, but it was a very unfunny movie, though beautifully animated. 2/5

The Purge: Election Year: Probably the best of the series, though none of the movies comes close to tapping the satirical potential of the premise. The idea of "Purge" tourism was good, but nothing came of it. Still this film taps into the paranoia of our times and provides some grim, nasty, nihilistic thrills. If you're into that. 3/5

Ghostbusters: Caught an advance screening, glad I didn't have to pay to see it. Lord, this film sucked. Unfunny, bad acting (especially McKinnon mugging for the camera, trying to steal every scene she's in, when she should be reacting to what's going on around her; but lets not leave out Chris Hemsworth who tries to be funny instead of try to create a funny character.). Forgettable villain, bad special effects, uninspired direction. Even the cameos from stars of the better Ghostbusters are awful. Murray sounds like he doesn't want to be in the movie. Painful on every level. If you insist on seeing it in theaters, choose the least expensive showing. It may hurt less. 1/5
                            "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
                              Let's see...

The Witch: Scary and unsettling. Based on New England folklore. One of the best of recent horror films. 4.5/5

X-Men: Apocalypse: Not a good year for superhero movies so far. A mess. 2/5

Angry Birds: The Movie: Took my nephew to this for his 10th birthday. He liked it, but it was a very unfunny movie, though beautifully animated. 2/5

The Purge: Election Year: Probably the best of the series, though none of the movies comes close to tapping the satirical potential of the premise. The idea of "Purge" tourism was good, but nothing came of it. Still this film taps into the paranoia of our times and provides some grim, nasty, nihilistic thrills. If you're into that. 3/5

Ghostbusters: Caught an advance screening, glad I didn't have to pay to see it. Lord, this film sucked. Unfunny, bad acting (especially McKinnon mugging for the camera, trying to steal every scene she's in, when she should be reacting to what's going on around her; but lets not leave out Chris Hemsworth who tries to be funny instead of try to create a funny character.). Forgettable villain, bad special effects, uninspired direction. Even the cameos from stars of the better Ghostbusters are awful. Murray sounds like he doesn't want to be in the movie. Painful on every level. If you insist on seeing it in theaters, choose the least expensive showing. It may hurt less. 1/5

Finally - someone who shares my thoughts on The Witch! My wife hated it - thought it was boring, etc.

Still waiting to catch Conjuring 2.

Comment

I really enjoyed Conjuring 2 but I suck at writing reviews so that's the best I can do for ya LOL. I've heard great things about The Witch also. Need to check that out. I've only seen the original The Purge and thought it was ok for what it was.

Comment

Working...
                                X