No announcement yet.

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron Man 3: Tony Stark returns to Malibu and begins suffering from PTSD from his adventures with aliens in New York. Meanwhile, a figure from his past returns for, well, unclear motives. This film was fun for the first 90 minutes, then the film delivers the punch line to the one joke it has--and it's a good one. One I did not see coming and didn't want to believe at first. But then it goes through the motions of delivering an empty shell (literally) big spectacle finale for 45 more minutes. Robert Downey, Jr. is as good as he always has been in IM's armor, but here his character is now a parody of itself. Ben Kinsley has the best role in the film (and he disappears halfway through--part of that joke). But I did like the after credits tag. I honestly don't remember the 3D, so I don't know if it's worth it or not. When mixing man and machine in movie franchises, the machine usually comes out on top by the third film, suffocating the element that made it worthwhile to begin with.

3/5
    Last edited by srboone; 05-03-2013, 12:26 PM.
    "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

I saw Iron Man 3 earlier tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I probably would have rated it higher than Squire, but I'm a sucker for superhero movies and I enjoyed every Iron Man movie just as much as the previous. As for the plot twist, I'll leave that for the spoiler tag.

Spoiler!
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I know most people will rate the movie higher, but I gotta go with my gut and I was bored the last 45 minutes of the movie. But, it's gonna be a blockbuster, probably not on par with The Avengers, but close. I wouldn't be surprised to see an Iron Man 4 sooner rather than later.
        "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

The last flick I watched was The Hunger Games. Hadn't read the book but I eventually bought the hype and decided to give it a go. I preferred Battle Royal, the profuse amounts of gore and ridiculous scenarios were awesome. The Hunger Games, to me, was just too sanitized.

Comment

Silver Linings Playbook-This movie was great. Cooper and Lawrence were fantastic with a script that was witty and funny and didn't talk down to the audience. I've grown increasingly impressed with Bradley Cooper's choices of roles. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie along with The Words and A Place Beyond the Pines. I might becoming a Bradley Cooper fan. Jennifer Lawrence's performance was great and I can definitely see why she won an Oscar. Fun, heart-felt, quirky, and Robert DeNiro. What more could you ask for? Rating: A-

Comment

I tried to stay away since I don't know what's gonna happen on Tuesday (maybe a discount offered to CDCC members will offset the cost of the movie), but I just couldn't...

Mud: Two Arkansas teens befriend a mysterious drifter on a island in the Mississippi River and try to help him reunite with the one true of in his life. A sweet, gentle, unsentimental coming-of-age-story with a fine performance by Matthew McConaughey. It seems that he's pretty good when he isn't fawning over himself. A few things are off in this movie (Sam Shephard's reclusive sharpshooter rings hollow, as do the gang of killers) and there are a few too many distracting subplots; but overall, this beautifully photographed and touching movie is one of the best of 2013 so far.

4/5
              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Silver Linings was actually pretty good - recently saw it on Dish Cinema. I liked it. Mama was nothing to get excited about, underwhelming for sure. Others I recently watched include Texas Chainsaw (what was 3D in movie theatres), this wasn't bad, wasn't good either. More about eye candy, than story it seemed to me.

Also saw Guilt Trip, which was pretty good. I like Seth Rogan generally, plus bonus points as he's Canadian!

None of these though really made much of an impression on me.

I saw Jack Reacher last night too, and this was actually pretty good. I missed a few parts here and there doing laundry and stuff, but I would definately sit down and watch it end to end again.

Comment

Just finished watching Apt Pupil for the first time. It's been a long time (sometime in the 80s) since I read the novella so I can't do a good comparison but I thought it was pretty good. I visited the Auschwitz concentration camp back in the early 90s and that put the story in a different perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by TJCams View Post
                    Also saw Guilt Trip, which was pretty good. I like Seth Rogan generally
                    I really liked the actress who played his mum. Can't think of her name right now..Barbara something....but I swear I've seen her before.....

sk

Comment

Watched Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, also known as The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue from 1974. It's one of those great Italian/Spanish horror films set abroad and unlike many other similar movies; they actually don't overuse the native slang too much.

It was an enjoyable movie from beginning to end but it really is one of those movies you can only sit down and appreciate if you understand how movies were directed back then. The gluttonous amounts of foreplay leading up to the final showdown as well as the long drawn-out death scenes and such. Nothing entirely new for a zombie flick at all, but still worth your time if you've a gore fetish.
                      Last edited by Liam Doyle; 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's a great one. That one is a Spanish flick, and doesn't quite go as over the top gore as some of the Italian ones and had a pretty cool story and commentary about chemical use (kind of a propos, as i am reading the Fog by james Herbert right now). It's sort of slow, but I am used to that in movies. In fact I prefer a slow burn to all out action most of the time.
                        Last edited by Theli; 05-17-2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                          Yeah that`s a great one. That one is a Spanish flick, and doesn`t quite as over the top gore as some of the Italian ones and had a pretty cool story and commentary about chemical use (kind of a propos, as i am reading the Fog by james Herbert right now). It`s sort of slow, but I am used to that in movies. In fact I prefer a slow burn to all out action most of the time.
                          I'd agree man, the slow burn of the 60s/70s horror and gialo films was always great for building atmosphere. The only problem with the way the movies creep along is that sometimes you don't get compensated with the ending. I remember one film in particular that was especially ridiculous but without any kind of pay-off, it was called Alien Dead. I suspect you've already seen it but on the off-chance you haven't I should recommend Tombs of the Blind Dead. Great movie as far as atmosphere goes.

Comment

Got the boxset of the series. Tombs of the Blind Dead and Night of the Seagulls are the best, but the other two are good as well. I haven't seen Alien Dead, probably won't now either. Same thing with Franco's Oasis of the Dead, so slow and so boring and next to no pay off (a bit of zombie action).

Comment

Originally posted by Theli View Post
                              Got the boxset of the series. Tombs of the Blind Dead and Night of the Seagulls are the best, but the other two are good as well. I haven't seen Alien Dead, probably won't now either. Same thing with Franco's Oasis of the Dead, so slow and so boring and next to no pay off (a bit of zombie action).
                              Whoa man, I've been threatening to watch Oasis of the Dead for a long time now. Glad I didn't bother with it now. A warning for a warning. I might check out Night of the Seagulls tonight. I like to chase all-nighter studying with a large dose of movie bloodshed.

Comment

The perfect way to unwind!

Comment

Working...
                                X